New Changes and effect on Spending

mrPuzzleQuester
mrPuzzleQuester Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi All,

With the recent changes to the game: championing, change from hp to cp for purchasing covers, new DDQ, 3* nerf, and now the (still a work in progress) PVE changes I was wondering if spending has changed - for the small group of players here who read the forums. The way I want to track it is by posting how much potential revenue has been lost or gained - one time purchases as well as reoccurring (i.e monthly). For me, I have spent very little comparatively (I've spent $45 total in about a year) - and I don't plan on spending any more (mostly because I don't see it helping with progression) so they've lost about $50 in one-time revenue - probably what I would have eventually spent the next sale.

So I have something like this:
One time revenue : - $50

Monthly revenue: $0

Since I don't spend regularly I have nothing to add to monthly revenue, but if you do then you can add to that column. If the next user can add to what I have and everyone who posts can also add to the tally then the most recent post should have a running total of revenue lost or gained with these changes. I know it's a very small drop in the bucket for the game but I, as well as others here, are curious if these changes are actually making people spend more or less on the game.

Comments

• XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    I'm mostly FtP - I threw down a stark salary when I realized how many hours I have played the game. Any game that can keep me going for hundreds of hours, even if I grumble on occasion, deserves it.

It's not the best game I've ever played, sure - but it's kept me at least mildly entertained far longer than most other titles have.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    spent 60euro and stopped when the 5*s arrived.
    being able to get the very best characters of the game but simultaneously being punished for it sealed the deal for me.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm all one time purchases, not putting money in each month. Last time was $20 for the 2 for 1 deal earlier this year. I know I'm over $100 overall, but don't know the exact figure offhand.

I don't plan to put any more money into the game until they realize people without maxed 4&5* rosters still are trying to play, in both PvP and story mode, and implement a more logical progression is necessary. New changes with making getting cp more difficult each time I win but don't get the cp, and making nodes more difficult overall, thus further limiting progression goals are going in the absolute opposite direction of where they should, and will probably ensure I'll uninstall if made permanent.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    I'm a 3x buyer totaling $75. The change for me was pretty moot. Since I had only bought 2 covers ever with HP and 0 with CP.
    My HP flow is a trickle, net +50 per event... which covers new roster spots, it's a wash.
    The CP flow is even slower since i gave up PvE

I have no intention to buy again.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Since the change to cover buying, I haven't and don't plan to spend a dime. What would I buy? I make enough HP simply playing to cover roster slot costs and PvP shields. I refuse to buy health packs...they can do whatever they want to try to force me to buy them, but quite frankly, I will just not play before I spend money on them. If I need a few more heals to finish a PvP climb and I already have the HP to spend, then sure, I might pop 200 of it for some heals, but I'd never spend actual money for them. Boosts? Nah...not worth it. ISO icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Yea, no...I spent some money in the past to cover max characters I liked, but once they removed the ability to direct buy covers with HP, my wallet closed.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    I quit spending last year anyway, only making an exception for that New Year's sale they had.

At my level there's simply no value-for-money option in the game that makes sense for me. My 3* roster is mostly complete, my 4* roster is a joke with very limited avenues for advancement (lucky token pulls is it for me, really), and the game's reward structure remains stuck in "stingy stingy tightwad" territory, still geared around 3* characters and dribbling amounts of ISO.

I play DDQ every day, maybe make a full clear of a Story sub if I feel like it, and try sometimes to go to 575 or higher in PVP, but have never bothered pushing beyond 800 nor do I see myself attempting to do so in the future. MPQ has really become 'just a game' to me now, so I just putter away at whatever pace I feel like.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally, I miss the covers selling for HP. If they still did, I know I'd spend a Lot more than I do now. What I used to do was when a new character was released, I would get a high enough placement to get at least 1 of each color. Then I would buy extra covers to make the new character 3/3/3. This way I could play around with the abilities and see how they worked. I would play with them at 3/3/3 for a few weeks to see which abilities I wanted to take to 4 or 5 covers. Then I would do that. Any extra covers I got would go to making a duplicate that I would leave at base level so I could use them in trivial or easy nodes.

Now I can't do that anymore. So, as I said, if it were still HP for covers, I'd spend a lot more. I still spend quite a bit, but if I could buy covers like before, the amount would definitely more than triple. Oh well, I guess Demi don't want my money. icon_cry.gif

JJ
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Day 123 player here. I spent money in the beginning on HP for roster slots since I was enjoying the game. Luckily for me some of that coincided with sales.

I also bought a Logan's that I didn't need as a show of support when they originally announced the matchmaking change test. I have a 2 to 3* roster but also three 5* characters so the scaling is really annoying and makes the game harder than it should be.

I haven't spent any money since. I definitely will never spend cash on health packs. If they change matchmaking and get to a place where I feel the difficulty is a realistic match for the characters I have rostered then I will buy more HP that I don't need to support the game. Being offered a level 330 OML when I'm only at 400 points in PvP is not realistic for my 3* characters.

Edit: Just got hit by a level 275 Fistbuster. No retaliation possible there.
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    im day 506. ive just started champing 4s after finishing my 3s in december.

none of these changes will impact my spending. ive put money into the game several times in the past, but dont plan on ever putting money in the game again as theres really nothing left to buy. my roster slots are self sustaining and ive even started buying the daily deal in vaults that have a few needed 4s. all i want are 5s and the price of those is a bit too high (by a few mortgage payments).

i might put money in during a sale if my alliance mostly throws in just not to be a sponger, but otherwise im not going to come to the forums threatening to never spend money because of these changes because i wasnt going to anyway. if these changes are implemented as is, ill just stop playing for pve placements and just make one clear or so for the low hanging rewards and just ignore getting new characters altogether.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    It sounds like they need to bring back cover purchases for hp like it was. We don't want to spend on health packs due to higher scaling. Let us spend where we used
    To please.
  • Day 160 player

I started playing right before they ended the hp for cover transactions. I spent close to 450 covering red hulk and 4*clops, and would probably have budgeted in 20 bucks a week if I could still buy covers.

Now I see no reason to ever, ever spend money. Even on sales. Waste. More fun as a free to play game anyways