Upcoming iOS 6.0 Incompatibility

Options
David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hello everyone,

We wanted to provide notice that in approximately one month (currently targeting April 18, 2016) Marvel Puzzle Quest will no longer be compatible with Apple devices using iOS version 6.0 or earlier. The minimum spec the game will support will be iOS 7.0 after the above date.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you.

*A friendly reminder: You’ll want to make sure your game is backed up to Facebook before you attempt to transfer your save to a new device.
(While in-game, tap the gear icon/then tap the Facebook icon.)

Comments

• IFORANI
    IFORANI Posts: 91
    Options
    I agree those playing with 6.0 should no longer be able to enjoy lovely MPQ. Find another device Bud! (Wolvie voice)

Where's the list of future incompatible devices? Just so I can start planning my future move now. I'm broke and share everything I do got with a local homeless shelter. NO MORE MPQ FOR YOU!
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For those holdouts who've always thought iOS 7.0 looked like a p.o.s., is there any upside to this? You know, like awesome new features that will only work on the current iOS?
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    For those holdouts who've always thought iOS 7.0 looked like a p.o.s., is there any upside to this? You know, like awesome new features that will only work on the current iOS?

Isn't 9 current? Man time flies.
  • simonsez
    Options
    Ruinate wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

Isn't 9 current? Man time flies.
    Right, but 7.0 was when it started looking like a p.o.s.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IFORANI wrote:
    I agree those playing with 6.0 should no longer be able to enjoy lovely MPQ. Find another device Bud! (Wolvie voice)

Where's the list of future incompatible devices? Just so I can start planning my future move now. I'm broke and share everything I do got with a local homeless shelter. NO MORE MPQ FOR YOU!

There are no devices that work with iOS6 and not iOS7. Even the lowly iPhone 4 got upgraded.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The iPhone 3GS and 4th gen iPod Touch are the only devices which use iOS 6 and are unable to upgrade to iOS 7; they will be locked out by this change.

That said, the experience on those devices must be pretty grim at this point. MPQ was barely responsive on my old iPhone 4.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You're right, I glossed over the 3GS.

On the other hand, if you're still using a 3GS to play newly updated games today...wow.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Indeed. I'd be interested to see some data on device usage / spread by MPQ players. Undoubtedly Demiurge has this information, but whether they'd be willing to share it openly is another thing. Deprecating a device from your service isn't a decision taken lightly; I'd bet that the number of users on those two older iOS devices is very low.
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well since I won't be spending anymore money on MPQ, I should be able to afford a new phone icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,225 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    how do people play this on their phone without going blind is beyond me... it be so freaking small.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    how do people play this on their phone without going blind is beyond me... it be so freaking small.

That's my super power. Only slowly going blind. : )
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,311 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    slidecage wrote:

iPhones? Yeah they're minuscule. Playing on a Galaxy Note 3 or above is where it's at.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    iPhone 6 Plus. Nuff said
    I have no complaints with my 6+. no way I could play on the old 4's and 5's though.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    It was a pain when I had an iPhone 5, so I played mostly on my iPad Mini at the time. Once I got an iPhone 6 (regular, not plus), the iPad began to gather dust.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This does not bode well for a good resolution of my CS request regarding my inability to roster Spider-Gwen on my Intellivision copy of MPQ....
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I had the same dilemma on my 1st Gen ipad when MPQ stopped being compatible with iOS4 and was using a windows phone. I ended up switching to Android phone. I'm no techie but is there really any need to stop supporting older devices? It's not as if this game is running 60fps in full HD with 3D graphics, it's just a match 3 game.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Linkster79 wrote:
    I had the same dilemma on my 1st Gen ipad when MPQ stopped being compatible with iOS4 and was using a windows phone. I ended up switching to Android phone. I'm no techie but is there really any need to stop supporting older devices? It's not as if this game is running 60fps in full HD with 3D graphics, it's just a match 3 game.

Sometimes there are under-the-hood improvements that can be made by programming towards a higher OS. Maybe they added in a function that makes this one thing go much faster (or makes programming it much easier), but you can only use it on iOS 7 or better. So you switch your compatibility to iOS7 so that you can use it.
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The four players in my family are still going to be OK but I always think it is disappointing when an app is no longer useable on a platform where it once was. So many apps just won't run on my first generation iPad now that I can sympathize with those who will be affected by this change.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    simonsez wrote:

Moonstone facial disappointment detection.
  • simonsez
    Options
    Hendross wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

Moonstone facial disappointment detection.
    That sentence went severely downhill at the halfway point...