What defines success in this game?

Options
mpqr7
mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Scaling has always bothered me, because it goes like this:

* PVE enemies are too tough.
* So you level up your characters in order to be able to fight them.
* But then the PVE characters level up more.
* So you level up more.
* But then they level up more.

So the finish line keeps moving farther and farther away. It doesn't make sense. Where's the accomplishment? Doing the same battles you've done years ago, for tiny prizes?

I used to like PVE because it was a place I could use my 3* characters without fear of retaliation. I certainly can't use them in PVP at this point.. people would snipe me left and right.

But now, even on "Trivial" levels, it's Wolverine + two Red feeder nodes, so at lvls 200+, he's adamantium slashing me every couple turns, taking away 5000+ hit points and demolition my team. Why did I bother to champion every one of my 3*s if they're absolutely useless on even the first level of PVE??

This ridiculous scaling is even higher than it used to be. I've been playing for 600 days, yet I still feel like I'm on my first few days, losing battles and needing health packs like crazy. It's draining my will to play any longer.

Comments

• thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    Options
    yes to everything you said.
  • Tarheelmax
    Tarheelmax Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    "What defines success in this game?"

Being able to realize you have an addition and deleting it from your phone. I am not able to yet, but if they implement these PVE changes without some major modifications, I will be much closer to doing it.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think that hitting the unistall button (after you have synced your facebook with a brand new account so any temptation to go back is gone) is the only way to win.

In any other game of this sort it gets easier for you when you make the progress. And for the end game players there are new "nodes" that are non accessible or not beatable by "noobs" for greater rewards. Not here. Here you have to fight 10 000 health when the 2* transitioner fights 1 000 health. Maybe you both struggle the same but it still probably takes him less time. And he gets the sense of achievement when the shiny new 3* is awarded. And the vet gets 500 iso or adds a cover to a champion. But who can have iso to champion all 40 3* - not me, and I have them all covered.

The PvP is also harder for "seasoned" players as well as you get to fight with luckier or wealthier guys. In 600+ days I never had a top1 finish in PvP, once I did top 2 and couple of times top 10 but top 50 was there for me. Now - it's rather great joy if I am top 50 for the extra CP. And my roster is getting better and better with each season yet my placing is dropping (in PvE as well).

I have a gut feeling that my days of MPQ are close to an end (and not because of the changes to PvE - rather the overall bad vibe in this game).
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Success is; achieving personal enjoyment from playing.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hendross wrote:
    Success is; achieving personal enjoyment from playing.

Pretty much this. Personal progression and enjoyment are basically the only real goals. Everything else is a function of time/money rather than gameplay. While that might be one's personal thing, there's little incentives in the game to make that your goal.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Success=Alienating your family and friends because you have a grind session coming up in 5 minutes...

Ugh... EotS is burning me out...
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The new PVE paradigm appears to be attrition fights. Scaling doesn't mean unbeatable, but it does mean you're going to have to burn health packs. The irony is that "we can play when we want" and still get points, but instead of waiting 8 hours for points to refresh, you're waiting that time for your health packs to regenerate.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Breaking the daily addiction and uninstalling?
  • Nate7671
    Nate7671 Posts: 47
    Options
    JackTenrec wrote:
    The new PVE paradigm appears to be attrition fights. Scaling doesn't mean unbeatable, but it does mean you're going to have to burn health packs. The irony is that "we can play when we want" and still get points, but instead of waiting 8 hours for points to refresh, you're waiting that time for your health packs to regenerate.

Exactly this.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Why did I bother to champion every one of my 3*s if they're absolutely useless on even the first level of PVE??

Because leveling up your characters is always a good thing now, right? Wait, it isn't? But they said...ah, well.

I do think it would be really funny if there's someone at d3 intentionally messing with us. "Watch, we'll get them to spend all this iso, for months, to champion characters. Then comes the best part, we'll make them totally worthless! It will be EPIC man! Maybe we can even get some of these poor slobs to spend real money on ISO."

Just saying. In an awful sort of way, it would be funny.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Options
    Success is playing at the level of the game that brings you the most enjoyment with the least negative impact on the rest of your life.