New releases on major holiday weekends

Options
pheregas
pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
This is just a simple plea to the devs to take into consideration major holidays for new character releases.

This is not the first time this has happened.

It almost feels like those of us with families are being punished (pun intended.)

Comments

• smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    To be honest I prefer new releases on holidays - this is the only time I am able to compete for higher placement. There are few days free of work + usually I have also some additional holidays.

I guess for some of us it's better and for some it's worse - nothing new icon_e_wink.gif
  • LegendReborn
    Options
    Meh. I don't complain when the new characters aren't released on major holidays for my religion or culture.

They wanted it to coincide with dd season 2 and it's not like you are in church or doing stuff with the family for the whole weekend but if you are, then it's no different than if you spent vacation with family and didn't have a lot of time to play. Eight hour refreshes are much easier to work around compared to the new pve. That's for sure.
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    Options
    given the frequency of new character releases, its probably a 50/50 chance that a holiday weekend is going to coincide with a new character release.

whether they actually aim to release new characters on holiday weekends is up for discussion. icon_razz.gif
  • pheregas
    Options
    I'm not advocating for one religion or any other. But social conventions pretty much mandate family gatherings during certain holidays, no matter the religion. Some of which require travel.

I cannot grind while driving. I cannot grind in areas without Internet.
  • LegendReborn
    Options
    Sorry but you are or you are advocating for no releases during any holiday. Non Christian families don't just get together every Easter weekend and lock away their technology. (I doubt Christian families do either) And if they do, it's no different than any other longer holiday weekend. Easter weekend is no different than Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Presidents' Day, etc.

There's also lots of people who have more time to play during these holiday weekends. Why should they miss out on time where they have an advantage just because some people travel with family?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not a holiday for me, just another weekend.. there is no way for them to cater to every holiday around the world. If they tried, they would not be able to ever release a character. "Don't do a new release this weekend, it's "National Chocolate Covered Raisins Day" (today 3/24) and by god not on Saturday, that is "Make Up Your Own Holiday Day"

http://www.holidayscalendar.com/holidays/weird/

good luck!
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't really care that it's a holiday, but I do miss the time when not every new release was during the weekend. My weekends are spent with my kids, my girlfriend and/or with friends, and MPQ takes a back seat to all of those. On the other hand, I can easily make time for PvE runs and end-of-sub grinds during the week if I pick the right shard. It'd be nice for players like myself if they'd drop a new character during a Monday to Thursday PvE every once in a while.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm less bothered that it's a holiday weekend, and more bothered that we just had to grind for Daisy 2 freaking weeks ago.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,225 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OJSP wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:
    I don't really care that it's a holiday, but I do miss the time when not every new release was during the weekend. My weekends are spent with my kids, my girlfriend and/or with friends, and MPQ takes a back seat to all of those. On the other hand, I can easily make time for PvE runs and end-of-sub grinds during the week if I pick the right shard. It'd be nice for players like myself if they'd drop a new character during a Monday to Thursday PvE every once in a while.
    Unfortunately, the only non-Heroic event that is 3 days is the Simulator. Perhaps Quake could've been released during the Simulator, instead of being an essential character for it? But, that meant having her as an essential for Enemy of the States. Also, there might be a timing issue with Agents of SHIELD returning to TV..

Maybe next time.. but please don't release any new ones during a Heroic event.. icon_e_smile.gif

i take heroic any day over a sim. Dont see what people are so worried about... If your not planning on playing the heroic just talk to your group leaders and tell them you will drop for the event and be back after it.. You wont need punisher for months even if that. I dont think any of the people released this year have even been used beyond the PVE after theirs have they
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I completely understand that this weekend is not any different for some. And I'm not one to advocate that "they can't have releases over holidays". but does it have to be every. freaking. one? they haven't missed a major holiday in the last 6 months - every one has had a release. some of the playerbase would prefer, every once in a while, to have a relaxing holiday. doesn't have to be every one, but some? any? just completely put off by absolutely no regard to it at all.

I would have been aok with a release over the simulator. I considered this last sim "fun but challenging" in a way EotS never was. I also happened to place well (with minimal replaying of the top iso nodes), but my roster wasn't limited to the same 5-6 characters over and over again. lots of strategies and tactics (and characters) had to be used for the different dangers in the different nodes.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Don't release on holidays, don't release on weekends, don't release on Heroic, don't release on 7-days events... if they listen to all of us, they wouldn't release new characters at all (yeah, I know some of us would want it), because always someone is complaining icon_e_wink.gif
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Let's make a giant Doodle scheduling calendar that we can all put in our conflicts and they can work around that. So far looks like April 12 and June 22 are viable.

But seriously, the schedule is what it is. Everyone has a bad time for an event at some point. Deal and move on.
  • pheregas
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    I completely understand that this weekend is not any different for some. And I'm not one to advocate that "they can't have releases over holidays". but does it have to be every. freaking. one? they haven't missed a major holiday in the last 6 months - every one has had a release. some of the playerbase would prefer, every once in a while, to have a relaxing holiday. doesn't have to be every one, but some? any? just completely put off by absolutely no regard to it at all.

I would have been aok with a release over the simulator. I considered this last sim "fun but challenging" in a way EotS never was. I also happened to place well (with minimal replaying of the top iso nodes), but my roster wasn't limited to the same 5-6 characters over and over again. lots of strategies and tactics (and characters) had to be used for the different dangers in the different nodes.

You made my point better than I did. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Easter. Every major US holiday has been papered with new characters over the last 6 months.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    pheregas wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

You made my point better than I did. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Easter. Every major US holiday has been papered with new characters over the last 6 months.

Then to me it seems that holiday releases raises spending. If people are too busy w family to play these events then maybe they buy more 10 and 40 packs.

It seems odd otherwise.

This is a business and chasing money seems to be the primary factor in how all decisions are made, player loyalty seems to be an after thought. More balance needs to be found here, to keep the spenders around and not dropping out, the amount of big 5* players leaving is shocking to say the least.

I say this Because too many decisions are unpopular with players for it to be anything else.

The new scaling in pve for example if isn't lowered im done w pve and maybe the game.

The whole point of chasing the high powered characters is to make the game easier / with more options to beat levels. Not to make the entire game harder and unfun and limit you to 3-5 characters.

But every time I do this (improve / level my roster) it seems the game just gets harder. The developers don't seem to understand this isn't fun.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Not a holiday for me, just another weekend.. there is no way for them to cater to every holiday around the world. If they tried, they would not be able to ever release a character. "Don't do a new release this weekend, it's "National Chocolate Covered Raisins Day" (today 3/24) and by god not on Saturday, that is "Make Up Your Own Holiday Day"

good luck!

TIL that my birthday falls on National Chocolate Covered Raisins Day.
  • Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    pheregas wrote:
    This is just a simple plea to the devs to take into consideration major holidays for new character releases.

This is not the first time this has happened.

It almost feels like those of us with families are being punished (pun intended.)

Don't you know that losers and nerds don't hangout with family and have no friends! So a weekend and /or holiday is the perfect time to release new characters! I personally can't wait to grind during mass on Sunday and not see my children all weekend because they can be annoying. Thank "God" for this game! Too bad they did not keep the new format, that way I would not have to interact with normal people!

Yours truly,
    The shut in!
  • y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:

good luck!

TIL that my birthday falls on National Chocolate Covered Raisins Day.

many happy returns!