order of operation

Options
TxMoose
TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
i thought the player's passive were supposed to proc first before opponent's passives. made a match-5 for px but caltrops processed before px's damage (killing px in this case - winfinite not good with caltrops lol). am i missing something? if i have it wrong, someone explain it to me. if I'm right and this is a bug, i'll post in bugs.

Comments

• PeterGibbons316
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    i thought the player's passive were supposed to proc first before opponent's passives. made a match-5 for px but caltrops processed before px's damage (killing px in this case - winfinite not good with caltrops lol). am i missing something? if i have it wrong, someone explain it to me. if I'm right and this is a bug, i'll post in bugs.
    Yeah, this happened to me too and I went from winning immediately to a drawn out fight trying to finish off an overleveled Wolvie/Kishu with just SWitch.

I've noticed his Master Plan is strange in that sometimes it fires immediately and sometimes it seems as if some cascades will resolve and then it will go off at the end, so I don't know.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Traps seem to process before anything else, including match damage.

(As far as I can tell, the OoO is traps->match damage->active side's match-contingent passive->inactive side's match-contingent passive->cascade->further passive activations.)
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's always been this way for those darn caltrops.

Order of operation:

1) Five Match
    2) Matched tile was TRAPPED, apply trap damage.
    3) Apply 5-match damage
    4) Make critical tile
    5) This is where it gets a little fuzzy for me, but I believe tile drop/cascade happens.
    6) Prof X passive ability is applied. - Damage, then AP generation.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would love to see a clear description of the order of operations. But I know it has been weird for a while.

case in point: quicksilver. in QS mirror matches blueshift fires twice for every blue match. Normally, the matching player's passive triggers first, then the non-matching player. But if the first match results in a cascade blue match, then everything goes to hell and all the non-matching passives fire before a second matching player's passive.

Could that be what happened here moose? Was it one match-5, or multiples? and did your match(es) cause any cascedes?
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    i had the same question regarding XFDP's Countdown for What.

My Cyclops killed DP by firing his red and destroying a line that contained two CfW countdowns, which both fired even though XFDP was gone.
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Something else related to order of operation I noticed today... my attack kills the only caltrop-dealing goon on the enemy team (so he is dead), caltrops get fired even though the goon is dead, then caltrop traps are disabled. Annoying, and completely nonsensical. If the traps are truly going to be disabled because the character is dead, why would you have them fire off one last time?
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Something else related to order of operation I noticed today... my attack kills the only caltrop-dealing goon on the enemy team (so he is dead), caltrops get fired even though the goon is dead, then caltrop traps are disabled. Annoying, and completely nonsensical. If the traps are truly going to be disabled because the character is dead, why would you have them fire off one last time?

It's all about the healthpack.pnghealthpack.pnghealthpack.pnghealthpack.png
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There is a weird thing that occurs, maybe a bug.

When you're using OML on his own, it normally goes like this:

Friend Power -> OML Red -> Match Damage

With OML/ProfX, it seems to do this:

Friend Power -> Prof X Yellow -> Match Damage -> OML Red

Which is too bad, because match damage is benefited by OML Red being done before the match damage, not afterward. Has anyone else seen this? Should I enter it in the bugs section?
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In the Quake event, I've noticed a couple of quirks with her Green skill:

If it's the first attack, it will shuffle the board first, then display the skill name banner and then her animation.
    If it follows another attack, it will display the banner first, then the animation and then shuffle the board.
  • matthatter
    matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Options

Also, should traps be temporarily disabled if the character is stunned? Stoopid Caltrops.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,061 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Actually it makes sense even if it's annoying (happens to me too and I don't like it any more than you do).

The act of matching the tile triggers the trap. That means technically it happened before the match damage was resolved (and the goon killed) because anything attached to a tile goes off before anything else.

What's incorrect is the animation order that's showing the goon death before the caltrop damage animation.

KGB
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    matthatter wrote:

Also, should traps be temporarily disabled if the character is stunned? Stoopid Caltrops.
    well - that reflects more into the wording of the traps. For example, DD's red should not fire if he's stunned (since it's him "waiting in the shadows" or whatever the tinykitty he's doing), but something that you just stumble upon (caltrops) would fire regardless of whether the person who placed the traps was stunned. Of course, by that logic, caltrops should fire even after the goon is dead, so YAY for inconsistency?
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Next you'll be asking why Caltrops is an AOE damage ability when only one person steps on them.
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    CNash wrote:
    Next you'll be asking why Caltrops is an AOE damage ability when only one person steps on them.
    Because... reasons.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    matthatter wrote:

I was pretty ticked off when I discovered that Billy Club didn't stop caltrops from firing, but had a change of heart when Gorgon got off a stun on Daredevil and then immediately tripped Ambush.

So now I don't know what to think. Although caltrops definitely are stoopid.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    CNash wrote:
    That's because the game pictures our 3 characters walking around arm in arm like Laverne & Shirley...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRmKzxhMzwo
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Another order-of-operations pain point: KOing Gorgon by matching his Awaken The Hand tiles will trigger their attack tile generation effect before Gorgon drops. If Gorgon was eliminated first, those countdowns would have expired with no penalty.