Retreating

Insert25c
Insert25c Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
edited April 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
How much health is lost upon retreat. I figure it's percentage based but are there any modifiers?

I ask because I just retreated in a pvp match after Deadpool (in his event) got wiped in a handful of turns. My two full health characters behind him took about 25% damage in the retreat. :\

Comments

• Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Insert25c wrote:
    How much health is lost upon retreat. I figure it's percentage based but are there any modifiers?

I ask because I just retreated in a pvp match after Deadpool (in his event) got wiped in a handful of turns. My two full health characters behind him took about 25% damage in the retreat. :\

If you retreat during the AI's turn, the game will resolve their turn before applying the retreat tax. So any damage suffered during that turn that you didn't see due to retreating will still be accumulated by your characters.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    You lose a third of your maximum health
    This is important because it is a fixed number, not a % of remaining health. Sometimes you're living characters will die as a result of the retreat because the penalty is greater than the remaining life of the character.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    DuckyV wrote:
    Insert25c wrote:

If you retreat during the AI's turn, the game will resolve their turn before applying the retreat tax. So any damage suffered during that turn that you didn't see due to retreating will still be accumulated by your characters.

Just as a point of clarification, this happens because all combat is done silently in the background then displayed in animation so whatever you are seeing on screen has already been applied in the background. The way the program works is roughly:
    1. wait for user input
    2. calculate all results from that input until the next user input is required
    3. Generate a list of animations from step #2.
    4. Return that list to the rendering engine
    5. Render the results/play back the animations (i.e.: show the specials, the matches, the cascades, the hit point and AP changes, etc...)
    6. Prompt the user for their next input.

This is why sometimes you cannot retreat during the AI's turn. If you ever try to retreat and it won't let you, it's because you are going to die on this turn. The results have already been calculated in step #2 and you died. The animation just hasn't gotten that far yet.
  • drcassino
    drcassino Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Hey, abmoraz - why don't you write that up in the FAQ? Could be useful for folks going forward.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    drcassino wrote:
    Hey, abmoraz - why don't you write that up in the FAQ? Could be useful for folks going forward.

There's a FAQ?
  • avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    abmoraz wrote:
    This is why sometimes you cannot retreat during the AI's turn. If you ever try to retreat and it won't let you, it's because you are going to die on this turn. The results have already been calculated in step #2 and you died. The animation just hasn't gotten that far yet.

Most depressing thing to see when you're on turn 4 of a battle.
  • avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    abmoraz wrote:
    drcassino wrote:

There's a FAQ?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35008