Radio Silence.

Options
WelcomeDeath
WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
A 26 page thread on the horrors of pve. Another thread that summarizes all of the players complaints regarding the new pve. Have seen several players leave the game entirely in just the last few days because they expected the change to stick. Saw several spending veterans quit the game last season. The response? An announcement of another test, this time PvP. I'm sure, based on history, it will be nothing the players want and nothing we've asked for, but maybe I'm being pessimistic.

Your house is burning down around you. We want a response. We don't want radio silence. This is not the way to keep paying customers.

Comments

• Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is standard operating procedure.

We get a "test run" of a new feature, which goes poorly or is not well received.
    Radio Silence.
    Any feedback on the test gets ignored and the change or feature gets implemented as the new normal.
    More player complaints.
    This too shall pass.
  • WelcomeDeath
    Options
    This is true, I know. But it's an awful S.O.P.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    The devs are planning to comment on how things went when the tests are completed and they've gone though the data. This can take some time. There's going to be a heck of a lot of data to sift through. Please stay tuned.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2016
    Options
    David:

Will there be any official comment on the https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=40271&start=220 'Boosted' Characters Rebalancing Post-Champions thread that you started, requesting input for the developers/publishers?

Intelligent players can disagree on what is ideal 2-3-4-5* balance, and I don't expect things to always be changed to please me, but it gives a bad vibe when you solicit our feedback and then maintain radio silence.

EDIT: Oops, I snipped my URL. My bad. Thanks, David.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    A 26 page thread on the horrors of pve. Another thread that summarizes all of the players complaints regarding the new pve. Have seen several players leave the game entirely in just the last few days because they expected the change to stick. Saw several spending veterans quit the game last season. The response? An announcement of another test, this time PvP. I'm sure, based on history, it will be nothing the players want and nothing we've asked for, but maybe I'm being pessimistic.

Your house is burning down around you. We want a response. We don't want radio silence. This is not the way to keep paying customers.

While I certainly appreciate and can agree with the sentiments here to an extent, I side more with the development side on this particular issue. It was well-communicated to us all in advance that there was going to be a major PvE test, and we are also now aware of the same changes upcoming in the next PvP event shortly.

It was clearly stated in the original announcement that the plan was to run the event, then comb through the data and player feedback alike. As David said, it is going to be a huge task to look through it all.

In the end, it really does not make sense to plan and execute a test on a 7 day PvE event that was announced ahead of time despite the player base outcry. If the development team came back with a response, what would it really be? "We know this is substantially more difficult, but bear with us?" Stepping in and commenting on the status of the test would accomplish nothing except perhaps bring more vitriol from the masses because hey, someone actually responded! Attack! They may as well just cancel the test and scrap all of the current data at that point. Continuing as planned is really the only logical solution, and I don't see why we need a response yet.

Despite the fact that we are all suffering from the increased difficulty and massive new grind expectations, quitting the game altogether or crying out for a response that isn't going to accomplish anything is not the answer. If we even get a statement the day after the test saying, "We got a lot of interesting and useful data, please give us time to analyze it," I would be surprised.

Bear with them. I know history is not on the development team's side in the eyes of the forumites, but a developer response is not going to make any of us feel any better about the state of the current PvE. Besides, it reverts to the original style after this test anyway!
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    BearVenger wrote:
    David:

Will there be any official comment on the https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=4027 'Boosted' Characters Rebalancing Post-Champions thread that you started, requesting input for the developers/publishers?

Intelligent players can disagree on what is ideal 2-3-4-5* balance, and I don't expect things to always be changed to please me, but it gives a bad vibe when you solicit our feedback and then maintain radio silence.

(That link leads to a different thread, but I know of what you speak.) I honestly wish it were different, but a solicitation of feedback doesn't mean there will be an official response. I know the devs find the feedback very helpful and are reading and factoring it into decisions. But, unfortunately, they don't often have time for individual responses.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    BearVenger wrote:
    David:

Will there be any official comment on the 'Boosted' Characters Rebalancing Post-Champions thread that you started, requesting input for the developers/publishers?

I honestly wish it were different, but a solicitation of feedback doesn't mean there will be an official response.

This ALONE is one of the most messed up things that I have ever heard, involving this game / company. Truly.

Very saddening, but thank you for being honest with us, Dave. As usual.
  • Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    TLCstormz wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    BearVenger wrote:
    David:

Will there be any official comment on the 'Boosted' Characters Rebalancing Post-Champions thread that you started, requesting input for the developers/publishers?

I honestly wish it were different, but a solicitation of feedback doesn't mean there will be an official response.

This ALONE is one of the most messed up things that I have ever heard, involving this game / company. Truly.

Very saddening, but thank you for being honest with us, Dave. As usual.

o_O

You seem to be confusing feedback with a discussion.

Feedback is a loop, it is not two way, peer-to-peer conversation. Dave can reply to every piece of feedback with "Thank you for your feedback" until it means nothing, or he can say nothing, which does the same thing, but it doesn't change the nature of what "feedback" is. Most importantly, Dave can do or say very little in response to what you tell him, because he's not the producer or developer. All he can do is ask them as well.
  • WelcomeDeath
    Options
    Wow, a reply from a red on my thread. Thank you for your response (I know I come across sarcastic sometimes, but being genuine). All I was really looking for (and most of us, I think) was a response of some kind, even if it's just "we're listening, wait and see". Much better than silence.

In response to Smudge, I wasn't saying I was quitting or calling people to quit, just stating observations I had made, and I have seen people quit over the changes and lack of feedback response. Whether that is overreacting is for those players to decide. I hope there is a fix and feedback is taken seriously. Also, I wouldn't expect a full answer on how the test is going because that could potentially alter the results of the test, making it useless. But I did think some sort of response was warranted given the amount of vitriol on the forums as well as the early responses in the main PVE change announcement thread, which had ceased on the first day.

Again, thank you for your response and, speaking on behalf of the player base (oh, the audacity!), I hope you take our feedback / suggestions seriously and present a product that is improved over both systems (new timers, old scaling maybe? Or no timers...). I would gladly spend time and health packs on an event I feel is rewarding. That is all.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]

(That link leads to a different thread, but I know of what you speak.) I honestly wish it were different, but a solicitation of feedback doesn't mean there will be an official response. I know the devs find the feedback very helpful and are reading and factoring it into decisions. But, unfortunately, they don't often have time for individual responses.

David: Thanks for the honest, direct reply. It looks like I snipped my url. I corrected it above and here:

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=40271&start=220

It's gotta be hard and draining work, parsing out the data and viewpoints from the wanton hyperbole, but understanding the devs' intended meta is important to whether I decide to purchase roster slots or put more time in NetFlix or CrossFit or guitar practice (or family or even my jerb).
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    This game has a developer or mod post in pretty much every thread. Granted that their forum gets less traffic, but they're also a team of THREE people:

https://forums.bscotch.net/viewforum.php?f=48

This other Marvel game has something like 10-20 mod responses per day:

http://www.mobirum.com/en/futurefight

When I played it, this other Marvel game had constant conversations with the community and in-depth posts explaining why changes were being made:
    https://forums.marvelheroes.com/

Marvel Puzzle Quest itself used to have multiple developer responses per week.

To say that the developers don't have time to spend 5-15 minutes a day answering questions and interacting with the community is unacceptable.
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm not sure why you would expect a response before the test is even complete...
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    Keegan wrote:
    o_O

You seem to be confusing feedback with a discussion.

Feedback is a loop, it is not two way, peer-to-peer conversation. Dave can reply to every piece of feedback with "Thank you for your feedback" until it means nothing, or he can say nothing, which does the same thing, but it doesn't change the nature of what "feedback" is. Most importantly, Dave can do or say very little in response to what you tell him, because he's not the producer or developer. All he can do is ask them as well.

Why did you quote me / what are you even talking about? lol