What determines character releases?

Options
Puritas
Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
edited March 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
aka why did we get black panther when there are so many heroes/villains people actually care about icon_e_sad.gif

Is there some kind of tentative release list we could see?

Comments

• windfallstar
    Options
    No real reason for one character over another as far as I'm aware. They did say that they're going to focus on introducing new characters rather than alternate versions of the ones we already have though.
  • He is relevant to the dark reign storyline and could fit in somewhere around where they are at..though he isn't prominent in it. *shrug. Diversity played some roll, I am sure, but its not exactly like he is there via affirmative action lol.

I don't know, a list would ruin some of the fun of it imo. Maybe tell us one character a week ahead would be okay. Beyond thati don't know if that's a good idea.
  • aka why did we get black panther when there are so many heroes/villains people actually care about
    Well, different people care about different characters (I liked the Christopher Priest run of Black Panther), and a lot of the most obvious characters are already in there.

There might be sense in focussing on heroes who largely appear as solo characters rather than comprehensive coverage of teams -- it'd cast a wider net over players' varying interest in different series.
  • You know who really was integral during Dark Reign? Deadpool. He basically ushered it in. The real question is when is he going to be added. I am pretty biased btw. But seriously
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    Black Panther generates yellow strike tiles.

Spider-man generates yellow web tiles.

There are a bunch of PvE mobs that create yellow countdown tiles or destroy yellow tiles.

I think some of it is about making life tougher on Spider-Man users before the Nerf.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Puritas wrote:
    aka why did we get black panther when there are so many heroes/villains people actually care about icon_e_sad.gif
    Would you prefer a paler shade of hero, then? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • TheHueyFreeman
    TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Puritas wrote:

I care about him.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Black Panther is cool &, as a former illuminati member, a significant Marvel character.
  • Puritas wrote:

Is there some kind of tentative release list we could see?

I think Panther was an excellent choice. He's like Namor - not an A-lister, but he's cool, has a significant fanbase, and is well known to fans of the Avengers, FF, AND X-Men.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    I'm looking forward to the release of even more major X-Men (e.g. Cyclops, Jean Grey, Mystique, Beast) or even one of the Fantastic Four: characters that people like me who've never read comics have some actual familiarity with (I've heard of Black Panther, but just barely). icon_e_biggrin.gif

Also, I hope they'll release a new 2* soon, as opposed to just 3*'s. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Am i the one only one who still wonders where the hell is Emma Frost and Deadpool? You can't have a game without them.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    (@Puritas) Generally, it's 1-2 days after you hit me right before I shield
  • Is there a list of ALL the characters that were involved in the Dark Reign storyline? I checked over the wiki (briefly) but it seems to list the big guns for the most part. Or was it one of those universe shaking events that involved practically every earth-bound character like Civil War kinda did?
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Doc Strange needs to make an appearance soon plz
  • dearbluey wrote:
    Is there a list of ALL the characters that were involved in the Dark Reign storyline? I checked over the wiki (briefly) but it seems to list the big guns for the most part. Or was it one of those universe shaking events that involved practically every earth-bound character like Civil War kinda did?

Have you ever heard of google?
    Type "dark reign characters" into your search bar.
    Click search
    Read list.

If further instructions are needed, there's no hope for you :p
  • dearbluey wrote:
    Is there a list of ALL the characters that were involved in the Dark Reign storyline? I checked over the wiki (briefly) but it seems to list the big guns for the most part. Or was it one of those universe shaking events that involved practically every earth-bound character like Civil War kinda did?

Click search
    Read list.

Hey, I was just thinking that some of the more hardcore Marvel lore fans might have something bookmarked or an obsessive list they keep. But I'll keep your suggestion in mind - after I wash off the sarcasm that fairly drips from it. icon_razz.gif
  • dearbluey wrote:
    dearbluey wrote:

Click search
    Read list.

Hey, I was just thinking that some of the more hardcore Marvel lore fans might have something bookmarked or an obsessive list they keep. But I'll keep your suggestion in mind - after I wash off the sarcasm that fairly drips from it. icon_razz.gif

Hehe.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Dark_Reign

Not exactly in list form but close as I could find to "complete"
  • dearbluey wrote:
    dearbluey wrote:

Click search
    Read list.

Hehe.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Dark_Reign

Not exactly in list form but close as I could find to "complete"

It'll do!
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    Puritas wrote:
    Would you prefer a paler shade of hero, then? icon_rolleyes.gif

Actually since my hands down favorite marvel hero is moon knight
    to the point I'm actually considering playing through the borefest that is marvel heroes so I can kit one out

yes icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Or was it one of those universe shaking events that involved practically every earth-bound character like Civil War kinda did?
    It was. Only the space-based characters would seem off-trail, really, as it's a loose adaptation of the comics story.