Rage of the Panther enemy AP gain

Pogo
Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
RotP description stated it would grant the enemies Green AP (for Ares), but I timed the attack so that Ares would be killed by it, as he was the only Green user on the enemy team. The enemy team was awarded Purple AP instead (for Moonstone).

I understand it's possible that the power works this way to avoid giving the player an advantage (although it seems like a reasonable strategy to me) since it's supposed to offset the relatively good AOE damage of RotP, and I also understand that it's possible that it's just due to the order in which the game's events and checks occur (though I was fairly certain that in the past it didn't change the AP color after death?).

Whether or not the AP gain subverting death is intentional, the fact that it defies the text description suggests that it needs to be reworded somehow. Yes, it currently states the order of events as damage first, gain second, and it's logical that the gain would occur based on surviving enemies; but quoting a specific color (while generally an extremely useful feature) is pointless if the color doesn't actually match.

The only solution I can think of that covers both sides of this problem is to figure out enemy survival when calculating strongest color. Figure in Strike/Protect tiles, see who will still be standing after the power deals damage, and then declare strongest color. If that's how it's going to be awarded, that's how it should be communicated.

It certainly must be possible; if wave battles switch out enemy sprites to the next wave while the "killing blow" is just starting cascades that haven't downed the last enemy yet, it must be calculating the numbers in advance.

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pogo wrote:
    Whether or not the AP gain subverting death is intentional, the fact that it defies the text description suggests that it needs to be reworded somehow. Yes, it currently states the order of events as damage first, gain second, and it's logical that the gain would occur based on surviving enemies; but quoting a specific color (while generally an extremely useful feature) is pointless if the color doesn't actually match.
    This is not a new problem. You can find threads complaining about "strongest color" disconnects going back many months. But I'm all in favor of more threads complaining about this. Someone in red type might accidentally respond to it.