RIP Roster

Options
Druss
Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
With the proposed change I can see the death of my roster.

It has already got to the point that, with the 3* mega nerf, the essential character in the middle has become completely obsolete. Many recent events there has been no reason to use the 3* powers over the 4* counterparts. Even when the 3* out-levels the 4* due to boosted championing, the 3* merely becomes a damage sponge.

If nodes are going to scale according to your level I personally think that I'm better off with a loaner +2 than a Lv 300+ sponge +2.

Seems a shame to spend 18 months maxing all the 3*'s just to make them all Yelena's.

Comments

• truxcer
    truxcer Posts: 9
    Options
    hopefully they come to their senses in a week, this is extremely stupid decision. People selling off 80% of their roster can't be good sign for the game.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    why would somebody sale 80% of his roster?
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ammenell wrote:
    why would somebody sale 80% of his roster?
    Boy oh boy. If I decided to completely give up PvE and DDQ, I could sell so many covers in the 3* field. I quite honestly don't use anyone besides Cyke, IM40, KK, IF. Even Loki and Hood have fallen out of favor with me. But oh man, all the ISO I could get from selling all the rest? That would max at least 2 of my 4* that need it.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    selling a maxed 3* to level a 4* doesnt seem like a good idea

rather short sighted, how would you get iso if you are missing essentials in pve and the required character in ddq?
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Exactly this.

I was sad when I sold all of my maxed 2*'s because they became so irrelevant and roster slots became so expensive.

Now I have 36 maxed 3*'s, and maybe soon will have 40. But there is no place left in the game to use them! It doesn't matter if your 3* is a 60 or a 266 - when you see 350's all around them. I won't sell the 3*'s - but I won't be using them anymore either.

I liked taking the weaker 3*'s, or underleveled/undercovered 4*'s into PVE to try them out. The only place to try them! It breaks up the monotony of running the same team over, and over, and over....

But now, you'll have to be using your best roster (or winfinite...) on every single node - both PVE and PVP. This is just another nail in the coffin of "roster diversity".
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ammenell wrote:

rather short sighted, how would you get iso if you are missing essentials in pve and the required character in ddq?

I think that if the changes to EotS go into place as the standard for pve then the implication is that they would not bothering with it that much and as far as ddq, they would just need single cover versions of the characters to be able to complete it all and could sell off the more valuable fully covered one since their scaling would prevent them from using either version of the character in pve anyway.
  • Druss
    Options
    not to forget also that, except for the iso, DDQ is becoming irrelevant as well - winning a 3* when they have been effectively nerfed out of the game is pointless
  • Druss
    Options
    Druss, I can't recall your alliance. How many 3*s have you champed? What levels are they at?

To reply: I have all 40 champed - between levels 170-195 most in the 180's. Re the comment that I'd be glad I did - I have to disagree - at this point a Lv 70 loaner would be far more valuable than a Lv 180 3* - with boosting this goes to the 300-310 range where, unfortunately, they effect scaling but offer no value as their powers are underwhelming vs 25k+ health opponents
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow it is true, I haven't thought about that, but with the new PvE changes, with all nodes being difficult from the beginning, I wont be able to use my 3s ever again (I am a 4 to 5 transition player), maybe just in DDQ. Why do I want all those chars If I can't use them ?!?!?!

Man, this is really a DISASTER, what were they thinking ?!?!?!?
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ammenell wrote:

Depends really. From the impression I got, a lot of the names in which I've seen on the forums as of late are unrecognizable to me if they are the same as ther IGNs in PvP. PvP does not require me to have the featured character to do well. OML/XFDP/IMHB/JG/Rulk/Bobby is enough to just yoyo up and down the leaderboard until you feel like climbing. That also means 70-250 ISO a match + 30 ISO from not skipping. It comes in quick enough for me to be stable. Honestly, after that point, who do I really need to put ISO into?
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Druss wrote:
    Druss, I can't recall your alliance. How many 3*s have you champed? What levels are they at?

To reply: I have all 40 champed - between levels 170-195 most in the 180's. Re the comment that I'd be glad I did - I have to disagree - at this point a Lv 70 loaner would be far more valuable than a Lv 180 3* - with boosting this goes to the 300-310 range where, unfortunately, they effect scaling but offer no value as their powers are underwhelming vs 25k+ health opponents

Except that scaling won't take into consideration the loaner since it isn't in your roster. You will be scaled based on the existing covers in your roster... all the good ones you decide to keep to play with that loaner. Wouldn't that be worse?
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'd be curious to see how a 2* roster would fare using PvE to leap straight to 4* now. You're missing 3* essentials (and likely 4* essentials at first too), but I'm guessing that without needing to pile on covers for all but minimal 3*s, you're going to save a lot of time. By my math, you could take 84 weeks to amass enough CP to outright buy any 4* to max covers assuming no CP from purchases, 2* champions, or placement rewards.

In 1 year, again from just the 25 CP reward, you could get 98 classic LTs. That's not really enough on its own, as that's about 4 covers per 4* (assuming no 5*s). However, if you're looking at shaving off 1.5-2 years by skipping the 3* level... it could potentially be viable.

In the OP's case, if selling off all but say five 3*s means he can max out two top-5, synergetic 4*s... that opens him up to the 1K reward easy and potentially the 1.3K reward in PvP. Pretty sure that would accelerate the 4* transition faster than trying to get 75-100 covers for any given 3*, as long as OP could still hit PvE progressions.

The "queen sacrifice" of MPQ, so to speak.
  • Druss
    Options
    as to missing essentials - just having a 1/1/1 lv 70 in your roster would work
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Druss wrote:
    With the proposed change I can see the death of my roster.

It has already got to the point that, with the 3* mega nerf, the essential character in the middle has become completely obsolete. Many recent events there has been no reason to use the 3* powers over the 4* counterparts. Even when the 3* out-levels the 4* due to boosted championing, the 3* merely becomes a damage sponge.

If nodes are going to scale according to your level I personally think that I'm better off with a loaner +2 than a Lv 300+ sponge +2.

Seems a shame to spend 18 months maxing all the 3*'s just to make them all Yelena's.

I think your looking at the PVP in the wrong light. Your assumption is that the "feature character" is supposed to be a magical hammer to victory. And that might be true at the 2* and 3* world.

But in current high level pop, the "featured" character is the anchor that must be minimized. I.E. If you consistently use the loaner 3*, your team will get queued and sniped by literally every other player.

Truthfully, your only real goal with 3* characters is to level them enough so that they can't get 1 shotted.