Forum Thread

aesthetocyst
aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
Forum Thread

Comments

• Uninspired
    Uninspired Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Huh, this is a pretty clever idea. I'd love to see something like this. You could make the progression score have a nonlinear relationship with the node score (like a square root or a log) so players with moderate scores aren't so far behind the top players. This would also allow for uncapped scoring while avoiding significant outliers being effectively unbeatable.

Plus, it opens up the possibility for bonuses/multipliers for certain objectives: Use an X-man, all Fantastic four, no wolverines, etc. to get more points. It could encourage variety without the much maligned lock out of heroic events.
  • Killinstinct
    Killinstinct Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Really nice concept!
  • JamesV
    JamesV Posts: 98 Match Maker
    I love this idea and think it would be a blast actually.
  • Magnetorules
    Magnetorules Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    I love this idea. Truly hate grinding for points that's why I've quit playing so many other games. Grinding=boring to me.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    This is a pretty good idea. I have been feeling the same, PVE is really killing this game for me. It's just not fun, which doesn't make sense for a casual mobile game. I would skip PVE but it's a good source of ISO so I can have fun in PVP.

If they are not going to completely revamp PVE, I feel like they should remove ISO rewards from it. They could compensate by adding more ISO to DDQ or find another fun avenue. In any other mobile game I don't have to spend 2 - 5 hours to get my maximum progression for the day, especially when that progression is laughable to begin with. How am I spending this much time on the game but barely moving? It's just not fun.
  • I really like the idea of changing PvE to be something that's less about how much time you're willing to invest.

I do think this system has some problems though, in that whatever they pick for the point formula is going to entirely decide what characters are viable. For example, if the formula weights speed too much, defensive characters become useless. If it favors HP too much, healing characters would be required. I don't think D3 would be able to come up with a good formula (it is a hard problem!), so then you get into a less fun situation where you're pretty much forced to use a specific type of line-up to maximize your score. Granted, this is probably still better than the current PvE just since it isn't a huge grind.

People generally like the format of Gauntlet events, so I don't think we need that big of a shake-up to PvE. The reason I hate it is that it's so repetitive. For the entire event you are expected to play each node at least 5 times, and in most events it's similar characters on each node. Fighting some combination of Yelena, Bullseye, Daken, Moonstone, and Ragnarok 25 times a day for several days is just not a good experience.

I'd like to see matches that have special conditions on them. Things like "all green tiles are charged" or "no red tiles will spawn" or "each side starts with three strike tiles." This would make it so different matches would have some different puzzle element to it, so you could choose to bring different characters to take advantage of the different situations. This encourages roster variety, makes the game less repetitive, and gives the player a PUZZLE of trying to figure out what characters can best take advantage of the special conditions.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Really fun idea! Its great to see creativity from our community.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    love to try this. even as a third game mode or something.
  • MrTrix
    MrTrix Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Nice one! Any other day of the year, I actually would have taken this serious icon_e_wink.gif
  • I'd rather see this introduced as a new game mode than a replacement for PvE. It could transition to a replacement over time, but at first it would be better to have it separate.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    The console version of MPQ has a scoring system like the one you describe - bonuses for using AP, making match 4, match 5 and criticals, etc.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    We need to make sure to add the required sound effects as well, when i hit the button for a skill, i want bells and lights!
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Allow players to repeat nodes so long as the sub / event is open.
    This is the only part I don't like. It still encourages grinding among the not-so-insignificant portion of the player base who will compulsive replay nodes to try to nudge their score as high as possible.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Repeating would no longer be required to place well
    But it would certainly help. The more you play, the better your chance of posting a good score.
    The only way to save the compulsives from themselves is to make everything one-time only, which would rob the farmers of a source of iso, etc.
    No, no, no, not one time only, just don't let players play past the end of the award stack.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    moving to Suggestions / Feedback
  • Khaoz77
    Khaoz77 Posts: 16
    I'd love this idea!!! That "just one more try and I go to sleep" feeling... Oh yes!
  • Reminator
    Reminator Posts: 13
    This is a really interesting idea and would definitely need some extensive testing. But I do agree with people when they say it may mess up the viability of certain characters, depending on what the formula is for points. Of course each node could have it's on formula based on speed, damage, etc. So you don't use the same party for every single node.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Why to CHANGE things? Just add this to the old ones... different events with different system could be way better than "this or that".
  • Chameleon
    Chameleon Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Groooovy baby!!

Seriously.. Love it! Bring on the f-u-n!