A tweak for Caltrops

rbdragon
rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
Caltrops sucks. It's gotta be the worst goon power there is, or at least very close. But if you insist on frustrating us with this awful power, at least change how it destroys us - have it remove all traps associated with it. Each time 3 traps are spawned. If one is matched by the enemy, all others go with it. If they match their own, then it stays the same.

Too many end up on the board - let's stop the ridiculousness of this.

Comments

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Things like caltrops are just a symptom of the real issue and that is that goons all generate far too much ap, they should do something like they do not generate ap in their turn if there isn't a viable move that would generate their particular colour(s) and they should not be paired up with a hero that uses the same colours as that also gives too much of a boost.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's not the worst power. It's pretty bad, but I think the Symbiote Carrier's Critical Mass may be worse in the long run. The fact that Caltrops damages the team instead of the matchmaker is pretty bad though, especially with strike tiles out. Not sure why it damages the whole team. Maybe if it worked more like caltrops, damaging the one making the match (stepping on it) and stunning for one turn (since they are meant to slow someone, not kill them). Yes, I'm suggesting making them stun you as a trap. Less of them scattered on the field might be nice though (can't be used if X caltrops are already out).
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Sentry Gunner's Core Meltdown is worst. But yeah, Caltrops is tinykitty, nothing says "eat some health packs!" like a mission with two Kishu. I think they could tone it down by 50% damage and it would still be an effective and irritating power to play against, but without the occasional "lose before you get to the real fight" in long wave missions.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd settle for them not damaging me after I've killed the kishu.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    zodiac339 wrote:
    (snip) Maybe if it worked more like caltrops, damaging the one making the match (stepping on it) and stunning for one turn (since they are meant to slow someone, not kill them). Yes, I'm suggesting making them stun you as a trap. Less of them scattered on the field might be nice though (can't be used if X caltrops are already out).
    I actually like this. They should slow you down and do trivial damage, not lay waste to your entire team. When boosted however, their damage is utterly ridiculous. I've lost numerous matches to buffed up caltrops.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah I have posted this before but caltrops historically never did great damage but delayed opponents. Instead of a team wide damage, stunning the matching player for 2-3 turns and some minor damage would be fairer and more accurate to the power. Hey being stunned hurts as that gives the AI team more chance for their other countdown tiles to go off. What is worse than the what the OP mentioned, is that Kishu purple power allows for quick and effective defense shields to pop up fast which makes it even harder to kill them before you start triggering their caltrops....

I personally hate Muscle more than Kishu though but it is close. Muscle just have so much health and place large strike tiles fast that can down you real quick, especially if the AI has an active character. Their blue team attack is devastating as well, especially if several strike tiles have been placed. Symbiotes are annoying but I always go with the following order of elimination and they haven't been awful for me: Mutuation Dogs, Carriers, Horror, and finally Demolishers. Ultron goons are the most annoying but since they can actually match tiles, I don't consider them true goons like all of the others mentioned.
  • Pogo
    Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    I'd be in favor of Caltrops stunning 1 turn if it meant only the matchmaker got hit, and for less damage. For the amount the power does now, it should cost a lot more AP to fire.