Everybody wants to be Magneto

Options
bbf2
bbf2 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I don't know if anyone pays attention to the flavor text or the story, but has anyone noticed that there are like three or four different nodes in various PVEs where you fight Magneto but the "plot" specifies that it's someone else impersonating him? (A Skrull or Mystique or a demon or something)

I just thought it was funny. I understand using the skrull/imposter stuff as a storyline justification for mixing up who you fight against sometimes, but you'd think they would use that to justify why you're fighting heroes, why is it always Magneto? Especially since he's already a villain. I guess everybody wants to be him.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bbf2 wrote:
    I don't know if anyone pays attention to the flavor text or the story, but has anyone noticed that there are like three or four different nodes in various PVEs where you fight Magneto but the "plot" specifies that it's someone else impersonating him? (A Skrull or Mystique or a demon or something)

I just thought it was funny. I understand using the skrull/imposter stuff as a storyline justification for mixing up who you fight against sometimes, but you'd think they would use that to justify why you're fighting heroes, why is it always Magneto? Especially since he's already a villain. I guess everybody wants to be him.
    Story-wise, Magneto Changes sides in ISO-8 Brotherhood. The Skrull in Thick As Thieves is probably to explain why Magneto is in a prison...
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    To be honest, the concept of "people impersonating Magneto" has a strong basis in canon - it's been used several times to justify why certain writers have used him as if he was the megalomaniac "evil villain" from the Silver Age comics, despite his true morally-grey nature which has been built up over many years. Basically, if he's there causing chaos and being evil for its own sake, it's probably somebody impersonating him.

As an aside, I've been mentally tabulating the variances in the MPQ storyline from the Dark Reign comics it's based on. One of the major deviations is that Magneto was apparently a member of Osborn's cabal at one point, which never happened in the comics. But then that goes with the game's use of Juggernaut, Yelena and Ragnarok as stand-in Dark Avengers - in the comics, they weren't part of the team (Juggernaut barely features in Dark Reign, Yelena leads the Thunderbolts, and Ragnarok's insane and kept locked in the basement of Camp Hammond).

Everyone's characterisations are wildly off, too - as if the story was written by someone who'd never read Dark Reign. Daken's actually an erudite manipulator (albeit with a hot temper), not a grunting brute; Venom doesn't call people "meat" and talks like a normal person; Ares actually has dialogue...
  • bbf2
    Options
    CNash wrote:
    Ares actually has dialogue...

Hey, he now has dialogue in MPQ too! In "Deadpool vs. MPQ," Ares corrects Deadpool and says "I'm Greek."

I'm pretty sure that's his only line of dialogue.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    CNash wrote:
    As an aside, I've been mentally tabulating the variances in the MPQ storyline from the Dark Reign comics it's based on. One of the major deviations is that Magneto was apparently a member of Osborn's cabal at one point, which never happened in the comics. But then that goes with the game's use of Juggernaut, Yelena and Ragnarok as stand-in Dark Avengers - in the comics, they weren't part of the team (Juggernaut barely features in Dark Reign, Yelena leads the Thunderbolts, and Ragnarok's insane and kept locked in the basement of Camp Hammond).
    It wasn't Yelena, really - it was Natasha Romanoff posing as Yelena Belova. That's definitely not the case in the game though since you can play Yelena and Natasha on the same team.
    CNash wrote:
    Everyone's characterisations are wildly off, too - as if the story was written by someone who'd never read Dark Reign. Daken's actually an erudite manipulator (albeit with a hot temper), not a grunting brute; Venom doesn't call people "meat" and talks like a normal person; Ares actually has dialogue...
    Like it or not, Marvel supposedly OKed the dialogue. Though maybe the vetting was done by someone who also hadn't read Dark Reign...
  • Quebbster
    Options
    bbf2 wrote:
    CNash wrote:
    Ares actually has dialogue...

Hey, he now has dialogue in MPQ too! In "Deadpool vs. MPQ," Ares corrects Deadpool and says "I'm Greek."

I'm pretty sure that's his only line of dialogue.
    No, he got a line in Venom Bomb too, Before Miles Morales asks if he is called "Axe-man" and Sentry "Male Model-Man".
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think the reason Ares has no dialogue is that they never got around to releasing the Dark Reign storyline where he's supposed to be introduced. In the comics, he was in the Dark Avengers from the beginning, but I guess in MPQ it's supposed to be different.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mystique poses as Iron Man, not Magneto.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    mpqr7 wrote:
    She poses as Magneto in one of the Heroic modes - Venom, I Think. She also poses as Loki and Cyclops in that one, so I sometimes wonder just exactly what she can do when shape shifted...
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 701 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    CNash wrote:
    It wasn't Yelena, really - it was Natasha Romanoff posing as Yelena Belova. That's definitely not the case in the game though since you can play Yelena and Natasha on the same team.
    CNash wrote:
    Like it or not, Marvel supposedly OKed the dialogue. Though maybe the vetting was done by someone who also hadn't read Dark Reign...

Or any Marvel Comics, for that matter....
  • bbf2
    Options
    mpqr7 wrote:

I remember Mystique impersonating Iron Man during the "Meet Rocket and Groot" PVE. I don't remember exactly where it happened, but there is definitely a series of nodes where you fight against Magneto, and then Cyclops, and then Mystique herself and it says "Oh, turns out that Mystique has been here the entire time and she was the one impersonating Cyclops and Magneto"
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Did anyone else read the thread title to the tune of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World?"
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why Everyone wants to be Magneto...
    JYPjCFX.jpg
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think the reason Ares has no dialogue is that they never got around to releasing the Dark Reign storyline where he's supposed to be introduced. In the comics, he was in the Dark Avengers from the beginning, but I guess in MPQ it's supposed to be different.

He and Sentry are the only members of the Dark Avengers who were previously part of the Mighty Avengers line-up, so there was no real need to "introduce" him. Ares doesn't really care who he fights for as long as he gets to fight.

I'd love a focus story for Ares. Perhaps they could adapt the "Ultimo" story arc from War Machine's 2009 series - it would ostensibly be an excuse to release War Machine into MPQ, but Ares features heavily in that story too.