Maggia Don's 'Trap' tile cheats

Options
_RiO_
_RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
The 'Trap' skill description states it will instantly down the target when 5 or more enemy countdown tiles exist.
One of its tiles just went off with three other timers on the field, instantly downing my character.

Either it's erroneously counting player tiles as well, or it's counting fresh tiles the Don is going to spawn on the same turn (which did actually happen after the tile went off...)

Comments

• Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 701 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It does "X amount of damage for each allied CD tile, instantly downing the target if there are more than 5."

Is it possible that your character had fewer HP than the damage done by the tile? That would down him.
  • _RiO_
    Options
    It does "X amount of damage for each allied CD tile, instantly downing the target if there are more than 5."

Is it possible that your character had fewer HP than the damage done by the tile? That would down him.

Highly unlikely, considering it was over 9000 HP and there were no enemy strike tiles in play ...
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    those are very, very strong attacks (hence the 10-turn cd). how much damage did it say it was supposed to deal? at higher levels, it could be 9K. assuming its in the hunt. I won't start until tomorrow or I'd compare my node.
  • _RiO_
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    those are very, very strong attacks (hence the 10-turn cd). how much damage did it say it was supposed to deal? at higher levels, it could be 9K. assuming its in the hunt. I won't start until tomorrow or I'd compare my node.

It was in DDQ: 1st round of Big Enchilada. There is NO WAY that it could hit 9000+ in raw damage.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    probably did count the tiles that would have spawned that turn since we already know that it knows what's going to happen before the graphics display it.
  • BlokeCDP
    BlokeCDP Posts: 17
    Options
    Just had a tile go off with 5 on board. Doing 195 damage each is what should happen, but it downed my character who had plenty of life left....9231.

Did have a scarlet witch count down for my team on board.

No enemy strike tiles or anything like that.

I'd say it's a bug.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BlokeCDP wrote:
    Just had a tile go off with 5 on board. Doing 195 damage each is what should happen, but it downed my character who had plenty of life left....9231.

Did have a scarlet witch count down for my team on board.

No enemy strike tiles or anything like that.

I'd say it's a bug.
    The power description says "five or more" countdowns. You said right there that you had five. Sooo...
  • BlokeCDP
    Options
    Hi Dayv. Can I point out this:

Trap

POWER COST BlackTile 5
    Trap does X damage for each allied Countdown tile. instantly downing the target if there are more than 5.

Key point in bold.

http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki/Maggia_Don

Soooooooo icon_e_biggrin.gif

Before and after tile fired:
    image.png

image.png
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BlokeCDP wrote:

Trap

POWER COST BlackTile 5
    Trap does X damage for each allied Countdown tile. instantly downing the target if there are more than 5.

Key point in bold.
    Sorry, I was going by this earlier post in the thread:
    _RiO_ wrote:
    The 'Trap' skill description states it will instantly down the target when 5 or more enemy countdown tiles exist.
    I didn't actually check the in-game description because that would involve playing PvE. icon_e_wink.gif
  • BlokeCDP
    Options
    No problems. I should have posted the description too.

It's a bug.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BlokeCDP wrote:

Trap

POWER COST BlackTile 5

Key point in bold.

http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki/Maggia_Don

Soooooooo icon_e_biggrin.gif

Before and after tile fired:
    image.png

image.png

Going through these, you have to remember that the trap tile itself counts as 1, so it looks like a yellow spawned, creating a total of 6 if you include the tile that was about to go off.. power worked per description in these screenshots.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,369 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, enemy trap tiles count down after you end your turn, and before the enemy can make any new actions.
    If a new countdown is placed before it goes off, it means that the new countdown is placed too soon... I would consider that a bug.
  • BlokeCDP
    Options
    My thoughts exactly.... Cheers icon_e_smile.gif
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,959 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Elektra's trap file fires at the beginning of her turn. It would make sense that the Don's works the same way.

If that's the case the only question would be whether new cd tiles are placed before or after the trap logic is evaluated.

KGB
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wanted to throw in some input here... I know the thread is a little older, but I do believe that the game is calculating what will be happening before it happens when it comes to enemy-spawned tiles based on my experience in DDQ today.

Both wave 2 and wave 3 of DDQ features Ultron drones and Iron Fist. I wasn't sure if I could believe my eyes on wave 2 and didn't think to take any screenshots, but I caught the exact same behavior in wave 3, and I have screenshot evidence below.

Iron Fist only spawns his attack tile if no other attack tiles exist (and he is not stunned). The series of 4 screenshots below demonstrate the following order of operations:

1. Wave 3 appears, no enemy attack tiles are present. I make a match that causes a small cascade with the critical tile at the bottom, dealing ~600 to the front Ultron drone.
    2. The computer has taken its turn, but the attack tile you see is not spawned by Iron Fist. It dropped from the top, generated by the Ultron drone. Iron Fist's animation did not play.
    3. You can clearly see the attack tile only deals 43 damage.
    4. As an afterthought, I figured I would include a screenshot showing that IF's attack tile deals 209 damage as proof that the spawned attack tile was not his.

Based on this evidence (which I experienced twice!), I would assume that the Trap tile does in fact count CDs that are going to be spawned in the same turn that it hits zero, but have not yet been visually displayed to the player.

I'm not sure if you can qualify it as a bug based on the fact that the right number of CDs are technically present, but it doesn't seem like this behavior should happen based on the text of the Trap ability and what the player sees. It certainly feels wrong/out of order, and I can understand how it would be upsetting.

Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,959 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Ultron Drone passive says 'new tiles have a chance of being attack tiles'. I believe this applies to all tiles that drop (yours or the AI's).

So it would be possible that the dropped tile from your move was an attack tile and so there would be one present *before* the start of the AI's turn in which case IF's passive wouldn't trigger.

KGB
  • Smudge
    Options
    KGB wrote:
    The Ultron Drone passive says 'new tiles have a chance of being attack tiles'. I believe this applies to all tiles that drop (yours or the AI's).

So it would be possible that the dropped tile from your move was an attack tile and so there would be one present *before* the start of the AI's turn in which case IF's passive wouldn't trigger.

KGB

The tile was not there before the AI's turn. It made a move, then the tile dropped. If I had been quick enough, I would have taken a screenshot after my move but before the AI's.

- I made a move, causing a small cascade. No AI attack tiles were present.
    - The AI did not display IF's passive ability animation.
    - The attack tile dropped after the AI made a move. This caused a 2x match 3 cascade which did 195 damage to GSBW, then she got hit by the strength 43 attack tile that dropped into the row.

Believe me, if I saw the tile drop from my cascade, I would never have posted. It took me by surprise when it happened in wave 2 of the DDQ today, so I tried to catch it in the act in wave 3, and I pretty much did.

Btw, to my recollection, I have not seen attack or strike tiles drop on my turn that have been AI-owned when Ultron Drones are present. I have only seen this behavior on the AI turn, but this is admittedly something I have not been watchful for in recent days. I will plan to keep a closer eye on if/when Ultron tiles drop during my turn (memory says they do not).
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 958 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The one sentry was a fighter, so he must have destroyed the bottom of a column, causing an attack tile to drop in before Iron Fist checked for his passive.
  • Smudge
    Options
    MoosePrime wrote:
    The one sentry was a fighter, so he must have destroyed the bottom of a column, causing an attack tile to drop in before Iron Fist checked for his passive.

It's possible that I missed that, but I'm still fairly sure that there were no enemy tiles on the board when the AI made its match. For me to fail to notice an attack tile twice in a row, especially when I'm specifically paying attention for it the second time, is unlikely though.

Next time, I'll try to catch screenshots on every single step of the AI's turn...