Take away "boosted" chars

tizian2015
tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
"Boosting" Chars would be a great idea, to get them competitive, but it brings more problems, so take it away.

"boosting" brings more levels for the char, so the scaling in pve grows too. For boosted 2*s and 3*s is another problem, they get the extralevels, but they are nerfed by about 30%, so they face stronger enemies without the old damagepotential to take them out. Having for rosterdiversity and collecting mostly all chars and champion them i.e. all 2*s brings the problem, you have a full-leveled champion 2* moonstone, it is boosted for the event, you never played it (except essential-node), but her boosted level counts for scaling, so other more used chars are scaled out for the event by this char.

Or just boost 4*s and withdraw the damagenerf for 2*s and 3*s, so champion them gives an advantage and not a full-level 144 2*champion gets only back boosted to the (damage)days it was a boosted 94 2*.

Hope you understand my point and sorry for my englisch icon_e_wink.gif

Comments

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Better option, count their natural level for any scaling calculations and thus the boosted char actually gives the player a boost.
  • Suddenreal
    Suddenreal Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Crowl wrote:
    Better option, count their natural level for any scaling calculations and thus the boosted char actually gives the player a boost.

That would make the encounter a bit too easy. I'd suggest a lower boost. My lvl 114 Thor is boosted to 180 in the PVE event. I feel if he would be boosted to only 130 or 140, the nodes would be more manageable to clear with non-boosted characters.
  • tizian2015
    Crowl wrote:

Dont know if it is better icon_e_wink.gif but i agree with this thought. With this option a boosted char would be a potential help and not the reason someone cannot use about 80% of his roster.
  • tizian2015
    Suddenreal wrote:
    Crowl wrote:

That would make the encounter a bit too easy. I'd suggest a lower boost. My lvl 114 Thor is boosted to 180 in the PVE event. I feel if he would be boosted to only 130 or 140, the nodes would be more manageable to clear with non-boosted characters.

But isnt this the idea of boosting a char? to make things easier? And some boosted chars are worthless because of bad synergies, but their levels count for scaling.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes it never made sense to me that scaling was affected by boosting. Why bother boosting the characters if that will punish the player?

Scaling in general is very frustrating for me. Punishing us for trying to progress in this game? What's the point?
  • Crowl
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Yes it never made sense to me that scaling was affected by boosting. Why bother boosting the characters if that will punish the player?

Scaling in general is very frustrating for me. Punishing us for trying to progress in this game? What's the point?

You only have to look at the boosted 4's in the next event, you have rubbish like Mr. F and totally awful hulk along with likely under-covered ones such as spider-gwen and quake, how are that lot a benefit to anyone's teams that they should hurt your scaling.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    tizian2015 wrote:
    But isnt this the idea of boosting a char? to make things easier? And some boosted chars are worthless because of bad synergies, but their levels count for scaling.
    nope, boosted characters were implemented at a time when 2 characters dominated upper pvp play (and were also used exclusively for harder pve nodes too). this was right at the end of the glory days of xfw and 4thor around the same time of their nerf. boosted lists were introduced to encourage a variety of team composition rather than using the same characters over and over again. it has done pretty good in that regard. along with (outside of OML and 5*s) a broader 'top tier' than there was in the xf/gt days. now there are at least 5 characters in the top tier of the 4*s now (hb, jean, ice, rulk, cyke) and there is less reason to have the boosteds, but i think the playerbase likes them because it lets you play characters you normally wouldn't play. i don't mind playing vision, but i'll probably never level him and the only time he's viable for me is when he's boosted. in a week like this, having the right boosteds is critical for success in pvp though. if you don't have 2 of ice/cyke/xpool, you're struggling this week. next week the only hammer is rulk, but he'll make a huge difference for those who have him. it mixes things up, and i enjoy that aspect.
  • tizian2015
    TxMoose wrote:
    tizian2015 wrote:
    nope, boosted characters were implemented at a time when 2 characters dominated upper pvp play (and were also used exclusively for harder pve nodes too). this was right at the end of the glory days of xfw and 4thor around the same time of their nerf. boosted lists were introduced to encourage a variety of team composition rather than using the same characters over and over again. it has done pretty good in that regard. along with (outside of OML and 5*s) a broader 'top tier' than there was in the xf/gt days. now there are at least 5 characters in the top tier of the 4*s now (hb, jean, ice, rulk, cyke) and there is less reason to have the boosteds, but i think the playerbase likes them because it lets you play characters you normally wouldn't play. i don't mind playing vision, but i'll probably never level him and the only time he's viable for me is when he's boosted. in a week like this, having the right boosteds is critical for success in pvp though. if you don't have 2 of ice/cyke/xpool, you're struggling this week. next week the only hammer is rulk, but he'll make a huge difference for those who have him. it mixes things up, and i enjoy that aspect.

I´m a bit pleased, that you see the problem of boosting and scaling in your actual feedback in the unstable-iso8 test.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Boosted characters are great. I got to use underleveled and underused characters (Star-Lord, Falcap, Groot, etc) in the Unstable ISO-8. When the difficulty got too high for those guys I switched to my non-boosted standby (Fistbuster) and finished up. Without boosted guys I'd be encouraged to just grind Fistbuster/KK forever, which would work great but isn't fun.

If your "bad" characters are boosted just play with your unboosted go-tos. Like, say you're a two month roster and you have Champ OBW/MMags/Storm, who do everything for you, and like, 1 cover Venom and Chulk boosted to 150. Just play MMags/Storm/Venom and get some use out of Venom's yellow, or just as a meat shield, or whatever.

That's my advice... Don't play with your boosted characters "just because" they're boosted. Sure, play with one or two at a time for variety. But a vastly underleveled team with full covers and synergy is going to beat a random team of "highest level guys" anytime.
  • Hoho69
    Hoho69 Posts: 48
    I highly support boosting characters this has starting players be competetive with the expereinced ones with better rosters. Also even for veterans it is very helpful.
  • tizian2015
    ErikPeter wrote:
    Boosted characters are great. I got to use underleveled and underused characters (Star-Lord, Falcap, Groot, etc) in the Unstable ISO-8. When the difficulty got too high for those guys I switched to my non-boosted standby (Fistbuster) and finished up. Without boosted guys I'd be encouraged to just grind Fistbuster/KK forever, which would work great but isn't fun.

If your "bad" characters are boosted just play with your unboosted go-tos. Like, say you're a two month roster and you have Champ OBW/MMags/Storm, who do everything for you, and like, 1 cover Venom and Chulk boosted to 150. Just play MMags/Storm/Venom and get some use out of Venom's yellow, or just as a meat shield, or whatever.

That's my advice... Don't play with your boosted characters "just because" they're boosted. Sure, play with one or two at a time for variety. But a vastly underleveled team with full covers and synergy is going to beat a random team of "highest level guys" anytime.

I dont mean underleveled full covered Chars. The scaling-problem hits in my case my full leveled 2* champs, they were my strongest chars beside my 3* ragnarok, but i cant use them (even hawkeyes passive was too weak for the overscaled goons because of this 2* 3* nerf). If you have the problem of underleveled chars, its a matter of iso, and to solve this, boosting is the wrong way.
    Hoho69 wrote:
    I highly support boosting characters this has starting players be competetive with the expereinced ones with better rosters. Also even for veterans it is very helpful.

If I got you right, for you its a matter of pvp, for me its mainly a pve matter. i doubt boosting makes a big difference in pve, because the boost scales the ai up.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    tizian2015 wrote:
    I´m a bit pleased, that you see the problem of boosting and scaling in your actual feedback in the unstable-iso8 test.
    yes, unstable was slightly better than EotS, partly because they supposedly pulled back on the scaling, but my guess is, much more because none of my maxed 4s were boosted. boosteds in 4* play are really damaging to your scaling because most only have a few maxed out anyway, so if 2 are boosted into the 350s, your scaling is based on a level 300s roster, when reality is that most of your roster is actually less than 200. making the vast majority of your roster completely useless. I like boosted characters and the variety it provides. I think scaling off of them, especially with the new pve system, is a bad idea.
  • Crowl
    TxMoose wrote:
    tizian2015 wrote:
    yes, unstable was slightly better than EotS, partly because they supposedly pulled back on the scaling, but my guess is, much more because none of my maxed 4s were boosted. boosteds in 4* play are really damaging to your scaling because most only have a few maxed out anyway, so if 2 are boosted into the 350s, your scaling is based on a level 300s roster, when reality is that most of your roster is actually less than 200. making the vast majority of your roster completely useless. I like boosted characters and the variety it provides. I think scaling off of them, especially with the new pve system, is a bad idea.

Not sure what I had done to piss them off, but I didn't have any highly boosted chars in the 2nd event, but had scaling that was basically identical to the first test.

As far as boosted characters, the devs seriously need to google the definition of 'boost' as it is idiotic that these characters make things more difficult for people rather than giving their roster an actual boost, for scaling purposes these characters should be included at their standard level.