Pushing Fury musings

lymang
lymang Posts: 97 Match Maker
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So a few weeks ago I got Fury fully covered. He was my first. I know he's not top tier 4 star, but he's MY top tier and I had him at about lvl 180, give or take. I have loved using him.

I then got a reward (I think actually, shockingly, it was a heroic cover turning up a 4 star, I believe that's really, really rare, right?) of another cover of his. I thought... Cool, let me see, I'll push to max level him and use this cover as his first champ level! WOO!

No woo for me. 14 days later, his cover has 13 hours left. Fury is now at lvl 248, so I go through 68 levels since getting the cover, but it just wasn't enough time.

So my thought was... I'll make a very rare exception and buy the remaining ISO (I know, I know, I KNOW already, no need to tell me how stupid buying ISO is) and then the cover won't expire and I can still champ him and use the cover.

Except I can't do it. I just can't justify, $100 for one (1) character to get from level 248 to 268 (and of course, I'd still have to earn the last two levels, AND the championing ISO) when he's not even a top tier character.

This makes me very sad and disappointed.

Let me just say, despite how foolish it is, if the cost of the ISO I needed was between 35-45 bucks, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat without even thinking.

That is an acceptable use of my money for a game that (despite all the issues) I still quite enjoy.

As it is, if I was going to spend 100 bucks it sure as hell would not be on ISO for Fury, I'd buy a 40 pack, and get the CP for my alliance and myself and also the legendary token AND the shot at Quake AND the champ cards AND a shot at the remaining 4/5's I need (not many). Any covers I sell would be fine to put the ISO to Fury, but alas, it looks like Fury gets shut out because the price of ISO is stupid.

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Further highlighting the ISO rewards are fine for the 1-3* sections of the game but ludicrous for 4-5* sections.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I calculated that it takes me about 3 weeks to get 300+k for maxing a 4*.

Which is longer than the time they give us for a 4* cover.

I was in the process of champing rulk and 4* cyc, and between the time I took to champ rulk,I sold about 5 covers of rulk and cyc.

Now I decided to just hoard my LT and CP since there is very little value for me to open those tokens.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    That really sucks tc.

Not too much else to say. Iso is wildly overpriced, and the expiring cover mechanic plus the "rng LTs are the only real way to build your 4*" mechanic do not synergize syngergize well at all (for players).
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    You can actually get about 300k iso in a fortnight but it requires lots of pve grinding for iso, its not worth it because you'll burn out. I figured a comfortable rate of acquiring iso is about enough to max a 4* every month.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    One important thing to remember is that the level cost rises dramatically at the end. Getting everyone to 270 may not be realistic, but getting a fourstar to level 200 or so is not that expensive. At least not comparatively.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    When I see a company overprice resources, it makes me feel like they are trying to make the game less pay to win. There is a pay gate threshold for every person, and D3 has made theirs very high which personally I like, it means the time I spend gaining ISO has a very high value in game.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    You know what's justifiable though some may frown on it? Getting in contact with a group to make a group Stark purchase. Instead of having an issue with buying $100 worth of ISO, turn it into ISO + 140 CP as well? That sounds like a good deal to me.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    One important thing to remember is that the level cost rises dramatically at the end. Getting everyone to 270 may not be realistic, but getting a fourstar to level 200 or so is not that expensive. At least not comparatively.

Yeah that is right, because 170 is the soft cap, but then how do we champion our 4s? We have this new 'cool' mechanic so we don't need to throw our covers for maxed 4s when we get an extra cover, but then it is impossible to max level them, because there is not enough iso for all of them. Great! Fantastic mechanic just a few players can use (for 4s).

I am in the same position than the thread creator, I had to sell some rhulk and 4hor covers because I needed too much iso in too short time to max level them. I thought, ok, I am going to buy some iso, but then you see that 100$ just buys you around 30 levels of a 4 after 200, and you don't do it (well, anybody should do it).

This is literally a scam, it is literally stealing from you. I have even thought about reporting that to Apple or Google, but I guess they wouldn't understand icon_razz.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    lymang wrote:
    So a few weeks ago I got Fury fully covered. He was my first. I know he's not top tier 4 star, but he's MY top tier and I had him at about lvl 180, give or take. I have loved using him.

I then got a reward (I think actually, shockingly, it was a heroic cover turning up a 4 star, I believe that's really, really rare, right?) of another cover of his. I thought... Cool, let me see, I'll push to max level him and use this cover as his first champ level! WOO!

No woo for me. 14 days later, his cover has 13 hours left. Fury is now at lvl 248, so I go through 68 levels since getting the cover, but it just wasn't enough time.

So my thought was... I'll make a very rare exception and buy the remaining ISO (I know, I know, I KNOW already, no need to tell me how stupid buying ISO is) and then the cover won't expire and I can still champ him and use the cover.

Except I can't do it. I just can't justify, $100 for one (1) character to get from level 248 to 268 (and of course, I'd still have to earn the last two levels, AND the championing ISO) when he's not even a top tier character.

This makes me very sad and disappointed.

I had the temptation once to buy the bulk iso, then a wise old man told me, buy HP instead.. Vault 40 packs are 7k HP, you can get 2 , close to 3 from a single stark.. The DDQ Vault contains loads and loads of iso, plus many cover to sell or use on current champs, and loads of health packs to use farming iso in SSim with no worry about not having packs for PVE/PVP events you are going for.

The end result (mind you i had lots of 2* and 3* champs at the time, and bought 2 DDQ 40 packs) was well over what the $100 iso package was, made about 1500HP from the vault pulls back, and still had 6k HP left from the stark, i champed my IMHB (my first 4* champ) and even after 2 hours of Ssim farming for thousands and thousands more iso (love those 2* cover rewards), i still had over 20 health packs left.

Just my experience.