Design Mistakes To Avoid in the Future

Options
notamutant
notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Now, there are many problems that are all aware of in the game currently. I am not going to discuss any of those. My intention here is to discuss what design mistakes should be avoided for future character or game decisions.

My contribution to this discussion is going to focus on 5 * character design. Currently you have in 3 and 4 * world characters that can steal/convert enemy special tiles (Loki and Ant-Man). Useful in only limited applications against foes of similar rarity levels, they pretty much only have their stealing skill be of use against a mass special tile creating character. Obviously with the high match damage in 5 * land, Loki is useless. Ant-Man is only useful when boosted, in which case he could be a good counter to several 5 stars that create special tiles, but he is otherwise useless. Now in the current 5 * world, we have a lot of characters that create special tiles (Phoenix makes strike tiles, OML makes strike tiles, and GG can make both strike and protect tiles). That means we currently have 3/5 of the characters with special tile creation skills. Now you might be thinking, "wouldn't it be great to create a 5 * that can steal tiles like Loki and Ant-Man?" But there is potential for a serious design flaw with this skill. We kind of ignored it at lower rarity levels because match damage was so much lower and rarely killed a character. But let's say they add a 5 * with true protect tile creation that can stop 5k of damage. That would seriously stop match damage and really limit skill damage. Now add a character that can steal those tiles, and you will have essentially just created a 5 * with a useless skill to create protect tiles for the other team. This is a part of the reason why protect tiles don't work, as they can be stolen/destroyed too easily (in addition to them protecting too little damage). In order to keep protect tiles open as an option, not only do the developers need to increase how much damage they protect against, but they need to make their removal more difficult. I guess you could say GG fills that role with his yellow, but then you will be forced to use GG on any team that has a theoretical 5 star that can steal special tiles.

Anyhow, I guess I am basically saying, the developers need to be very careful about introducing any tile stealing or destruction skill to the 5 star tier, and need to strongly consider adding a high power protect tile.

Comments

• stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    As far as things they might give a future 5*, I'd be more concerned with AP steal. 5* health and match damage with OBW's or the Hood's abilities? Yikes.

As far as general design mistakes I'd like to see them avoid. . . it's gotten to where every time a developer uses the word "fun," I know the game's about to get harder. That's a mistake they should start avoiding.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    stowaway wrote:
    it's gotten to where every time a developer uses the word "fun," I know the game's about to get harder. That's a mistake they should start avoiding.

I think the dev team is made up exclusively of people who'd play Dead Space's Hardcore mode for fun and assume the rest of the world is like that, too 8I
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    game design mistake i'd love to see never happen again: GOON FEEDERS.

plz to make it stop