I don't understand PVP scoring

Options
HaywireII
HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
edited May 2016 in MPQ Tips and Guides
I just recently championed some 3*'s so I joined High Stakes when it started in the hopes that I could maybe get to 800 points at sometime before people started slugging it out for rank. There is now less than 24 hours left in the event and top score in my slice is 701.

I've read posts about people not getting into top 50 with 2000 points. Am I just in the wrong slice (I think I'm in 4, ends at Midnight EST Sunday 3/13).

Also, is there any limit to how many points you can lose while you're not shielded? Can you just be battered all the way back to basically nothing?

Comments

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,274 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The slice does matter and also at the same time it doesnt regarding what matches are available to you and how many points they're worth. The game will look for matches within your shard but since its only 500 players, it also needs to look for matches from other shards as well.

Also, 24 hours before the end of a PVP is not the best time to hunt for big targets. It's more around the 12/8 hour mark, when people are actively trying to climb. The more points they have, the more you'll get relative to your points (you're at 300, theyre at like 750, you'll get points up to a maximum of 75). There's also a treshold that once you reach it, anyone will be able to target you. Before that treshold, not everyone can queue you so you're relatively safe from getting attacked when youre just starting out. We don't know what that treshold is, but you can certainly tell when you reach it because you will get attacked, a lot.

There is no limit to how many points you can lose unshielded. I stayed unshielded at 1000 before, 25 minutes later I was at 450 or something. You won't go back to zero because eventually you'll just be worth so few points that people will not bother anymore.

Hope this helps icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would also speculate that less people than normal are playing it hard; it's a very health pack intensive event with all those boosted Blades around, and a lot of folks will be using them for the Quake release - I say that because my alliance is sitting higher than normal with lower scores than normal for this time in a pvp event.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are two terms. Slice & bracket. There are multiple brackets in a time slice. PvP brackets are 500 players. (Time) Slice is the thing you select when you first join a PvP.

When you say "top score in my slice is 701" that's a bracket not a slice. Either it's very early or you are in a newer player bracket. Matchmaking will determine which players you can queue during your climb. Generally players wirh similar rosters to yours. You will be matched with anyone in the slice regardless of bracket they are in. When and if you hit 1000 points then you can queue anyone above you (regardless of roster) if they are unshielded.

24 hours is kind of a little early to find juicy queues. Try doing your push to 800 at around 14 hours or even less. Just have to balance being able to find good targets against other players hitting you.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly speaking, best way to place in anything (PvP or pve) is to join as late as possible.

Join PvP in last 3 hour and work to get as many points as possible and you'll get t100 every time.

I average 600 points in PvP and using this method I always get t100

Using^^^ this method you also will rarely need to shield.

Note* if you are using this method then progression rewards past 725 will be tough to attain
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly speaking, best way to place in anything (PvP or pve) is to join as late as possible.

Join PvP in last 3 hour and work to get as many points as possible and you'll get t100 every time.

On the other hand, starting earlier lets you earn more ISO. What good are covers if you can't level your characters?
  • HaywireII
    Options
    I wound up hitting 805 with about 6.5 hours left, that left me at #2 and there's one person above me who shielded just shy of 1000. I'm guessing he's going to shield hop to 1k. His roster looks chock full of championed 4*'s so he's probably annoyed that there are so few points kicking around. I got my Blade cover and first ever over 800 score so I hit the shield and called it quits.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Using^^^ this method you also will rarely need to shield.

Note* if you are using this method then progression rewards past 725 will be tough to attain

You also screw yourself out of seasonal progression. This method's good if you're after 3* covers, but awful if you want to actually hit 10,000 progression for the season.
  • HaywireII
    Options
    About how many points do you need in each event to hit 10K at the end of the season?
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    HaywireII wrote:
    About how many points do you need in each event to hit 10K at the end of the season?

I average ~850/event, plus 1200-1500 (after losses) in sim and will hit 10k at the very end of the season.
  • zeeke
    zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You can join late and score ok. You'll need a developed roster though. I'm usually joining with 4-5h left and push to 13 or 1400. It does backfire sometimes and you run out of targets after 1100 or so. Thing is to be above 800 at the T-3h Mark that is when most players do their last jump and shield out. Plus you miss out on the cc action so it's all A teams every fight
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    zeeke wrote:
    You can join late and score ok. You'll need a developed roster though. I'm usually joining with 4-5h left and push to 13 or 1400. It does backfire sometimes and you run out of targets after 1100 or so. Thing is to be above 800 at the T-3h Mark that is when most players do their last jump and shield out. Plus you miss out on the cc action so it's all A teams every fight
    I assume you are doing this with a 4* roster though? And probably in S4, right?
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The advice I have was solid for a young roster.

I use a modified version of this method now..

Join with 6 hours left, climb to 650. Wait till 1 hour left and then climb to 800+

Rarely need to shield and you can still hit 10k for season (with 2k in sim)

A few in my alliance use this method.