Taco Game Theory (Specific Question)

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
As I have mentioned in other threads, my current 4* roster has a glaring weakness: I do not have any of the premier purple/green 4*s in a useful state. The closest I have is JG. After a good classic LT pull last night from my ISO-8 Brotherhood CP, my JG is now 2/2/4.

Basic Question:

--My savory taco vault currently contains a green cover for her (and a mostly useless flaptain yellow).
--I have 230 tacos saved

Should I use my tokens to chase down that 5th Green cover?

Additional considerations:

--JG will NOT be the 1k PVP cover until sometime in April
--JG is probably the weakest of the purple/green 4*s
--My Iceman is only 1/2/1
--Iceman will be in the Savory vault in about a week, so I could use the tokens for him instead.

Comments

• grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Your Iceman is so far from being useful, that getting 1 more cover won't help. a 9 cover JG is much better than a 5 cover Iceman. If you want to use all your tokens, use it now or if you have a reasonable rhulk, hold off for that one.
  • Vhailorx
    Rulk is also at 1/2/1, so no different from Iceman.

Getting one of those three to 13 covers would probably be the second most significant improvement I could make to my roster (right after getting 5+ more OML covers).
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    grunth13 wrote:
    Your Iceman is so far from being useful, that getting 1 more cover won't help. a 9 cover JG is much better than a 5 cover Iceman. If you want to use all your tokens, use it now or if you have a reasonable rhulk, hold off for that one.

1 cover on either of them is not going to make a huge difference so I would advise you to continue hoarding and playing.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2016
    230 out of 300 seems good chances, and the other chars are quite behind; I would go for the JG cover this week.

But then again see what they posted right behind me, 2/2/5 char is harder to fill... Sorry!
  • mutimloh
    mutimloh Posts: 25
    If it was purple or blue, I would've said go for it, but having 5 in a colour (assuming you got it), lowers your odds even more of pulling a useful JG. I don't know the colour being awarded in the next PVP, but I'd check that too if you decide to go for it.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    JG purple was 10/25/2015
    JG green was 12/13/2015
    JG blue was 2/12/2016

Good luck with your decision!
  • Vhailorx
    ugh, much as I would love to go all spendthrift and binge on tacos until I got that JG cover, I think the smart play probably is sitting pat and continuing to hoard.

my 2/2/4 JG should be enough to win her 4* ddq node, and the 5th green will slightly increase the odds of a useless LT pull without actually making her usable in PVP.

It says something damning about the design of this game, and the general nature of gambling/RNG rewards, that my best play is not use my resources.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Since no one gave you the odds...

You would have just under a 77% chance of pulling that JG cover with 230 tokens. For 1 cover, that's a bit too low for my taste.

You may also want to consider championing Beast if you haven't already, as he yields (eventually) JG covers.
  • Vhailorx
    Since no one gave you the odds...

You would have just under a 77% chance of pulling that JG cover with 230 tokens. For 1 cover, that's a bit too low for my taste.

You may also want to consider championing Beast if you haven't already, as he yields (eventually) JG covers.

that fact is the sole reason I spent iso champing beast (he was at lvl 120 on champion day). Same for Quicksilver (Iceman).
  • If it was her purpleflag.png I would say yes, as she turns into a PvE goddess with 4 purple, but not worth it to take her to 2/2/5
  • DAC169
    DAC169 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    I'm currently in a similar dilemma: my JG is 3/3/3 level 127 (was her max before Championing came around) and I have 223 (231 by time for her Clash) tokens to try to get her greenflag.png from the vault. My Ice man is 2/0/1 & my Rulk is 3/2/1, so neither of them are anywhere near useable.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    DAC169 wrote:
    I'm currently in a similar dilemma: my JG is 3/3/3 level 127 (was her max before Championing came around) and I have 223 (231 by time for her Clash) tokens to try to get her greenflag.png from the vault. My Ice man is 2/0/1 & my Rulk is 3/2/1, so neither of them are anywhere near useable.

You have slightly worse than a 1/4 chance to not get the cover. Is that acceptable to you? The closer you get to 300 tokens, the more rapidly your odds of getting the one cover you want increase.

Who is your second cover? If it's one of the better 4*s, it could be worthwhile to try for it. If there are 2 desirable outcomes, you have a 93% chance of getting at least 1 of them with 223 tokens.
  • Vhailorx
    DAC169 wrote:

You have slightly worse than a 1/4 chance to not get the cover. Is that acceptable to you? The closer you get to 300 tokens, the more rapidly your odds of getting the one cover you want increase.

Who is your second cover? If it's one of the better 4*s, it could be worthwhile to try for it. If there are 2 desirable outcomes, you have a 93% chance of getting at least 1 of them with 223 tokens.

this is an easy to overlook factor. My second 4* cover is a flaptain yellow. icon_e_sad.gif It's not much more valuable to me than a 2* cover. but if it were an Iceman or Rulk cover? I would probably have started opening tacos before making the original post above.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't disagree with the sentiment here that one extra green cover won't make her instantly usable and might hurt your LT pulls down the line. I do, however disagree with the thought that she is the weakest of the purple/green 4* users (assuming amongst her, rulk, iceman). I don't have an iceman useable quite yet, but JG to me is better than rulk ultimately because of how insanely good she is in PVE. You don't have to worry about defense and can bring SW with you, and it makes most pve nodes very simple (especially goons).

Maybe a JG purple will show up in your vault as the 2nd 4* cover sometime soon and you won't have to wait for her DDQ week to come around again. Hope it works out for you, she's great!
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah keep hoarding until there's a vault with at least 2 things you want. Remember that when a new vault rotates in, you can shuffle it by restarting the app as long as you don't open a token or play a match. The fact that it is the Green cover what you'd get from this vault is not ideal, as getting 5 covers of a power while the others are poorly covered is opening the door to a rage aneurysm if the next time you randomly open a JG it's a green cover.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    of course, there's always the likelihood of getting a vault where you have a desired LT and 2 desired covers and I undesired cover. play hard, do the dailies, pull 20/80 and get the 1 undesired cover and none of the 3 you want. my brotherhood vault had LT/xpool/xpool/MFer and what do I pull after 20 tokens....MFer. blegh.
  • DAC169
    DAC169 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    DAC169 wrote:

Not at home right now, so I can't check (being a Steam player), but I'm pretty sure it was a Ghost Rider cover. Only have 1 or 2 covers of him (won 1 when introduced & I think I've gotten 1 from a token). Honestly not too excited about him.
  • I'd say hold off, and consider doing PVE grinding instead.

You had to wait around a year to get enough tokens to have a chance at that one green cover.

Or, you can grind 3 PVE events, and get enough CP to buy that one cover instead.

I feel like that'd be a better all in investment, until you get to 300 tacos and can cherry pick which two 4*s you want.