state of the union

Options
kwyjibo
kwyjibo Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
edited April 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
this might be long and for that i apologize.

i am a vet. just hit day 820 on the daily resupply. i have 37 championed 3 stars. 3 champed 4 stars.

my alliance is mediocre at best. it's made up of real life friends and we have no play requirements. if we hit top 1000 i'm happy. top 500 shocks me.

i am not a whale. i do spend some money on the game but it's 20 at a time and rare. i have never joined a buyers club.

Hello, my name is clint and i have a 4-3-2 OML.

it literally feels that dirty to me to say it. to all you vets that have opened an innumerable amount of tokens more than me, and have few to 0 covers in OML, i can only say that is so terrible and sucks. i just got my 9th cover but i've had him at 8 for a couple months now.

there is literally nothing in MPQ that i can't accomplish, no reward unattainable. takes a little time but honestly not much. last night to get the 1k punisher cover, i played for 1 hour and used 2 health packs. it's that easy.

to the devs, please look at your game and no this is not a nerf OML thread. he is awesome and super fun to use. problem is if you don't have him, you're ****.

have i slayed a mighty beast? no. played incredibly well and out-thought your game? no. i'm lucky. thats all it comes down to.

please look at the state of your game that i very much enjoy playing. it's not in good shape atm. the meta is completely warped around a ridiculously OP character.

all the damage. all the heals. who plays well with him? well, frankly, everyone.

tl:dr. first world problems, i know. OML is ridiculous and it's harming the game.

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Counterpoint: Until they change PvE such that:
    It doesn't require characters that can absorb lots of damage in order to survive overscaled opponents,
    It doesn't require max speed on clears in order to avoid having to spend 8 hours a day grinding down nodes,

And until they make PvP such that:
    You won't lose 300 points if you stay out more than 8 minutes with a decent score,

OML is the only thing that's keeping this game tolerable.
  • kwyjibo
    Options
    well played sir and i see your point.

mine is what about the masses that don't have him?
  • simonsez
    Options
    kwyjibo wrote:
    well played sir and i see your point.

mine is what about the masses that don't have him?
    Depending upon their roster, they're either benefiting from easy scaling and/or noob brackets, or they're playing a game that is intolerable.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:

For those that have him. And for those that don't, it's the biggest thing keeping this game INTOLERABLE.

I've had multiple team-mates say during the PVE tests that they are only able to do them because of OML. Love having that two-cover OML still, which has made those tests impossible.

Edit - forgot to add PVP intolerable also. I see OML everywhere, and often 3/4th's of my PVP D-losses are by teams with 375+ OML's.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I just got my OML to a usable state over the weekend (5/1/1, lvl 360) I cleared every node in the final sub of PvE to 6/7 in about 2 hours, maybe a little more, using a team of OML, Iron Fist and Scarlet Witch. I used exactly zero health packs. Granted, most of the nodes were 100% goon nodes, but even on the ones that weren't, he takes out the board movers before they ever get a move off, and heals the match damage done to him back to full before the match ends. Do I want to see him nerfed? Obviously not, but he's pretty tiny kitty ridiculous...
  • simonsez
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

For those that have him. And for those that don't, it's the biggest thing keeping this game INTOLERABLE.

I've had multiple team-mates say during the PVE tests that they are only able to do them because of OML. Love having that two-cover OML still, which has made those tests impossible.
    The tests sucked for everyone. If you think people with 5*s had an easy time of it, ask folks how it was fighting Moonstones with 80k health all day. It was the tests that made things intolerable, not the presence of OML in the game.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Welcome to MPQ. Thats just the way it is. there will always be one character that stands out above the rest. Always has been, always will be. If OML were nerfed, then someone else would take his place at the top and players would use that character instead. Over the past 2 years there have been several changes to the #1 character. Now it just happens to be OML's turn. Eventually, as the game moves farther into 5* territory, a new character will be released that puts Logan to shame. It's happened many times before and will happen again. There will always be someone at the top of the food chain. Who it is will change from time to time, but there will always be someone there.

JJ
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Welcome to MPQ. Thats just the way it is. there will always be one character that stands out above the rest. Always has been, always will be. If OML were nerfed, then someone else would take his place at the top and players would use that character instead. Over the past 2 years there have been several changes to the #1 character. Now it just happens to be OML's turn. Eventually, as the game moves farther into 5* territory, a new character will be released that puts Logan to shame. It's happened many times before and will happen again. There will always be someone at the top of the food chain. Who it is will change from time to time, but there will always be someone there.

JJ

Ex-tinykitty-actly. If you nerf OML nothing will change for the better. You will have pitchfork torches rage like you've never seen before and many more vets will take their dollars to a different game. And what will change for you smug self satisfied nerfers if it happens? Nothing!

Because Green Goblin.

And that's how it is in this unbalanced power creep game. There is always going to be somebody you think is too powerful and those grapes aren't going to be any less sour when you are facing teams full of nothing but Green Goblins. That's the entire meta of this game in one easy to understand paragraph.

If you don't think I'm right, ask yourself how much better off you are now than you were before they nerfed X-force Wolvie and 4hor. those nerfs sure fixed everything, didn't they?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

JJ

Yeah, there are two ways of doing this, the traumatic one or the evolution one. When there is a nerf the outcry is heard from the moon, when a new char is released that happens to be better, we just prepare to win this new char, and we follow the new carrot.

But I think GG is a very good contender for very best char in the whole game (so I think they are doing the second method for 5s, it is just that he is super new and people still has not enough covers). I think OML is better for longer periods of play (like PvE), but GG is so much faster (better for PvP). So yeah, I think devs should release new 5s that are on par with OML and don't nerf him. In fact it would be great if the buffed SS and maybe tweaked just a little bit Phoenix and Spidey (very minor changes) to make all the 5 tier much more balanced.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    snlf25 wrote:

JJ

Ex-tinykitty-actly. If you nerf OML nothing will change for the better. You will have pitchfork torches rage like you've never seen before and many more vets will take their dollars to a different game. And what will change for you smug self satisfied nerfers if it happens? Nothing!

Because Green Goblin.

And that's how it is in this unbalanced power creep game. There is always going to be somebody you think is too powerful and those grapes aren't going to be any less sour when you are facing teams full of nothing but Green Goblins. That's the entire meta of this game in one easy to understand paragraph.

If you don't think I'm right, ask yourself how much better off you are now than you were before they nerfed X-force Wolvie and 4hor. those nerfs sure fixed everything, didn't they?

Actually, yes those nerfs did fix things for a long time. There was this middle age of the game where you could actually use many different characters. As a 3 star player at the time, I couldn't compete with 4 star players. After that nerf, and with boosting of 3 stars that followed, I could finally compete with everyone else for several months. Even against JeanBuster, a boosted 3 star team could handle them depending on the week. Then they nerfed 3 stars and undid the impact of nerfs from the past. Now I am getting beat down by a character I cannot earn no matter how much I play the game. I have opened a couple hundred legendaries by now. I have I think 3 OML covers, no black. Yes, GG would also be horrible to fight against. But the game wasn't always like this where you couldn't play without being destroyed by overpowered teams. At least I stood a chance in the post Thorverine nerf world with boosts. Now, I am being pushed down by 5 star teams I cannot beat. If they at least had a non-random way to get 5 stars, I wouldn't have such a big problem with an overpowered character, although it does ruin the game like Thorverine did. But as is, no matter what I do, as the OP said, I can't get OML except through luck.
  • snlf25
    Options
    Seems to me like I went from being eaten alive by Wolverthor to being eaten alive by fistbuster. There wasn't very long of a sweet spot to my recollection. Point being though it didn't have any great long term positive effect, neither would an oml nerf.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The thing I don't get is that all these teams are completely beatable.

Fist/Buster is very easily beatable, because Fist is made out of glass.

Jean/Buster is also beatable because once you defeat Jean, HB on his own isn't so tough.

OML/?? is also beatable. Once you defeat OML's buddies, he becomes very easy to beat. Just keep him from gaining any black, and there's nothing he can do! No buddies means that he can't do his passive red, and also his yellow is much weaker. So do some special attacks, get some strike.png and attack.png and watch him fold quickly!

People said Hood/Sentry was too tough. But it's not so tough now...

Stop complaining!

I used to only be able to get to 400-500 in pvp for at least a year, and I was fine with that. I then clawed my way to 800+, had stressful runs to 1000, never dreamed of hitting 1300. It just takes time, maybe years, and then your roster finally improves.
  • snlf25
    Options
    That's how I did it. Now I'm happy when I can find Charlie's Angels in PVP. They are my food like all the 2* stormnetos used to be. Play and evolve and don't try to take something away from other people just because you don't have it.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm with the OP - I personally get **** both ways by OML

My OML is 4/0/2 so essentially unusable without a yellow cover, however because I do have **** 4* champed (Electra, IW etc) my scaling is way high but without a self healing tank I take loads of damage in every PvE node - PvP is all but undoable as facing Lv 375+ OML's straight after the seeds.

When X-Force was ruling the roost he got nerfed (way too much imo) when Sentry/hood was ruling they also got mega-nerfed, Neither were as strong as OML.
  • kwyjibo
    Options
    i had xforce when he was a beast. most of the covers i earned but i paid for the last black.

currently, OML can only be achieved through blind luck. that was my point of the original post.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mpqr7 wrote:
    People said Hood/Sentry was too tough. But it's not so tough now...

Bad example. Both of them got nerfed and dropped completely out of the meta.
    X-Force and Thoress were unbeatable too. And they got nerfed.

Though these days D3 doesn't seem to be as willing to nerf the good combos. Jeanbuster has been the go-to 4* team for a year and nothing has even slightly changed about either of them.
  • Aidonis
    Aidonis Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Options
    mpqr7 wrote:
    OML/?? is also beatable. Once you defeat OML's buddies, he becomes very easy to beat. Just keep him from gaining any black, and there's nothing he can do! No buddies means that he can't do his passive red, and also his yellow is much weaker. So do some special attacks, get some strike.png and attack.png and watch him fold quickly!

This is fun. Are we playing the same game? You leave the OML's I have to fight alive, I could care a less how much black you're able to deny, you're dead.

I think what the op is getting at is yes, 5 stars are silly good. But oml is too much so. When a natural 3 match is 1k hp, when he's farting out 3 650+ strike tiles, and then healing 2k+ per turn. Seriously. It's like old school days with hood. The best way to counter hood was to bring your own hood. Same deal here, except it is complete rng whether or not you will get covers in oml.

Personally, I hate nerfing. I'd much rather see other characters get boosted then one get the nerf bat. I'd like to see them go that route, because if they leave oml alone, the character that bests him is going to be absurd.

This game has always been a rich get richer game, except now instead of money, it's just sheer luck. I'm not sure which I like better.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Aidonis wrote:
    mpqr7 wrote:

This is fun. Are we playing the same game? You leave the OML's I have to fight alive, I could care a less how much black you're able to deny, you're dead.

Against even ~330 OML's with Iron Fist as his partner I can only go about 50/50 with the max 3*, max/champed jeanbuster, full supply of AP boosts.

WHY the example of Sentry/Hood or XF/Thor is a bad example is it was two characters. A combo. OML is just "OML and anybody".

As to "there will be a next best"...yes, yes there will. Except OML was one of the first two 5*'s, so those that got lucky with drawing him early are set "for life" if they don't nerf him. GG or others will overtake him eventually (or already have for the super whales), but now that you have a 1 in 6 chance -WHEN YOU DRAW A 5*- to get an OML, a % that is constantly going to decrease - anyone who didn't get lucky and draw the best 5* early on will basically never get enough of his covers to matter.

Not to mention the magic where plenty of folks got an extra free cover....I don't think I ever read where one of these covers requested was anything but OML. Yet another reason you see him everywhere.
  • Nellyson
    Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    kwyjibo wrote:
    this might be long and for that i apologize.

i am a vet. just hit day 820 on the daily resupply. i have 37 championed 3 stars. 3 champed 4 stars.

my alliance is mediocre at best. it's made up of real life friends and we have no play requirements. if we hit top 1000 i'm happy. top 500 shocks me.

i am not a whale. i do spend some money on the game but it's 20 at a time and rare. i have never joined a buyers club.

Hello, my name is clint and i have a 4-3-2 OML.

it literally feels that dirty to me to say it. to all you vets that have opened an innumerable amount of tokens more than me, and have few to 0 covers in OML, i can only say that is so terrible and sucks. i just got my 9th cover but i've had him at 8 for a couple months now.

there is literally nothing in MPQ that i can't accomplish, no reward unattainable. takes a little time but honestly not much. last night to get the 1k punisher cover, i played for 1 hour and used 2 health packs. it's that easy.

to the devs, please look at your game and no this is not a nerf OML thread. he is awesome and super fun to use. problem is if you don't have him, you're tinykitty.

have i slayed a mighty beast? no. played incredibly well and out-thought your game? no. i'm lucky. thats all it comes down to.

please look at the state of your game that i very much enjoy playing. it's not in good shape atm. the meta is completely warped around a ridiculously OP character.

all the damage. all the heals. who plays well with him? well, frankly, everyone.

tl:dr. first world problems, i know. OML is ridiculous and it's harming the game.

Old Man icon_wolverine.png isn't over powered. It's just that the whole 5 star.png idea is not what the game really needed. This game has gotten too focused on characters and have completely ignored gameplay choices that would make the game so much more fun.

I think the whole RNG for 5s is fine, but they should have had like 5 or 6 of them ready to go at one moment. That way, they would have had a much better idea of how all of them would play with and against each other. The slow trickle of 1 every now and then along with the randomness of actually getting them is just not working, to me. Others may disagree and that's fine.

The biggest issue with the game, and I think your purpose of the post, is that the game isn't in a good place. I believe it's because everything is PVP. If you don't have the best character, then you're done for. There is no PVE, which would create more players playing with whatever rosters they had and would be happy. PVE has always been PVP. You can only earn covers by playing against and competing against other players. How is that PVE? If the devs ever recognize this giant flaw, then players will be happy with whatever roster they have. They won't need to have the best to speed run and grind for covers. That way PVP can be whatever "chase the carrot" characters at the top. Just this one change will hugely benefit the game, but I don't ever see it happening.

GET RID OF PLACEMENTS, GET RID OF THE GRIND!
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    From the topic title I thought the Confederates were getting out of line again.....