Is the game stuck in **** mode today?

Options
Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I have tried three times today to win make progress and I get hammered (hurr) every time.

I've just come back from waiting 2 hours for some guys to revive and get some health packs back. Healed up on an easy map with OWB, leapt into the first part of a sub event against Juggernaut, Ragnarock and Hood. I even used boosts to help out since they killed me before. They killed me again. I healed up, but by the time I got Thor's yellow there were 3 greens on the board, so that was a total waste of time. Then juggernaut used headbutt and he was down (ridiculously overpowered move, guys). Team wiped again. In 5 minutes I was wiped twice.

They're not even that high a level, I'm level 85s going against level 120s. It shouldn't be this hard.

I dunno, I just wanted to whine about it. First day off work to get some serious play in and the game just BSes me to death every time I try. I think 20 minutes has been my longest play time today.

Comments

• What team are you using, i'm using daken, hulk and punisher, i know i don't have that many colors to use but daken is buffed and he goes great with hulk who i use to absorb damage, punisher is on the back ready to finish them with his red
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    OBW, Thor and Storm. Had been working until now.
    Alternately I sub Thr or OBW for Magneto Now.

My issue has been bad boards, really. Like a board with a ton of reds so I can't prevent Juggernaut. Or there will be three purples to match...and then no more, so I can't use Magneto's purple ability, or steal with OBW. Or I'll run out of yello matches with 11 in the bank. Or I'll have 10 blues, one short of using Storm's awesome stun move.
  • Try obw/mn mag/storm. Thor's health doesn't help much here, might as well go for broke. If things aren't going your way, or you see jugg with six red, retreat and heal. Retreating and retrying is boring, but probably the biggest way you can shift odds in your favor. And you are killing the hood first, right?
  • Anything with a high level Juggernaut is going to be harsh for players due to his damage output and health, much less when paired with Ragnarok and an AP stealer like The Hood.

Thor is particularly bad against this team due to it being a big steal target for The Hood due to the nature of Thor's skills, so I would suggest to replace Thor with someone else if possible. As with all OBW teams, the main aim is usually to go for purples and blues first. Go after The Hood first and try to deny red and green, with priority on red and preferably by making them unmatchable since The Hood is going to be stealing from your pool if enough of the coloured tiles are on the board. If you must use Thor, make sure you use his red skill as soon as you can to reduce the amount of ap you give them and keep OBW's steal skill active as much as possible, hold it off if there's not a lot to be stolen or if the opponent's skill isn't active or close to active.

And most importantly, once you see Juggernaut with 6 red, retreat immediately, heal up in another match or prologue and try again unless you can take him down before he pulls off that Headbutt. It's better to take that hp hit than to pointlessly struggle on against a one hit KO attack.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    Never held much truck with the retreat-if-you're-losing approach, but thinking about it (you know, for more than 2 seconds) it makes more sense. Easier to heal up in an easy prologue mission than to wait half an hour at least for another med kit.
  • against Juggernaut, Ragnarock and Hood. I even used boosts to help out since they killed me before. They killed me again. I healed up, but by the time I got Thor's yellow there were 3 greens on the board, so that was a total waste of time. Then juggernaut used headbutt and he was down (ridiculously overpowered move, guys). Team wiped again. In 5 minutes I was wiped twice.

Welcome to the club. It's way more "fun" when they are over lvl200, headbutt 5k+ and even just the tiny hood is with 6k+ life. Work that down while he robs you blind. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Never held much truck with the retreat-if-you're-losing approach, but thinking about it (you know, for more than 2 seconds) it makes more sense. Easier to heal up in an easy prologue mission than to wait half an hour at least for another med kit.

Retreat costs 1/3 of character max life that is good price to avoid 3 full downs. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Took the mofos down with Cmags(Magnetic field spam), Psylocke, and Patch. The enemies were 207-208.
  • My issue has been bad boards, really. Like a board with a ton of reds so I can't prevent Juggernaut. Or there will be three purples to match...and then no more, so I can't use Magneto's purple ability, or steal with OBW. Or I'll run out of yello matches with 11 in the bank. Or I'll have 10 blues, one short of using Storm's awesome stun move.
    That's been my issue through this whole tournament. Maybe the adversaries are tough, maybe not. But the board has been kicking my butt all the way through. Even boosts aren't enough to get me through sometimes and I really think I shouldn't have to rely on boosts to play.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    Ugh, finally did that one.

I was *insanely* lucky. They got 6 reds, but retreating would kill two of my guys. So I put Magneto with his 3500 health up front just in case he used headbutt. He did.
    But! This knocked him down to below half health (186 HP, to be precise), so C.Storm's ability kicked in, did 2500ish damage to all of them and wiped out Hood. I got my 10 purples (Why did I think 5/3/5 would be best with Magneto Now?) and got my stun for another 2000 to all enemies.
    Wore them down with a couple of L-shapes, some thorned rose and another stun storm.

Now onto the rest to get my butt kicked by minions no doubt, placing their timer in the one green that's miles away from any other green =P
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    When these Sub events opened last night I had to put the game down until this morning. Moonstone, Rags, and Juggernaut prevented me from opening the Indonesia Sub event three times. I was able to dispatch them today and finally get into Indonesia to be met by Juggernaut, Rags, and Hood at 154. I reached 70K and have no plans to go much further.
  • When these Sub events opened last night I had to put the game down until this morning. Moonstone, Rags, and Juggernaut prevented me from opening the Indonesia Sub event three times. I was able to dispatch them today and finally get into Indonesia to be met by Juggernaut, Rags, and Hood at 154. I reached 70K and have no plans to go much further.

I'm 324 in my main. My plan / hope is to drop below 500, and get three standards....
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    allorin wrote:
    When these Sub events opened last night I had to put the game down until this morning. Moonstone, Rags, and Juggernaut prevented me from opening the Indonesia Sub event three times. I was able to dispatch them today and finally get into Indonesia to be met by Juggernaut, Rags, and Hood at 154. I reached 70K and have no plans to go much further.

I'm 324 in my main. My plan / hope is to drop below 500, and get three standards....

Tedium aside (yeah, I know that's a big factor), is #250 too far away for that 100 HP?

I've sat out for most of this subevent pair (just started sporadically playing an hour ago). I'm at #126, I just need to stay above #250 for the red AWolv, and I just crossed 70000 in main, so I could probably just sit out the entire last day (was at #110ish last night), but I do want to test-drive my new buffed Psylocke for some Iso. icon_razz.gif
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I skipped that fight because it gives less points than the Captain America required one (but has tougher opponents), and I just need to reach 70k. The Captain's mission I was able to win with Modern(s) Storm and Widow. Against similar (120) levels. Granted it's Moonstone instead of Juggernaut but still, at least you can use Magneto instead of Cap to help with more blue. With a little luck you'll get on the Lightning-Sting-Mistress train before they have 6 red or green.
  • I always took my guys to the all goons missions within the PvE events themselves to heal instead of prologue. If you're going to spend some time healing your guys, you might as well do it on stuff that's worth points toward PvE.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    I had a stupid idea that the game was stuck in a specific line of thought, so to speak, so I quit out completely, waited an hour then loaded it. I've been having way more fun since.

Yeah yeah, correlation without causation. But I'm just happy I managed to go an hour without wiping and still having some health packs left.
  • Looks like a lot of us are just trying to pick up Frank at 70k and then bowing out. icon_lol.gif

I've just come to accept that the alpha run for each new event is just an Iso grab. Trying to follow the story or get the best prizes is just a setup for heartbreak.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    I want Black Panther, dammit.
    I can float between 23rd and 55th place on the board. A good run will get me in the low 20s, and I'm happy with that. Can't muster up the other 7000 to get me into the 10th place.
    Currently at 97780 =P
  • Still having no luck progressing in Indonesia today.. And the sub is about to end.. Since I happen to be from Indonesia, it ain't even funny icon_e_sad.gif
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    iPulzzz wrote:
    Since I happen to be from Indonesia, it ain't even funny icon_e_sad.gif

Hahahaha, sorry, but it just became funny for me because of that. icon_e_biggrin.gif

As an aside, I should've used the "wait to start a subevent 4 hours before it closes" strategy since day one. I'm comfortably in #3 in Spain after downright minimal fighting (only the easiest node is down to 1 point). And to think that I'd spent so much more time (and boosts!) in the first subevents trying and usually failing to crack Top 10.

Looks like it's Fresh-Cut-only for me for most of tomorrow. icon_cool.gif