PvE to time intensive?

az98
az98 Posts: 30
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Im a relatively new player, been playing about 5 months. I have yet to get a 3* to max level, but very close. With that said I have found that PvE events require way more time commitment to place then the pvp events. Ive found myself playing the pve events 3 times through each map, and only ranking in the 400-500 range. I usually play the PvE events up until I get the 3* cover then call it. It seems to be that in order to place highly or get the top reward I need to grind out many hours which frankly I dont have. The amount of time needed to do well seems much much greater then the PvP events. I routinely place in the top 100 of the pvp events with much less effort and time spent then the pve events.

Why is there such a difficulty/time discrepancy between pvp/pve? pvp just seems much more rewarding for the time invested.

Comments

• TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Because

Time = Money
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    You are correct PvE is way more time intensive. It is the play mode that I like better personally and with recent changes the rewards from the nodes are much better since they took away the 20 iso reward and it is one of the few ways to get guaranteed command points from progression and node rewards. PvE is too time intensive in that you must basically do three clears each sub event at 8 hour intervals and grind in order to place high any more (top 100), which does take significant time in my opinion. Since you are new, you will find PvP easier since you probably are in newer player brackets. PvP isn't as time intensive but you will find that as your success increases you will be placed in harder and harder brackets where it will be difficult to achieve placement rewards. I have a good developed 3* roster and rarely reach 800 pts for the 3* cover anymore because it takes way more effort than it used to, when six months ago I could play less than 10 matches, reach 800 pts and maybe place in top 10 for placement rewards. Now I have to grind to get to 800 and use shields since I see mainly 4* teams past 600 points. I also don't find PvP very entertaining as there is little variety in it, especially at the higher levels you will see the same teams over and over.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah, I don't stress on the PvE placement anymore, it's just not worth it. As long as I can get my 25 command points and feel like I'm SOMEWHAT progressing, I'm good.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I don't stress on the PvE placement anymore, it's just not worth it. As long as I can get my 25 command points and feel like I'm SOMEWHAT progressing, I'm good.

I only ever push myself when it comes to new characters. I like to at least get one cover for them.
    Other than that, yeah, I aim for progression rewards and anything after that's a bonus. I tend to focus more on PvP though since the season rewards are nice, too.

7-day PvE turns me right off.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor

I only ever push myself when it comes to new characters. I like to at least get one cover for them.
    Other than that, yeah, I aim for progression rewards and anything after that's a bonus. I tend to focus more on PvP though since the season rewards are nice, too.

7-day PvE turns me right off.

I actually think I'm going to start liking the 7 day PvE events more because of the vault. Since that means that as long as I place top 300 every day (which is two clears and change even on the veterans brackets, usually), I can get 14 items out of the vault with the daily deal. Which is good since I have a transitioning 3 star roster and still actually want 2 star covers for championing. So I can usually get a bunch of 2 stars for championing, a 3 or two, and if I'm lucky one of the 4 star covers.
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    I tend to play for event points in PVE with the ultimate goal of the 25 commandpoints.png rather than for placement. It's not uncommon for me to place in the top 100 but usually far closer to 100 than to 1.

I went into the current PVE, "Thick as Thieves," when it started with that in mind: be in the top 100 to receive a Quake cover. It isn't going to happen because so many other players want to be in that top 100 and clearly have more time to put into it than I currently do. Placing in the top 100 this time would be too time intensive for me (especially this week and next, as I have a convention coming up).

I do tend to play more PVE than PVP, though, because I'm just not very good at PVP. I love days with Lightning Rounds because even someone like me who isn't greatly talented can earn a lot of iso8.png without a lot of effort.
  • Starsaber
    Starsaber Posts: 206
    I actually think I'm going to start liking the 7 day PvE events more because of the vault. Since that means that as long as I place top 300 every day (which is two clears and change even on the veterans brackets, usually), I can get 14 items out of the vault with the daily deal. Which is good since I have a transitioning 3 star roster and still actually want 2 star covers for championing. So I can usually get a bunch of 2 stars for championing, a 3 or two, and if I'm lucky one of the 4 star covers.

Potentially even 16 (2 from Progression) or more depending on your alliance placement.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    I only care about the CP so as long as I get it from the nodes I'm good. Sometimes I push for the 25 but not always. You can get really good iso but even then it comes in faster from pvp due to the 2* cover prizes you can snag at each win.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    The 3 clears every 8 hours is not that time intensive, its roughly 30 minutes per clear if you take your time. What is time intensive is the grind at the end of every sub which takes about 2 hours if you're quick, and then the next sub starts... icon_neutral.gif

If you just do 3 clears every 8 hours, and clear the essentials at the end, you can place decently depending on the event (top 100 maybe)
    It's still a big time sink compared to PVP.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    You're definitely right.

It sucks that ALL the placement rewards in PvE have to be awarded to grinders. PvE is solved, and as a result, unless you're willing to spend 4 hours a day playing a match-3 game, you're basically out of luck. Kinda sucks the fun right out of it.
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    The 3 clears every 8 hours is not that time intensive, its roughly 30 minutes per clear if you take your time. What is time intensive is the grind at the end of every sub which takes about 2 hours if you're quick, and then the next sub starts... icon_neutral.gif

If you just do 3 clears every 8 hours, and clear the essentials at the end, you can place decently depending on the event (top 100 maybe)

30 minutes to do a clear if you take your time might be realistic if you have a very wide roster of usable characters and a handful of the particularly important ones for winfiniting or whatever. 30 minutes to do a clear is not a reasonable expectation for people who are building their rosters. Even if our scaling is easier, we still have fewer characters to cycle between and less reliable synergy to depend on. Spending 40 or 50 or 60 minutes on a clear, or even not being able to do it at all, is entirely possible.

That's one of the really **** things about the game, that casual play makes the game harder and more time-intensive.
  • St1nkf1st
    St1nkf1st Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    It's not only the time used for clears and grinding, but also the fix schedule you have to play at for a couple of days. I do it sometimes, but often I don't want to affort time and schedule, so I try to sneak into fresh brackets mostly and limit it to 1-2 days. Of course that means that higher progression rewards are out of reach, but I can cope with that.
    There are too many things live has to offer besides PVE icon_e_smile.gif
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor

Even that is strenuous.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2016
    sinnerjfl wrote:

It is not 30 minutes without a strong varied roster and you are not getting top 100 doing that outside of a beginner bracket.

New players don't even have all the required characters for the essentials let alone have them boosted enough that they won't be using 3 health packs every other node towards the first clear of a sub
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    PVE is a slog.

It's flawed in that one can be a veteran competing against people and need 2 hours of clearing (which would break optimal grinding and use healthpacks) and get the same rewards as someone who in a different bracket, got the same placement for way less work.

Competitive pve in separate bubbles where your results are based on how much more time someone else in your bracket has to put into the game is silly.

Just like every facet of this game, pve just tosses in a bunch of variables and limited resources and hopes they stick to a wall.

The reception to non competitive pve's is universally better (besides the **** one that only awarded the **** hulk). Why not just crank those out instead and award more than 1 cover.

I don't care what XediX from the alliance 2MuchTimeOnMyHands can grind out.
    I just want a set goal post and to do the work needed to reach those goals instead of being hampered by someone with lots of time and maxed 4 stars (and even some 5's)
    Surprise we don't all have jobs or lives that can be set on a 24 hour, every 8 hour schedule.

It's a silly system, but that's why I don't participate in it.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's quite a bad system, but it's still good for ISO.
    I think a lot of people forget or don't realize how much ISO you can get from just gathering rewards from all the nodes in every sub.
    If you can just play it casually and try to ignore the leaderboard it can be a lot more relaxing.
    That said it's absolutely too intensive.

You have to schedule your life around the game to optimally score to get the rewards, this is why I kind of miss and prefer the old rubberbanding. That was a completely broken system but it did negate the rigid schedule somewhat. You still had to be there at specific times, but not so much!
    More non-competitive PvE's would definitely be welcome or something that didn't depend on who has more time than someone else.
    Where are all the skill competitions?
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    GurlBYE wrote:
    PVE is a slog.

I don't care what XediX from the alliance 2MuchTimeOnMyHands can grind out.
    I just want a set goal post and to do the work needed to reach those goals instead of being hampered by someone with lots of time and maxed 4 stars (and even some 5's)

Which they have. In progression rewards. If you want to argue that the progression rewards aren't good enough, be my guest. I would actually agree with you, too. The fact that we're at a 4 star end-game at best (and probably honestly a 5 star endgame) means that there needs to be a 4 star progression reward in there somewhere, and not just a legendary token at the end of the climb.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    GurlBYE wrote:
    sinnerjfl wrote:

It is not 30 minutes without a strong varied roster and you are not getting top 100 doing that outside of a beginner bracket.

New players don't even have all the required characters for the essentials let alone have them boosted enough that they won't be using 3 health packs every other node towards the first clear of a sub

I'm not gonna argue with you about your experience, which I have no reason to doubt, but not is it correct to say that's flat-out not true. I'm grinding hard for the new char now, but typically I play three clears and maybe a final tap of some big nodes. I use one, maybe two teams depending on who's boosted and what enemies I'm facing; I probably SHOULD vary my uses to maximize puzzling and conserve health packs, but usually I just brute force everything with my go-to guys. Takes me about a half hour (if it's not Florida), and that gets me at least t100, and usually t50.

Point is, saying "it's not" isn't any more helpful than saying "it is." That strategy seems to work for many. Good point on essentials, but even there, I usually just hit other nodes a second time.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    The sad truth is that if you want to do well in any aspect of the game without spending le big bucks you need to treat it like another job.

The other even sadder truth is that no matter how much time you put into it, there's a multitude of other people who are willing to put in more.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    The issue for me with pve is not so much that it is too time intensive, the problem is more that it is too inflexible with its demands on your time, to allow more people to fit in more nodes on a limited schedule they should pay the full amount for the first x amount of clears so it wouldn't matter when people did them during the 24 hours.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    That's true. I wouldn't mind PvE nearly as much if I could just sit down and grind out enough for progression in one sitting, even if it took a fair amount of time. But having to plan my life around a match-3 game is just something I'm not going to do.