New, and super confused

Options
Kirbin
Kirbin Posts: 4
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So I just started 9 days ago, and after the last event I now have more 3*s than anything else but with only 1 cover on most I can't really use them and have no idea how to progress now I have one 4* seven 3*s and seven 2*s and have no idea what to do

Comments

• Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Move one tier at a time while trying to start seeding the tier one removed. In your case, you are a 1* player, so you need to progress to the 2* tier as that's what will be easier and quicker. Have a good read at the tip and tricks subforum or character discussion subforum to learn about the best 2*s and make your goal to get them to 13 covers and progressively level them up.

Check out also who are the best 3*s. Almost every single 3* is useful one way or the other and they will be necessary at times, but in your position, most of the 3*s you'll get will be from random sources. As such, the likelihood of getting several covers of one given 3* you already have is low because there are 40 of them. That means that 1-cover 3*s in your roster will be pretty much useless to you for a good while (as you predict) so only keep covers of the very best 3*s as seeds for the future.

4*s, as exciting or powerful they may seem, are even worse in that respect, so just delete those covers. It's unfortunate, but the truth is that you'll very likely won't have any use for them for the first year of playing.

If you for some reason happen upon a 5* keep it. Their raw power is off the chart and even at one cover and unleveled they will actually be helpful to you in certain occasions.

Other than than, make sure of never using your HP for anything else than roster slots. Getting HP in game to sustain a growing roster and do other things with it is possible once you are firmly planted in the 3* tier. Until then, just use it for roster slots. There's a few nodes on the prologue that reward 50 HP, so keep an eye out for them and if you like the game, drop a couple of bucks to purchase some slots and speed up the growth of your roster, especially if even following all the above to the letter you still find yourself short.

Good luck!
  • if you just started out, just uninstall the game immediately and never look back.
    Ahead of you lies a long road of disappointments.

commandpointsbig.pngPlease refrain from discouraging new players in such a negative way. Players new to the game and forum are here looking for advice and assistance. Comments such as this are not productive and add nothing to the current conversation. Remember, we were all new players at point. commandpointsbig.png
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    See Polaritys Guide

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3939

and ignore the veteran cynicism of the forums
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kirbin, welcome to MPQ. My advice is don't try to go too fast. Just listen to what Pylgrim posted and follow the link provided by Hendross. And I second what he said, sell the 4* for the ISO-8, along with any other 4* covers you get until you are ready for them. But keep the 5* if you happen luck into one.

As to negativity on the forum, just don't pay any attention to it. There are going to be times that you will feel frustrated. Like things aren't going your way. You're having a streak of bad luck. Whatever. Just remember it happens to us all. Especially if you have the Pokemon mentality. Gotta catch 'em all. Where you feel you have to have every character available. This may never happen. I started playing little over 2 years ago, and I'm still missing a couple characters, and some of my characters are still missing covers.

However, the most important thing to remember is this;......

It's just a game!

JJ
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,938 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just dropping by to say hi to the new forum person! Welcome Kirbin! icon_e_biggrin.gif

Please feel free to peruse and pick the minds of the MPQ masterminds that reside here.

Oh and I see some of my fellow forumers have mentioned the sacred cow that is the 5*. The only way to get them is from Legendary Tokens (LTs for short) or Command Points (CP). These tokens hold only 4* and 5* covers, so if you happen to come across these items I would recommend you save them until you feel you are ready to move onto the 4* tier. Of course, that decision is entirely up to you but it's just my spideycoin.pngspideycoin.png

Anyway good luck! Hope to see you around!

Your friendly neighborhood fight4thedream゙☆⌒o(*^ー゚)v
  • jigawatt
    jigawatt Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    you want to always focus on maxing out covers for your cards, not just gaining new characters. That way you reach max level, champion them, and do the most damage.

Keep around a level 20+ juggernaut to get 500 iso a day from Deadpool's daily.

Polarity's guide indeed has fantastic team-up recommendations for the 2 and 3 star cards you'll be working with. There's a huge difference in playability and funness with a core team with good synergy, like the all 2* storm+magneto+hawkeye, vs just throwing whoever together.

2* cards drop a lot from the events but will take some time (months and months and months) to max out one character.

3* cards take even longer to collect since you have to grind events even more, or hope that Deadpool's Daily drops a cover you need.

And forget about the 4* game. seriously. It'll take months/years to fully cover one.

If you find an alliance where people are whaling out then you can use those extra command points to *slightly* speed up the cover maxing process.

Once upon a time we were able to pay cash for extra covers after we unlocked the first one. So if you had a 2 or 3 star character where you finally got 1 of each color cover for, you could whale up and have a fully covered, usuable character pretty quickly. Then the devs did the unspeakable and took it away, saying 'they wanted people to play for longer'. So if getting 1 cover a month for 2*s, 1 cover every 3 months for 3*s is your idea of fun, waiting 1 year ( I guess?) for the privilege of grinding like crazy to build 4* covers, one every 6 months, then welcome to MPQ.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And I second what he said, sell the 4* for the ISO-8, along with any other 4* covers you get. But keep the 5* if you happen luck into one.

icon_eek.gif

Only if roster space is a problem.

I have a new account, and it has half a dozen 4*s, most with single covers, and even more 3*s, making slow progress.

Single-cover fours, thanks to their high match damage and health, can be very helpful, until you have some 2*s near-maxed; especially when that 4* is buffed for PVE, of for being a new character, etc.

I also found that, if a new player is willing to play PVE, they can place top 10 fairly easily, quickly adding 4* and 3* covers.

Yes, it will be a long time until those 3s and 4s are worth leveling, but if you can afford the space, keep them around.

Don't level them much until you have several 2*s champed. Focus on 2* Thor, 2* Storm, and 2* Magneto. They're an amazing lineup. Then add OBW and Ares. Between those 5 you can finish DDQ every day, and do well in PVE.

Good luck!

This is actually true. However, I always feel the need to stress to new players that it's ok and in fact necessary to sell 4*s if they need the room (which is very likely, with 90+ characters that they can feasibly open). I usually fill holes in my alliance by going public and I cannot count the amount of players I've seen with a couple underleveled 1*s and ten or so 1-cover 3*-4*s, no 2*s whatsoever.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    First off a small bit of advice for early on. As tempting as it is, don't level up Black Widow 1*. She seems really good early on, but Spider Man 1* outclasses her and is more useful later.
    Definitely spend some time getting Juggernaut up to level 40, he'll still be useful to you for Deadpool's Daily Quest when you have a 4* roster. Many people here have sold all the 1*s barring him.

When you get to 2* land, which doesn't take too long, you'll want to prioritise getting Original Black Widow, Classic Storm and maybe Marvel Now! Magneto or Thor up to maximum as soon as you can. Ares is also good if the covers fall that way rather than towards Thor. Either work since they make up the red/green/yellow colours you won't be using with OBW, Storm and Mags.

A tip to remember if you feel like dipping into PvE. Nodes have three colours around them.
    Blue: Use whatever team you want.
    Yellow: One or more character is required, but if you do not have said character a loaner version is available.
    Orange: One character is required, you must have that character or you cannot complete the node. A loaner is not available.

So if early on you're playing the PvE and see, for example, three level 100 enemies on a yelloe node, don't despair! The game will give you some characters to do the node with. A lot of us missed that early on, I know I did. Played the Red ISO event and got two nodes in "Huh, level 100 goons. Welp, guess this PvE isn't for me!" and gave up. Had I actually clicked on it I'd have seen the game give me some characters to use =P
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm going to recommend (as I do to everybody) that you listen to the Puzzle Warriors 3 podcast. There are two episodes in particular for you to listen to. One is a guide for beginners. It's a little out of date since changes have happened to the game since it was recorded but is still full of great information. The other is about the transition for a star.pngstar.png team to a star.pngstar.pngstar.png team. That's a little beyond where you are now but contains ideas that will have your forewarned & forearmed.

To coin a phrase, "Welcome to MPQ, Kirbin. Hope you survive the experience!" (Cue animated X-Men theme song.)
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Another couple of tips that you might consider is to join an alliance. Hit the search button and pick a public alliance and join up. Being a beginner, you may not get a top 100 alliance, but all extra team rewards come in handy. Then, add as many players as you can to your Facebook friends. Facebook friend reward sharing will get you some extra covers and ISO-8.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Welcome! If you're just starting, I'd say don't worry too much about 3*+ land for now, or any such draws you make. Keep them if you can afford the roster slots. But characters with only a few covers, at any tier, are of limited usefulness.

Play some, and focus most on getting a few 1* and 2* characters to a full 13 covers and level them. Playing though all of the prologue content is a good thing to do before getting into more of the events.

As for the elephant in the room about the undercurrent of cynicism, I'll try not to be too discouraging, but I do think that it is helpful to understand that progress in this game can be very slow, and getting to where you think you should be can be extremely difficult and time consuming. I just added up my ISO deficit (amount I need to fully level the characters I have) and it was closing in on 3 million, which would probably take over a year for me to earn. And that's relatively low...
    I was wondering the same thing the other week. So I added it all up and looked at the total. Then, I went sat in the corner, curled up the in the fetal position and cried for a few hours. icon_cry.gif

The total was almost 20 million.

JJ

So, coming to the game late, you will likely see rosters much further along, especially in PvP. That will be the case for a long time. The rate they add new characters can easily outpace the time it takes to acquire and level them. That will be there possibly for all time, unless you want to treat the game like a full time job. This is sort of the status quo. Even the people doing relatively well still are perpetually in need of resources.
  • Seltsam
    Seltsam Posts: 14
    Options
    Welcome to MPQ.

My advice (partially duped by previous posters):

0. Keep every 5* you get.
    1. Keep a max 1* Juggs for DPDQ.
    2. Find your favorite set of 3 2* to champion. I used Daken, Wolv, Mag Now. I have a non 94 2* Thor, OBW for backup on Mag/Wolv days.
    3. Level and champion as many 3* as you can.
    4. Cover all of the 4* you can; don't spend ISO on them any time soon.
  • Also, level characters up generally together. Don't bring a 2* that you have fully covered all the way up to level 94 if your next highest has like 6 coves because he will be too far above the rest of your team & you will start queuing fully level 2* teams in PVP. Possible proposed changes to MMR by the Devs may fix this but they keep running tests & have yet to confirm whether anything will actually change or not. And honestly, at this point, way more testing is necessary.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Also, don't spend imcoin.png on random token draws. That's a sucker's bet. HP should be spent on roster slots and shields when you get into PvP.
  • Uber303
    Uber303 Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    And I second what he said, sell the 4* for the ISO-8, along with any other 4* covers you get. But keep the 5* if you happen luck into one.

icon_eek.gif

Only if roster space is a problem.

I have a new account, and it has half a dozen 4*s, most with single covers, and even more 3*s, making slow progress.

Single-cover fours, thanks to their high match damage and health, can be very helpful, until you have some 2*s near-maxed; especially when that 4* is buffed for PVE, of for being a new character, etc.

I also found that, if a new player is willing to play PVE, they can place top 10 fairly easily, quickly adding 4* and 3* covers.

Yes, it will be a long time until those 3s and 4s are worth leveling, but if you can afford the space, keep them around.

Don't level them much until you have several 2*s champed. Focus on 2* Thor, 2* Storm, and 2* Magneto. They're an amazing lineup. Then add OBW and Ares. Between those 5 you can finish DDQ every day, and do well in PVE.

Good luck!

cap is my most rated 2*, he's got me through so many wave battles cos he can take out both count down and special tiles, i think he's a necessity in any beginner roster imo, paired with mag and thor and they'll smash every node in ddq