Event report

Options
carrion_pigeons
carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Okay, so this is my experience with the EotS event so far.

I joined slice 5 as I typically do. Got into the first fight, with loaner character, all was good, nothing seemed particularly hard. I looked at the node again after beating it, and it's worth fewer points, with a 24 hour timer. Not what I was expecting, but after reviewing the details of the test, I understood.

Got into the first real fight with my actual characters, vs what turned out to be 4 waves of ninjas. Since I didn't actually know what I was facing, I brought OBW/Hood/Psylocke since that's usually a solid TBE team in DDQ (although not against ninjas, unfortunately). I lost, which I'd feel less bad about if the game had told me what I was supposed to expect. Armed with info about what I was facing, I break out my best PvE character (GSBW), along with Punisher/Hulk (yes my roster sucks) and limp out of the match with about half my HP gone.

So...that's the *starting* difficulty?

I want to point out that my game experience wasn't what I would call bad. I liked the tension in the first attempt, even though I lost, and I liked having to decide to bring a lot of board shake characters. I would call this fight pretty cool if it was maybe the second to last node in the sub. But it was the *first* node in the sub, on the easiest setting. As a result, I didn't have the chance to consider bringing, say, a level 114 She-Hulk to the fight, because although she's not bad against ninjas in theory, her level was not adequate to make me confident she wouldn't be useless.

So, the tougher scaling is fun in the sense of me enjoying that one match specifically. But the scaling does very little to make me want to continue, nor does it enable me to make strategic decisions with my roster.

This is a game design flaw. The game should make me want to fight harder guys. I have tons of suggestions for how to do that but they all run into the issue of making the game less monetized, which I know you won't do even if it would be good for your ultimate bottom line. So, I guess that's the end of my feedback. I can't offer any useful suggestions for improving your game because everything I have to say about the game is summed up in "monetization is the single most cynical and counter-productive idea for driving game design that ever existed".