Planning to Champion all my 3*s, am I off my rocker?

Options
Cousin Simpson
Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2016 in Roster and Level Help
I have 8 3*s left to champion:

- Doc Ock
- Rags
- Colostomy Bag
- Quicksilver
- Spidey
- Squirrel
- Sentry
- Psylocke

I've been entertaining the possibility of championing all of them (943K ISO), since most of them will eventually lead to 4*s that I covet or would be of use in PVE, which is where I focus. (The characters I'd get use out of would be Ock, QS, SG, maybe Rags.)

I almost never use my 4*s, mostly because they largely ar eundercovered, though I've cover-maxed XFW (5/5/3), and both XFDP (4/4/4) and Fury (5/3/4) are at 12. TBH I like playing in 3* land thus far, and don't use my 4*s outside of DDQ4 and PVE essentials. (Maybe that's why I don't go hard in PVP anymore, because of my undeveloped 4*s.)

Do you guys recommend I abandon my hopes and dreams of 3* Champion completion? I also have ~150K ISO right now that's burning a hole in my pocket and that I want to use.

Comments

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I keep telling myself I'm going to max QS since he leads to Iceman, but every time I have the 100k iso on hand I use it to level a 4*.

I maxed beast bc he leads to JG and I want to max Psy since her first 4* reward is the one color of XFDP that I need, but I just can't justify the cost on her.

Took me a while to figure out who Colostomy Bag was. If anything, I'd leave him on the scrap heap, he gives the one 4* character you have already maxed and won't give you the black cover you need until he reaches about 250.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Options
    udonomefoo wrote:
    I keep telling myself I'm going to max QS since he leads to Iceman, but every time I have the 100k iso on hand I use it to level a 4*.

I maxed beast bc he leads to JG and I want to max Psy since her first 4* reward is the one color of XFDP that I need, but I just can't justify the cost on her.

Took me a while to figure out who Colostomy Bag was. If anything, I'd leave him on the scrap heap, he gives the one 4* character you have already maxed and won't give you the black cover you need until he reaches about 250.

Yeah, QS has been passed over a couple times already for me too in favor of other ISO priorities, but I'd champ him now if only I had his covers in queue. As it stands, I have two Ragnaroks, two Psylockes, and a SG.

My XFW is actually cover-complete at 5/5/3, so even less reason to level up Colostomy.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

My XFW is actually cover-complete at 5/5/3, so even less reason to level up Colostomy.

D'oh! For some reason I keep thinking xfw is greenflag.pngyellowflag.pngblackflag.png not greenflag.pngblackflag.pngyellowflag.png so I thought you still needed two blacks for optimal.
  • Zyrook
    Zyrook Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Doc Oc is a blast to play with in PvE, especially survival nodes since you'll build up attack tiles super fast. He also pairs surprisingly well with Patchs (Berserker Rage into Manipulation can one-shot most 3*s). The rest I'd only champ if you really want their 4* covers. I have Quick, Squirrel, and Psy champed but never really use them. Shame really, I like what Squirrel does, but she's probably the worst of the green and purple characters.
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    I think it's dumb to champion 3*s over viable 4*s, but if you don't have the 4* covers and have the ISO you might as well use it championing your 3*s and maybe start to earn more 4* covers as you go through their champ levels.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Options
    I think it's dumb to champion 3*s over viable 4*s, but if you don't have the 4* covers and have the ISO you might as well use it championing your 3*s and maybe start to earn more 4* covers as you go through their champ levels.

icon_redface.gif

Do you consider any of my 4*s viable?
  • RBwilliams07
    RBwilliams07 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    If I were you I'd be focusing on leveling XFW and XFD. They go great together. Do a countdown for what followed by surgical strike can be deadly. Plus one more cover and you could have XFD maxed. I'm envious of your roster.
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options

icon_redface.gif

Do you consider any of my 4*s viable?
    I agree with RB that your ISO would be much better spent on XFW and XFDP. That would be a viable 4* combo that would likely have you placing higher in PvP than you have been currently.

When I talk about viable 4*s I'm talking about characters from the top 10 (or maybe on up to top 13) in the latest character rankings - with emphasis on the top 6 (minus ProfX) - those are the characters you should be spending ISO on. Your Thoress with IM40 would actually be a nice addition as well.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it depends on what type of player your are. completionists really value never selling a cover and I can see the benefit. I'm more of an ROI guy and you'll get much more immediate and tangible return on leveling a viable 4*. as peter said, if you choose that route, xf and xp are a solid pair, if not 'top tier' and the 4thor/im40 combo can be very, very effective. long-term vs. short-term, your call.

really I'd say it depends on how much difficulty you're having hitting 1K. leveling xp/xfw will help hit 1K easier, but not automatic like a hb or cyke paired with a jean/ice/rulk. roster development for you right now is getting those 4* covers and anything that would help you do that will provide the biggest ROI. to me that's the x twins (especially if that last xp red drops for you).
  • Cousin Simpson
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you've convinced me, although I'm going to champ QS and Ock still because I can see them being useful.
    TxMoose wrote:
    really I'd say it depends on how much difficulty you're having hitting 1K. leveling xp/xfw will help hit 1K easier, but not automatic like a hb or cyke paired with a jean/ice/rulk. roster development for you right now is getting those 4* covers and anything that would help you do that will provide the biggest ROI. to me that's the x twins (especially if that last xp red drops for you).

Heh, I've NEVER hit 1K in PVP! I mean, I'm lucky to get to 300 nowadays, but maybe once I develop the twins more I'll play PVP a little more seriously again.