Explain PvP Matching to Me?

mazerat
mazerat Posts: 118
edited April 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm on Day 85 at 639 in Lethal Intent, rank #44. 3 players in my ten group (657-628) are shielded. 8 of the top 10 (1720-921) are shielded. I am getting matched up against a group of about 7 people worth 16-30 points no matter how many 100s of ISO I burn on skips. Sometimes I skip into the exact same person. There are obviously people with actual point totals available for me to fight and I don't understand why I'm not getting matched with any of them.

This seems to be a pretty regular occurrence for me in PvP and I was hoping someone could explain why.

Comments

• Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    The new matchmaking system takes a few different factors into consideration when matching you with opponents. I believe it looks at your current ranking on the leaderboards as its first priority, and then it looks at your roster character levels and average covers on characters.

Whether it looks at just the characters you are choosing to use or if it evaluates your entire roster, I cannot really say. It tries to match you with similar rosters to your own that are in the same general place on the leaderboards.

Note that you may not be matched against only people in your particular bracket, so even if there are unshielded people in your ranking neighborhood in your bracket, you may not necessarily even see them in your skip rotations. Theoretically, you should see people near your total point value more than others, but in practice, I'm not sure that it always works that way. It also seems to me that the number of huge point value hits that are open to you are generally diminished in the new system as the various slices fill.

Hopefully this helps some!
  • mazerat
    mazerat Posts: 118
    Thanks! I honestly feel like I got gated out of Gamora and Storm covers and I'm super frustrated with PvP under the new system as a result. Before, I could hit 800 by burning lots of HP when I wanted the covers but now the points just aren't there.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not sure I understand the problem.

We're you getting matched against teams you couldn't beat, or teams you could beat but weren't worth as much as you wanted?

If the game were matching you against more reasonable opponents rather than higher scoring opponents, it may be beneficial to you because you may not be showing up as free points for 4 and 5 star teams so you would have the time to fight the extra matches without dropping points.

But if the game were matching you against difficult low scoring challenges then that's the worst of both worlds.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Maze, most likely those that are higher up than you but are not shielded have a higher MMR (match-making ranking) than you. MMR is determined by the top 3 characters on your roster, including boosts and accounting for covers (the fix basically stopped me from being able to q a 2* guy with a single 5* cover when I have a lvl 360 7 cover 5*---not much I know but there it is). At a certain point the system takes MMR out of effect and will allow you to find anyone who has a higher score than you, because there are so few targets). Depending on your roster, many higher are remaining shielded with similar MMR and you can't find the others because you're not high enough up to be over the mass of unshielded people regardless of MMR. Hope this explains it some.