Read 15,000 Marvel comics for 99 cents

Options
Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
At Marvel's site, 15 thousand comics are offered for 99 cents.

The illustrious disclaimer:
Offer valid 3/1/14 12:01 AM EST to 3/14/14 11:59 PST. Offer available only for new and former (now-canceled) Marvel Unlimited members. Valid only on monthly Marvel Unlimited subscriptions. First month billed at 99 cents; subsequent months billed at the then current monthly rate. Auto-renewal and other terms and conditions apply.

Some of the comic covers for MPQ might be within these 15,000.

Comments

• I'm a Marvel Unlimited annual subscriber. Worth every penny. And yes, most of the comics which have covers featured in the game are available through Unlimited!

It tends to run about a year or so behind 'current', but as I don't mind not being bang up to date it's great for me. I did my years of paying $80 a month on my comics. Now I pay less than that a year for Unlimited! I still buy some trades though, and my library actually keeps a good stock.

Anyway, back to Unlimited. Major arcs from recent years are featured. Planet Hulk, House of M, Civil War, Secret Invasion, and... Dark Reign!

The iPad app is decent too, and they've ironed out most of the early bugs.
  • allorin wrote:
    I'm a Marvel Unlimited annual subscriber. Worth every penny. And yes, most of the comics which have covers featured in the game are available through Unlimited!

It tends to run about a year or so behind 'current', but as I don't mind not being bang up to date it's great for me. I did my years of paying $80 a month on my comics. Now I pay less than that a year for Unlimited! I still buy some trades though, and my library actually keeps a good stock.

Anyway, back to Unlimited. Major arcs from recent years are featured. Planet Hulk, House of M, Civil War, Secret Invasion, and... Dark Reign!

The iPad app is decent too, and they've ironed out most of the early bugs.

Are they complete? As in, all of the tie in issues available in one complete chronological package?

I was one of the very first Marvel Digital subscribers and it was woeful. Everything was late, runs weren't complete and the comic management was virtually none existent. I actually spoke to the head of customer services at Marvel about it, it was all very cool.

Sounds like it is much improved now?
  • How easy is it to read arcs that span multiple series in order? Do they have a suggested read order that is easy to do?
  • I collected X-men, Wolverine, and Spider-man comics in my youth, but gave it up when I got to high school. Gifted my entire collection to my cousins.

Would be nice to go back and re-read some of my favorite titles and see how the artwork has evolved over time. I literally have not picked up a comic book 15 years.

Are Jim Lee and Jae Lee still working for Marvel? They were my two favorite artists.
  • Abuelo and entropic - the more recent arcs are 99%-100% complete runs, and you can order by publication order. It's not perfect in terms of chronology, but it does the trick most of the time. (If you're a stickler for chronology, you're better following one of the well known chronology's online.)

You can filter by character / team, by title (I.e. ASM vol 4), by creator, and crucially by 'event'. I.e. I just went in and selected 'Civil War', and it lists 101 issues of various titles covering the Civil War arc. Older arcs are represented too (e.g. Secret Wars, Acts of Vengeance) but these are less complete.

Forgot to mention - you can d/l up to 12 comics at a time to read offline, too.
  • I collected X-men, Wolverine, and Spider-man comics in my youth, but gave it up when I got to high school. Gifted my entire collection to my cousins.

Would be nice to go back and re-read some of my favorite titles and see how the artwork has evolved over time. I literally have not picked up a comic book 15 years.

Are Jim Lee and Jae Lee still working for Marvel? They were my two favorite artists.

Jae Lee's 'Inhumans' work was brilliant. Don't know if either of those is still doing Marvel work regularly, to be honest. Jim Lee does wfh now and again, but he's been more DC in recent years.
  • I've gotten 15,000 storm covers from MPQ but it cost me more than 99 cents icon_e_sad.gif
  • allorin wrote:
    You can filter by character / team, by title (I.e. ASM vol 4), by creator, and crucially by 'event'. I.e. I just went in and selected 'Civil War', and it lists 101 issues of various titles covering the Civil War arc. Older arcs are represented too (e.g. Secret Wars, Acts of Vengeance) but these are less complete.

That's great news, might be worth another look.

Thanks for the info.
  • allorin wrote:
    I collected X-men, Wolverine, and Spider-man comics in my youth, but gave it up when I got to high school. Gifted my entire collection to my cousins.

Jae Lee's 'Inhumans' work was brilliant. Don't know if either of those is still doing Marvel work regularly, to be honest. Jim Lee does wfh now and again, but he's been more DC in recent years.

wow, just did some googling...

Holy Tiny Kitty Batman?!!! Jim Lee and Frank Miller are doing a series together?!!!
  • It's funny looking back. My dad used to work at a printing company that printed all the UK magazines. I used to get every new mag each month for free. I had hundreds of them, but being a kid, i didnt take care of them and they got thrown away. Might have been worth a bit of cash by now.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've gone ahead and gotten this, and Marvel Unlimited works quite well so far.
  • Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Heads-up... They charged my credit card for two 99-cent charges and two $1 charges when I signed up. That was last night, no response from customer service so far.

It's not the end of the world, but you might want to check your statements.
  • I've gone ahead and gotten this, and Marvel Unlimited works quite well so far.

Yay! Welcome to the club. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Talahamut
    Talahamut Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I was just looking at this too...20 years ago I bought everything Marvel put out, but haven't read much since. How complete are the series runs? If they're still missing older issues, do they add them in pretty regularly?
  • Talahamut wrote:
    I was just looking at this too...20 years ago I bought everything Marvel put out, but haven't read much since. How complete are the series runs? If they're still missing older issues, do they add them in pretty regularly?

It's a mixed bag. It's safe to say the latest series are more complete. Marvel have been selling digital comics for a few years now. My guess is that they have a release window of about +12 months for these into the 'Unlimited' market. At the same time, they seem to be re-digitising their back catalogue. I say "re-" because I bought the ASM series on CD several years ago, which were PDFs of scans of the entire ASM run up to around #440. They were pretty **** scans. The various back issues of ASM on Unlimited I've dived into have been of a better quality, so I'm guessing Marvel are rescanning their catalogue to create their digital library.

So - they add back issues regularly, but there are still gaps. Some can be annoying. For example, they do "feature storyline" highlights each month. Several months ago they featured Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist. This was exciting to me as I'd read the first six or seven issues, but not the full run. So I read it again via Unlimited, only to find that they haven't scanned issue #13, which is the final part of the story! That was very annoying.
  • So, this is why my comic books from the 1980's are barely worth what I paid for them...
  • Pretty much! That, and online "projects" like Digital Comics Preservation (DCP). BitTorrent has a lot to answer for...
  • Talahamut
    Talahamut Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Those probably haven't been worth too much since the mid-90s. The market really bottomed out after the early-90s boom years...