Colorless, Any color and diagonal / multiflip mechanics

MTG_Mage
MTG_Mage Posts: 224 Tile Toppler
I imagine the developers will be adding colorless when when the Zendikar expansion comes out, but I wanted to mention it anyway. I suggest adding the new colorless mana (diamond symbol), but having another type of gem on the board dilutes the chances of making matches for the 5 colors and PW points. So I suggest it interacts differently. Colorless would act like any color mana, but for each colorless in the row or column matched it subtracts 1 from the total (or bonus) mana gained (to a minimum of 1 mana gained if 3 colorless are matched). Alternately it could only subtract from the bonus mana gained.

Any color mana would appear gold and animated with all 5 color swirls and would be less frequent.

Mana bunching is an idea I had if 4 mana of the same color is in a square, they merge into a big 2x2 square of that color. It would still function like 4 individual mana, but when any part of it is matched, all of it would explode. If mana around it causes it shift down in columns then it would break apart into 4 pieces again.

Directional bombs. Special arrows added to mana in horizontal or vertical directions that when captured also take out the row or column the arrow it points.

Multiflip ability. The ability to make 2 flips before any matches activate. This could be if one of the flipping mana has an indicator or something. With this you could get mana that are a few pieces away closer together to make a match.

Diagonal flip. Special pieces that can flip diagonally as well as horizontally and vertically.

Wheel pieces. A cog piece that when touched rotates all 8 mana around it either clockwise or counterclockwise.

Wall squares. Dead spaces that do not blow up but can be flipped like any mana. If 3 are matched, they do blow up like colorless (no bonus, only 1 mana per block destroyed)

Converter squares. Unmoving squares like walls. However when the blocks around it shift due to a match below it, the mana block above it passes through it and comes out the converter color on the other side.

Diagonal matcher. A special tile that if activated would match blocks diagonally instead of horizontal/vertical.

Any thoughts on these ideas? Maybe having all of these at once is too much, so only have them in story mode. What if you can spend PW points to create a special square which would be placed randomly on the board?
I know there are a lot of match 3 type games with tones of wierd mechanics, however I have not played them. Lets do some research and get ideas as a group and post them in this thread and maybe the developers will implement some.

Comments

• MTG_Mage
    MTG_Mage Posts: 224 Tile Toppler
    Bomb squares. They would be colored, colorless, or any color, and when matched they blow up the 8 squares surrounding them.
  • ChrisTot
    ChrisTot Posts: 167
    Just an opinion:

All of these suggestions sound like Candy Crush powerups to me, and they all sound like they make supports even less useful than they already are. Creative ideas for sure, but probably not the direction this game should be headed.
  • ChrisTot wrote:
    Just an opinion:

All of these suggestions sound like Candy Crush powerups to me, and they all sound like they make supports even less useful than they already are. Creative ideas for sure, but probably not the direction this game should be headed.

Yeah
    I also think it would steal a lot of focus from the card part of the game, so it would feel like a normal 3 match game.
  • I imagine having a colorless pw would simply mean that he has an even mana spread, like +1/+1/+1/+1/+1