What's the point of the top level award for PVP progression?

Options
Anytime the devs have made changes to the system that allowed a scant few people to reach it, they decisively acted to correct it. For 98% of this games existance the highest level of PVP progression has been unreachable.

Is it just there as a carrot for the uninformed user? It would seem that anyone with a brain would realize it's unreachable after a few play throughs.

Why not just make the prize 2 trillion ISO? At least let's have a laugh about it.

Comments

• I think they keep it there to serve as a kind of signal: once people start getting it, it's time to change PVP so they can't.
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    If the amount of participation in PvP (number of players, mostly) is increasing, the likelihood of reaching the top rewards improves over time. #1 in my Fresh Cut bracket was just over 1k, for example, which is the first time I've seen anyone over that mark since the last change to shields went in.
  • The thing is, it is attainable, technically; it's just ridiculously difficult to do so. I kind of see it this way: rewards kind of match tiers of players. The number one player in a tournament gets a **** cover. If a tournament has a bracket of 200 people, that would mean the top .5% of players get a **** cover. If the rewards were the same for numbers 1-50, then there is no difference between being a top .5% player and a top 25% player. Similarly, by creating an incredibly difficult to achieve reward at 1400, they are allowing the absolute top tier of players to differentiate themselves. If the last progression reward were at 900 points, then there would be no differentiation in reward for the top 10%. In practice, I bet at most 20 players have gotten the 1400 point reward in a 2 day tournament since the most recent changes to shielding, so that is pretty ridiculously difficult to achieve.

I wish they would up the 1000 point reward to more HP, which would encourage players to shoot for it. This would drive up the highest point totals across the board, and if they moved the 1200/1400 rewards to 1100/1200, then they would see a lot more people fighting to get that high, which would involve more shielding, which would mean more HP sink.
  • MaxCavalera
    MaxCavalera Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    RangoFett wrote:
    The thing is, it is attainable, technically; it's just ridiculously difficult to do so. I kind of see it this way: rewards kind of match tiers of players. The number one player in a tournament gets a **** cover. If a tournament has a bracket of 200 people, that would mean the top .5% of players get a **** cover. If the rewards were the same for numbers 1-50, then there is no difference between being a top .5% player and a top 25% player. Similarly, by creating an incredibly difficult to achieve reward at 1400, they are allowing the absolute top tier of players to differentiate themselves. If the last progression reward were at 900 points, then there would be no differentiation in reward for the top 10%. In practice, I bet at most 20 players have gotten the 1400 point reward in a 2 day tournament since the most recent changes to shielding, so that is pretty ridiculously difficult to achieve.

I wish they would up the 1000 point reward to more HP, which would encourage players to shoot for it. This would drive up the highest point totals across the board, and if they moved the 1200/1400 rewards to 1100/1200, then they would see a lot more people fighting to get that high, which would involve more shielding, which would mean more HP sink.

Yeah pretty much all of this is spot on. After i get my 500 point HP reward its just a matter of going for tournament covers killing your self for 1000 to get 50 more HP is just counter productive and the ones in between are less exciting a second event token was great they are usually **** but you never know lol.