Someone read the comics that the game is based?

Options
I look that all the covers are from "Dark Reing" Someone knows the story behind this game? I just want to know more about the history behind this comic book and also have and idea what future characters they can release based in the history. Also i would like to see a event based in civil wars history, and other based in avengers vs X men

Comments

• Obviously English isn't a 1st language here.

The characters to be released aren't restricted to dark reign.

The story line (though based off dark reign) is it's own story line.

If you are just wondering what dark reign is about in general - google it.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    For context (Hidden for spoilers):
    Dark Reign occurred as a result of a series of events starting at Civil War. Civil War created a split between the super-hero teams due to different ideologies regarding Super Hero Registration. Those who sided with Iron Man believed that super heroes should be registered to the government, have their secret identities revealed, and trained as government agents. Those who sided with Captain America believed that super heroes have a right to privacy, and should not be forced to work for the government (or get thrown in prison for refusing). In the end, Iron Man wins the civil war, and the super heroes (along with SHIELD) came under full control of Tony Stark and the U.S. government.

During Iron Man's tenure at SHIELD, the Skrull launched a Secret Invasion. Over the past decade or so, Skrull have been kidnapping super heroes and replacing them with Skrull duplicates. The Skrull sleeper agents were so advanced that they themselves believed to be the person they replaced, with powers and everything. The duplicates were so convincing that even the best psychics in the world could not see through them. The sleeper agents activated, and the Skrull attacked, but were ultimately defeated with a live broadcast of Norman Osborn killing the Skrull Leader. Norman Osborn is heralded as a hero, Tony Stark is ousted, and SHIELD is dissolved by executive order of the President.

Osborn creates Hammer, and recruits his own set of Avengers. Sentry, Ares, Noh-Varr (as Captain Marvel), Moonstone (as Ms. Marvel), Venom (as Spider-Man), Bullseye (as Hawkeye) and Daken (as Wolverine). Obsorn takes on the mantle Iron Patriot, using a suit of armor created by Iron Man colored in stars and stripes.

Osborn also had a secret cabal: an inner circle of influential people to act as advisers. The Cabal included Emma Frost, Namor, Loki, The Hood, and Dr. Doom (notice that Magneto was never part of the Cabal).

Osborn also had a team of Dark X-Men, which includes Emma Frost (as the Black Queen), Cloak, Dagger, Namor, Dark Beast, Mimic, Mystique, Omega, and Daken.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pako__ wrote:
    I look that all the covers are from "Dark Reing" Someone knows the story behind this game? I just want to know more about the history behind this comic book and also have and idea what future characters they can release based in the history. Also i would like to see a event based in civil wars history, and other based in avengers vs X men

First up, all the covers aren't from Dark Reign. In fact most of the covers aren't from Dark reign era at all.

They can release pretty much any character based on the event's history. The only characters that really shouldn't exist are Thor and Hulk, and they already made it in.
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    Pako__ wrote:

First up, all the covers aren't from Dark Reign. In fact most of the covers aren't from Dark reign era at all.

They can release pretty much any character based on the event's history. The only characters that really shouldn't exist are Thor and Hulk, and they already made it in.

Why shouldn't they have made it in exactly?
  • Katai
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Eddiemon wrote:
    Pako__ wrote:

Thor is "dead", and is in an "Eternal Slumber" at the moment (I think it was to prevent the end of the world from occurring). Project Thunder (to create a Thor Clone) was actually created by Tony Stark and Reed Richards during Civil War. Edit: Thor is in fact alive at this point. It seems he's missing through most of the event of Dark Reign, and doesn't come back into relevance until The Siege of Asgard.

Bruce Banner is imprisoned in a facility three miles underground after the events of World War Hulk
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    Pako__ wrote:

I've only read a little past the Civil War , but I'm pretty sure Thor is dead and the Hulk has been blasted off to another planet.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Katai wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:
    Pako__ wrote:

Thor is "dead", and is in an "Eternal Slumber" at the moment (I think it was to prevent the end of the world from occurring). Project Thunder (to create a Thor Clone) was actually created by Tony Stark and Reed Richards during Civil War.

Bruce Banner is imprisoned in a facility three miles underground after the events of World War Hulk
    Still, Thor plays a big part at the end of Siege, which is practically Dark Reign (not technically, but it's all Dark Avengers.) Shoot, at this point in the storyline, I think Cap is still 'dead', too. But, yeah...they play pretty fast and loose with the actual Dark Reign story. It's basically just using a similar set of characters of the time period.
  • Pako__ wrote:

I have picked up a few of the collected Dark Reign storylines as trade paperbacks, since I had stopped collecting comics about 23 years ago. The Dark Reign - Hawkeye and Dark Reign - Sinister Spider-Man are both pretty good.
  • Katai
    Options
    The game is like watching a movie adaptation of the comics. The main events are there, with some tweaks to the details. No one is really off limits, honestly. A lot of the characters we have don't have any direct connection to Dark Reign story, but a lot of the characters we DO see are. It definitely gives us a good idea of who might be in the running.

Still, I'd love to see the Young Avengers and the Young Masters have a chapter in the story...
  • I was gonna say I had been researching today and Thor seemed to fit just fine.

On another note, this is best list I've been able find. Not necessarily every1 but it's pretty substantial.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Dark_Reign_Files_Vol_1_1
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I used to collect about 20 some years ago (mostly xmen and Spiderman)

This game got me curious about reading X-force. Do you guys recommend it?
  • Katai
    Options
    You're gonna have to be more specific. X-Force swaps teams every two years, lol.

If you're talking about X-Force (as in X-Force wolverine), it's a pretty fun read. X-Force: Sex and Violence starts it up, I think
  • If you read comics about 20 years ago, then I recommend Rick Remender's fairly recent Uncanny X-Force run. It ran around the same time Dark Reign storyline started. He uses a lot of ideas and characters from the X-Men era of about 20 years ago to craft one of the best mutant sagas in a long time. The whole run is pretty self-contained and doesn't crossover with other "X" titles.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eddiemon wrote:
    Pako__ wrote:

At the end of World War Hulk Bruce Banner had all the gamma energy drained from his body and was imprisoned underground. He didn't get re-energised until after training Skaar to kill the Hulk. He got his Gamma energy back and restored Hulk to existence at the end or World War Hulks. Note to those of you who thought they saw Hulk fight Rulk, that can't have happened because it would have messed with continuity.

Thor was dead, then returned from the dead at some point in Dark Reign to find out what had happened in Civil War and that Stark and company had built Clor. (Aka Ragnarok, but Clor is a much better name). Loki tricked him into fighting his uncle or grandfather or someone and so Baldar banished him. He doesn't return until the last fight of Siege and isn't officially unbanished until after Asgard is a nice rockery. You may think you saw Thor fight with Hulk against Rulk, but yet again it's a figment of your imagination because continuity...

For most of Dark Reign The incredible Hulk was replaced with the Incredible Herc and had Hercules as the hitting people protagonist.
  • Now that you guys are talking about all this sagas, can any of you find the chronological order of all this.
  • There is a lot of information on Wikipedia if you look up Dark Reign. I Have purchased a few comics on Google Play it's a difficult to appreciate on my Galaxy S3. I read the Watchmen graphic novel and there is a pleasure to be found in the paper medium that is lacking on a digital device.
  • Now that you guys are talking about all this sagas, can any of you find the chronological order of all this.

The big event plot points are:

Civil War
    Secret Invasion
    Dark Reign (several different titles)
    Siege
  • I know this won't be for everyone but whenever I've been away from comics for a while and want to catch up on something specific I'll look up the starting dates and then look through the solicitations from those months.

For the few years that I read comics religiously seeing the new solicits was almost as exciting as reading the books themselves so it emulates that to a certain extent.
  • Howler wrote:
    If you read comics about 20 years ago, then I recommend Rick Remender's fairly recent Uncanny X-Force run. It ran around the same time Dark Reign storyline started. He uses a lot of ideas and characters from the X-Men era of about 20 years ago to craft one of the best mutant sagas in a long time. The whole run is pretty self-contained and doesn't crossover with other "X" titles.

Thanks for the tip! I've been enjoying the Wolverine and the X-Men book over the past month, since it features more ~1990 X-Men than Uncanny X-Men does now. Of course, I like Chris Bachalo's art, so I'm enjoying Uncanny X-Men, too. I will check out Remender's Uncanny X-Force. (Comixology is a godsend, especially the Marvel sales. I picked up the first 30 issues of WAXM yesterday for .99 apiece.)
    I know this won't be for everyone but whenever I've been away from comics for a while and want to catch up on something specific I'll look up the starting dates and then look through the solicitations from those months.

For the few years that I read comics religiously seeing the new solicits was almost as exciting as reading the books themselves so it emulates that to a certain extent.

What are solicitations?
  • wathombe wrote:
    Howler wrote:
    If you read comics about 20 years ago, then I recommend Rick Remender's fairly recent Uncanny X-Force run. It ran around the same time Dark Reign storyline started. He uses a lot of ideas and characters from the X-Men era of about 20 years ago to craft one of the best mutant sagas in a long time. The whole run is pretty self-contained and doesn't crossover with other "X" titles.

Thanks for the tip! I've been enjoying the Wolverine and the X-Men book over the past month, since it features more ~1990 X-Men than Uncanny X-Men does now. Of course, I like Chris Bachalo's art, so I'm enjoying Uncanny X-Men, too. I will check out Remender's Uncanny X-Force. (Comixology is a godsend, especially the Marvel sales. I picked up the first 30 issues of WAXM yesterday for .99 apiece.)
    I know this won't be for everyone but whenever I've been away from comics for a while and want to catch up on something specific I'll look up the starting dates and then look through the solicitations from those months.

What are solicitations?

A couple of months before a comic ships it will have an entry in the Previews catalog. It is usually the cover and paragraph about the issue. Previews is a monthly publication and is, essentially, the catalog that your Local Comic Shop orders their weekly books from.