Moving up 2*s

Options
Keegan
Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
edited April 2016 in Roster and Level Help
I'm about a month in, here's the roster:

http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Justaroster/

I'm going to champion Thor. I've read the rave reviews of OBW, but as you can see I've been cover starved for her and have been accumulating Daken instead. I think I'll continue to advance Daken, but I'm wondering whether to focus on moving Storm up next and keeping the rest of the roster where it is for now. I'm a big fan of Hawkeye's redflag.png and blueflag.png for strategic play, but Thor and Daken kind of negate those. Thoughts? Other directions I can go? I'm not stockpiled on ISO but I have the patience for mining and long-term planning of character building.

Comments

• kyo28
    kyo28 Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If I were you, for the time being I would champion Thor and move up either Daken or Hawkeye ... probably Daken as he has regenerative abilities. After that, I would try to stock up ISO for when you have another character at full covers. Don't try to move all characters up a little at a time, which is a beginner's mistake, but try to save up the ISO and when you do have a character with 13 covers, you can then immediately put that towards going all out on that character.

For now I wouldn't pour ISO in 3* and 4* characters unless it's absolutely necessary as it'll take you some time before you can make those characters viable fixed spots in your roster. Only spend ISO on them if/when they are a required or boosted character in an event and they are too underpowered to be of consequence.
  • Keegan
    Options
    Great, thanks, that sounds like a good plan and good advice.

I've very much been in the beginner's Get All The Things mode, but I've been tempering it to focus on being sustainable (in getting some 2*s up to be a solid team) and versatile enough to be able to be competitive in most events without sinking too much ISO into leveling the 3* and 4* covers I've been getting unless the boost has been beneficial, as you suggest. I think I'm at the point where I feel comfortable stockpiling ISO for specific goals as a strategy without missing out on opportunities in the game. It's good to hear that I should start training myself to do that. I was concerned that the tests of the new scaling based on covers + level would have a really big impact in PvP, and that I'd need to start spending ISO on levels as I acquire covers to keep up, but it hasn't so much that I'll be worried if it does become the new standard.

I appreciate it!
  • Keegan
    Options
    Followup question, I know it's personal preference:

I earned a LT. Stockpile it for like, a year from now, or pull the cover and sell it for the iso?
  • Zyrook
    Zyrook Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Honestly, I'd sit on that token for the time being. There's no expiration date on it, unlike covers, and the 1K iso you're likely to get from it is a lot easier to come by than a 4* cover. The soonest I'd crack it is once you get a strong enough team to run all the nodes in a PVE and you're missing the required 4*. But like you said, that's a ways off.

Also championing Thor is a good idea, since that will give you covers for the 3* Thor. Once you get the covers OBW and C-Storm are both solid. OBW is nowhere near the powerhouse she once was, but she's still incredible, and C-Storm is both a great character in her own right and a solid team-up to send to alliance members.

But Kyo is right, get Thor there, maybe Daken, then wait for covers.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Daken's a perfect color complement to Thor, so I'd make champing them your primary goal. After that, your best bet is to build in an active ability to Daken's purple/black. You're already well-covered on Marvel - her black is a decent AoE and her red provides a viable alternative to Thor's when there's pesky protect tiles on the board.

OBW was the go-to 2* for Enchilada before, but after the changes you can't rely on delaying goon waves to build AP.
  • Keegan
    Options
    Great, thanks. Got Thor champ'd, working on Daken next. Good point on Ms. Marvel, I've added two more covers for her since posting this and I've been running Thor/Daken/Marvel and liking it. I'll definitely keep her in mind for post-Daken.
  • Keegan
    Options
    I've got star.pngstar.pngicon_daken.pngicon_caroldanvers.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_hawkeye.pngicon_thor.png champed.

For now they're starting to hold their own in PvP AI play, I'm only losing about 70% of my matches on defense now instead of 98% icon_e_smile.gif
    Should I move up another two star like MMags, CStorm, Cap, or Torch, or just start hoarding iso for the long haul of covering my three stars?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Storm, Magneto, Black Widow and Ares are all Worth maxing for a two-star player. Magneto + Storm lets you blow through PvE with ease, Ares + OBW is probably the best two-star team for PvP defense.
    Other than that you are probably good.
  • Keegan
    Options
    Great, thanks. I think I'll work on Magneto and Storm while I collect the covers for OBW. Ares is wasting away at the bottom of my roster for now, the others are a better price since they're leveled quite a bit more.