The sad state of PvP for me.

Options
snlf25
snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm a late 3* transitioner, I don't have a 4* team to go to, I have an OLM with 4 yellow covers, a level 210 5/3/4 4pool and a close to 10million iso deficit.

Webslinger PvP

1st slice, in from the beginning
528 points
18th place

It's like this every time for me. I can't get enough competition to score 1000 any more, used to be able to do it reliably.

Fix matchmaking and scaling instead of adding new characters every other day, devs, because this isn't fun and these problems will kill the game.

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    my experience is 1 is very hit and miss during the week. I tried 1 a while back due to scheduling/travel once and I really struggled to just make 1K. I'd try a different slice for the weekday events. 1 in the weekends isn't so bad because everyone likes to get it all in on Saturday night, so there's more big boys around. that's my experience.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Try slice 4. That's almost always a high scorer for me. I got to about 800 and was just within top 100.
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    That's weird, I had 1300 points and was in 17th place.
    There were definately a lot of big targets floating around in the s1 Spider-Man PVP
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    18th place with 528 points?!
    I can't even remember the last time I hit top 25 with a score lower than 1.3k :/
    That's usually s1 as well.
    Even as a 3* player you should be getting more points than that though.
    What does your roster look like?
    What kind of opponents are you matching up against and for how many points?
    How many teams are you skipping to find good point match ups?
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would kill to be in the OP bracket as at least I could get champ 3* covers. Instead I don't have much of a 4* roster X-Force Wolv at 9 and lvl 166 is my best and I place in the 300's with 400 pts for an event and can't even sniff 1000 because everyone has dominant 4* teams.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    has to be a lower bracket there. I read that as 825 (some dyslexia here), which could conceivably happen in a lazy bracket. no way 528 gets you t20 in any upper end bracket. and I'm not sure how they split up mmr for offering opponents when you're in a lower bracket. do you get offered the same opponents as all the others slice-wide? or do your opponents get restricted to only others of the same level?
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Similar problem here. If the devs just re-tuned the scaling I would be a lot more inclined to buy hp for shields, but at the moment I am content to coast in PVE. It doesn't seem like there is much middle ground here. Either you get relaxed scaling with an immature roster or you need a roster with some maxed 4* to make a dent in PVP. People working to develop their 3* roster need not apply.
  • OP was in noob bracket. Even with a top tier 4* team hitting 1k isn't easy when there isn't anyone else 1k+ to cue.

You've got to graduate to the big leagues first.
  • Whub Whubz
    Options
    Matchmaking as a whole is just about as broken as it can get.
    200 players sitting in a room softballing each other; multiple of these per slice. Alliances with full truces towards other alliances, etc etc.
    It's a hard game if you aren't behind the scenes working with the illuminate, your best bet is to check out the alliance page and find a PvP alliance to show you the door that is Marvel Politic Quest.
    PS. Removing names would be a easy start to get people playing Puzzle Quest; and not Politic Quest.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got #12 in my bracket in Slice 4 with 599 points. Every time I broke 600 I took a loss at the same time so never was able to break into top 10. Was really hoping to climb to 800 but only top two players were over 800 when it ended. It seems like there aren't enough points floating around to do well. If guys with championed 4*'s can't break 1K how do I get to 800?
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, that is insanity. I'd love to be back in a non bracket like that for a lark. I don't have any good 4*s either, but in my web slinger, you needed 1900+ to hit the to ten. Placement simply isn't a possibility for me anymore, and getting trounced by 4* and 5* teams is common.
  • snlf25
    Options
    Top 10 in my bracket

There is something really damned wrong with my "level" or whatever. When only one guy in the bracket gets 1K it's on the devs and the **** system, not on the players. This needs fixed.

I only skip to avoid when I find fully leveled 4 star teams or an OML with all three covers, which isn't very often. The rest of my skips are just to try to find points. As easy as some of my opponents are, I'm not going to bother for 8-12 points.

I have
    26 3* champions ranging from level 179 to 167, most of them mid 170s
    6 2* champions
    Every 4* but Gwen and Nova
    a level 210 4pool
    I can defeat a little over half of the 4* ddqs with my 4* roster as it is
    3 covers for Silver Surfer
    4 covers for Old Man Logan
    1 cover each for black spidey and phoenix
    85 roster slots, two 1*s - Iron man and juggernaught
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    snlf25 wrote:
    There is something really damned wrong with my "level" or whatever. When only one guy in the bracket gets 1K it's on the devs and the tinykitty system, not on the players. This needs fixed.

I only skip to avoid when I find fully leveled 4 star teams or an OML with all three covers, which isn't very often. The rest of my skips are just to try to find points. As easy as some of my opponents are, I'm not going to bother for 8-12 points.

Just to go ahead and temper your expectations - I normally play in slice 4. I've seen a lot of people hit 2K and more on the leaderboards. I'm a 3* transitioner myself, and after I hit about 4-500 points I will have to spend thousands of ISO to see anyone worth more than 32 points (I try to aim for at least 40).

You will have the ability to score higher, but don't get the impression that any particular slice is just gobs of points out there for the taking (unless you're on line to know when people are unshielding, in which case they are if you're playing when others are).

The current PvP system is quite bonkers.
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I actually hit 1300 for the first time ever in slice 1. Wasnt really trying but for the first time ever I passed 1k and saw cupcakes. Of course the only reason I tried for 1k was because future fight was down for maintenance and I was bored.
  • snlf25
    Options
    snlf25 wrote:
    There is something really damned wrong with my "level" or whatever. When only one guy in the bracket gets 1K it's on the devs and the tinykitty system, not on the players. This needs fixed.

Just to go ahead and temper your expectations - I normally play in slice 4. I've seen a lot of people hit 2K and more on the leaderboards. I'm a 3* transitioner myself, and after I hit about 4-500 points I will have to spend thousands of ISO to see anyone worth more than 32 points (I try to aim for at least 40).

You will have the ability to score higher, but don't get the impression that any particular slice is just gobs of points out there for the taking (unless you're on line to know when people are unshielding, in which case they are if you're playing when others are).

The current PvP system is quite bonkers.

My expectations are tempered. A few seasons ago I could hit 1k in every PvP that didn't have Kingpin as the prize because those were bloodbaths. With the last matchmaking changes that all went away. With the added penalty of overly nerfing the entire 3* tier progression and prize potential is nowhere as good as it used to be. The only avenue I have to better my roster is championing for LTs and grinding for the 25CP in PvE and you can't get everyone of those or your scaling bends you over. You have to plan to fail every couple to keep it manageable.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    snlf25 wrote:
    My expectations are tempered. A few seasons ago I could hit 1k in every PvP that didn't have Kingpin as the prize because those were bloodbaths. With the last matchmaking changes that all went away. With the added penalty of overly nerfing the entire 3* tier progression and prize potential is nowhere as good as it used to be. The only avenue I have to better my roster is championing for LTs and grinding for the 25CP in PvE and you can't get everyone of those or your scaling bends you over. You have to plan to fail every couple to keep it manageable.

I'm having a similar experience. Haven't hit 1000 for weeks. Didn't manage it at all in the last season, don't think I did it in the season before that either. Seeing way more 4* teams much earlier than before, either due to my roster or just how matchmaking works in general.

Points are harder to earn, I only ever seem to find enemies worth 25-35 points, and anything higher is a max level championed 4* team. I do okay with my level 222 Thoress plus IM40, it kills things pretty quick if I can get going. But on defense it's such an easy target.

Using my 3*s just takes far too long now, they don't hit nearly hard enough. Maybe in a year when I've come close to maxing out their champion status. Maybe.
  • I was in slice 3 of webslinger I think? Anyway, I'd been floating around in the top 5-10 for awhile and just made the push until I ran out of health packs. Got to 2nd at 740 something and figured, "I'll just shield for 8 hrs, then play one or two matches to get the much needed Spidey cover.

No such luck. Literally the second my shield went down I was fodderized by high level teams like Fistbuster or Jeanbuster. Teams that my Champed 2*s and loaner Spidey can't handle. I tried desperately for that cover, until I had finally had enough of being hit 3 times while I fought a match. Finally I just decided to stop trying and finished 60th something.

Needless to say, this experience left a sour taste in my mouth and I decided to skip any pvp that doesn't have covers I need.
  • ScrubJay
    ScrubJay Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    Remember the days 600 points would get you top 50 in any PVP? ScrubJay remembers.

But yes, the last 2 PVPs were very low effort for me. Points dried up completely at the 700 point mark and that was top 25 territory.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You must be sectioned off from whatever game I'm playing as I hit 1300 normally. That got me exactly top 25. Slice 1? Definitely didn't see you if that is your ign. Must be way below where I am as I know some players who are higher than me that I can't ever seem to find.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. When I bother playing PvP (which is rare), I get into a noob bracket and therefore the progression rewards are unattainable. The "solution" if you can call it that is to just try a whole lot harder and more consistently so you dig yourself out of the noob brackets. I for one have no plans to do that, so I won't be hitting 800 progression any time soon, let alone 1300.

It's kinda funny how placement is easier in noncompetitive brackets, at the expense of progression being impossible. It's the exact opposite of how I would expect PvP to work.