Making the game more difficult/competitive

Options
paralistalon
paralistalon Posts: 153
edited March 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I'm at that point where I'm sitting back and feel no need to spend money because I have at least one copy of most of the rares, and the chances of getting a specific remaining rare that I really want (*cough* Outland Colossus *cough*) are so low that there's no point. My play pattern has been reduced to logging in every evening to get my daily reward and free basic pack and logging in on the morning of the last day of a PvP event and getting about 100 points for the day with my level 50 Chandra (my fastest deck), which is usually enough to get at least a rare and a booster pack... it takes 300+ points for the same reward f I start PvP at any other day/time.

I have other decks that I enjoy that are built around Sigil of the Empty Throne or Thopter Spy Network, but these decks take so much longer to win with because of all the board management with my supports and additional control oriented strategies that I only play them for fun.

I'm interested to see if this game will head in a more competitive direction, where getting paired against a veteran player means having a much more difficult time winning (like Marvel PQ), or if it will stay the way it is now. The only way I can see this change happening is if the developers find a way to create more variability in player power levels. I can see there being a system where if you have multiples of the same card, you can "level up" that card to make it stronger or more efficient. That would quickly give players with a large collection a huge advantage over other players and would create a system where you have to continually farm cards to keep strengthening your decks.

How do you think they could make the PvP aspect more challenging?

Comments

• The_Leftist
    The_Leftist Posts: 224
    Options
    I personally like the idea of an upgrade system, but many people are flaming the idea because it's "not like magic", although many of the aspects of this game aren't.

I think it would be neat to introduce a type of event that ranks based on win percentage and matches played, but limits the matches played to a certain number per day. Also, each event would force players to use the same planeswalker so that not everyone was using Jace for perfect performances. Maybe even include opponents that play like Heroics - as in they start matches with cards in play or with their 1st two cards filled with Mana or something
  • But I don't want pvp to be more competitive.

Literally all mobile game pvp's are

1. Asynchronous, aka not realtime battling
    2. Reward grind instead of skill
    3. Reward those that pay money

So far points 1 and 2 are met by this game, but not 3 (which as a free player is a good thing). Don't give them ideas!

Now there are of course exceptions, like some of the fancier pvp only ones built around deckbuilding or tactical combat, but those are literally designed around that while this is not. It would require pretty much creating an entirely new game, with all new netcode and system. I wouldn't be surprised if Wizards themselves made some form of mtgo on mobile (if it isn't already, I haven't kept up) but it doesn't make sense here.