Seasonal "Prologue" / progression gauntlet

ErikPeter
ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
It'd be cool if there were a series of prologue challenges to return to. I know that you want to encourage players to do multiplayer events, because competition breeds paying players. But a bit more of a single player focus, "on my own time" event that lasts (let's say) a whole season, with progression rewards that rotate each time.

The Gauntlet and the Ant-Man event would be good inspirations, but like the Prologue, the levels for every mission would be locked and not scale with roster strength; everyone is tested against the same challenges. It would be an interesting yardstick to compare one's progress through the game. "Last month I got stuck on the level 350 Hulks at node 9--this time I made it all the way to the Max Champion Phoenix/ProfX/Cyclops node 13... I must be way better!"

Depending on how good the rewards are, the number of challenges (nodes) could be 10-30 per season. For subsequent nodes, (E.g if there were 10-15) the difficulty could increase by 50 levels (or comparable difficulty for extra challenging missions).

Plus it could allow for really nice rewards that players really need to earn... and probably boost sales as I know I might be inspired to shell out a few bucks if I came that close... to a good reward like an LT or good specific cover. Players might complain that they can't beat the toughest stuff, but I think it would be embraced as a rite of passage, like how if you can't beat the Crash of the Titans you're not ready for another LT. Some side missions could even require specific characters (i.e. the new hotness), encouraging effort in Seasonal PvP/PvE events (outside this event) to unlock those rewards.

It also might be nice to be encouraged to return to the basics once in a while. Some nodes could enforce lower rarity guest characters (e.g. 1-and-2*) that are doable, but difficult, with the provided characters and easier with Championed versions, so players with established rosters feel rewarded (with the convenience of an easier fight) for being good collectors. Those missions could award ISO only so they don't provide out-of-tier progression.

Additionally, guest characters could be used to 'show off' underused combinations that may encourage players to seek out new strategies... 1-star Spider-Man teamed with Miles Morales, Daken with TA Hulk, combos that are incredibly FUN and might inspire more aggressive creativity in multiplayer events.

Lastly, the progression could unlock a few nodes at a time, not just (Gauntlet) sequentially to give players some choices/flexibility in how they tackle each 'tier' of missions, or skip easier ones with simple iso/cover rewards they aren't interested in.
icon_shield.png
    tl;dr: A seasonal, play-at-your-own-pace Gauntlet-style event in the Prologue, with one-time node rewards and static difficulty.

Comments

• therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    I would subscribe to this.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is such a lack of an actual game with content that you can play at your own pace in MPQ. This would be amazing. If you took away competitive tournaments, which is what both PvE and PvP, there is nothing left. For this being a game, there is so little game there. This would be great and go towards fixing that.