Stupid Question of the Day

Options
I don't join tournaments now until the last 6/7 hours left, but I've just been wondering what would happen if you join in the final 1 hour? In my mind that will leave you with loads of juicy points to collect and maybe a smaller bracket. But would that be the case or has anybody tried it before? I'm tempted to give it a go tonight, but i want those C̶a̶p̶t̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶A̶m̶e̶r̶i̶c̶a̶ Psylocke covers.

Comments

• Depends on your luck in terms of the bracket you fall into. If you get into a bracket with next to no-one in, it should be a relative cruise to the top prizes. I late joined one a few weeks ago, and must have been one of the last to fill a 500. Dannyshan was well out in front, think I ground up to top 15 but it was a hard slog!

On the plus side, you don't really need to waste HP on shields with the late join method.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    Depends on your luck in terms of the bracket you fall into. If you get into a bracket with next to no-one in, it should be a relative cruise to the top prizes. I late joined one a few weeks ago, and must have been one of the last to fill a 500. Dannyshan was well out in front, think I ground up to top 15 but it was a hard slog!

On the plus side, you don't really need to waste HP on shields with the late join method.
    Think i will give it a go tonight just to see what happens. How late did you join? Is an hour pushing it, maybe go for 2 hours?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    From looking at historicals, most of the Tournaments end up seeing this and it almost never works out for those involved. We tend to get about 65% of our users joining in the first 24 hours of any Tourney/Event, ~15-25% for the next bit, then the rest joining with less than 8 hours left, with most of *those* concentrated in the last couple hours. So statistically, you're likely to run right into that last minute rush of players and end up with a full bracket of players that are doing the same thing you are.
  • IceIX wrote:
    From looking at historicals, most of the Tournaments end up seeing this and it almost never works out for those involved. We tend to get about 65% of our users joining in the first 24 hours of any Tourney/Event, ~15-25% for the next bit, then the rest joining with less than 8 hours left, with most of *those* concentrated in the last couple hours. So statistically, you're likely to run right into that last minute rush of players and end up with a full bracket of players that are doing the same thing you are.

Darn it, way to kill my dream *sulks away*
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I asked this in the brotherhood thread earlier today. I didn't think it needed a whole topic dedicated to it though. If you wait around you are losing THOUSANDS of points, iso, and boost, for **** event covers that probably won't get you anything further than a **** 2*.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    Depends on your luck in terms of the bracket you fall into. If you get into a bracket with next to no-one in, it should be a relative cruise to the top prizes. I late joined one a few weeks ago, and must have been one of the last to fill a 500. Dannyshan was well out in front, think I ground up to top 15 but it was a hard slog!

Think i will give it a go tonight just to see what happens. How late did you join? Is an hour pushing it, maybe go for 2 hours?

An hour and a half - basically turned it into a Lightning Round... except most the field had a considerable head start lol
  • Too many killers in the last 3 hours, I'm looking at you DannyShan.
  • Unity wrote:
    I asked this in the brotherhood thread earlier today. I didn't think it needed a whole topic dedicated to it though. If you wait around you are losing THOUSANDS of points, iso, and boost, for **** event covers that probably won't get you anything further than a **** 2*.

Sorry Unity, but i dont read every post by every user every day icon_e_smile.gif
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    I don't join tournaments now until the last 6/7 hours left, but I've just been wondering what would happen if you join in the final 1 hour? In my mind that will leave you with loads of juicy points to collect and maybe a smaller bracket. But would that be the case or has anybody tried it before? I'm tempted to give it a go tonight, but i want those C̶a̶p̶t̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶A̶m̶e̶r̶i̶c̶a̶ Psylocke covers.

The last few I have entered with 45 minutes to go an finished top 25 each time.
  • I don't join tournaments now until the last 6/7 hours left, but I've just been wondering what would happen if you join in the final 1 hour? In my mind that will leave you with loads of juicy points to collect and maybe a smaller bracket. But would that be the case or has anybody tried it before? I'm tempted to give it a go tonight, but i want those C̶a̶p̶t̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶A̶m̶e̶r̶i̶c̶a̶ Psylocke covers.

In the game do you go by Bacon P4nts or something like that with a nbr 4 in your name cause i come across that name every pvp i enter lol
  • B4con Magic, right? That's a seed team. I SO want to get him and WannaBSkrull in our alliance!
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    dlaw008 wrote:
    B4con Magic, right? That's a seed team. I SO want to get him and WannaBSkrull in our alliance!
    Funny you should say that. This was floating around the office for a bit.
    http://imgur.com/HH2cVvG
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    I'm curious, for those who try to blitz to the top at the end: do you rely on a good healer (either in PvP or in Prologue healing matches) to sustain that run, or are health packs enough to keep you afloat?
    IceIX wrote:

Good to know.

I used to join right at the beginning, but now join about 18-24 hours in. I'm not sure if it's that shift and/or more favorable MMR, but I seem to be getting generally higher placements with fewer/easier fights. My thinking is that more serious players will either jump in during the first few hours (give some leeway to account for time zone differences) or strategically blitz the end, while more casual players will drift in over the course of the first day.

P.S. - I've never seen HAHAHAfight before. With that name, I'd be tempted to just keep him in a node and never fight him.
  • dlaw008 wrote:
    B4con Magic, right? That's a seed team. I SO want to get him and WannaBSkrull in our alliance!

Aha yeah that's it icon_e_smile.gif
  • I think you are on to something, HailMary. I used to do better when I waited. Now I just join immediately because I have no self control. And I'm okay with that. I think I had WalkYourPath in my last two brackets. Oy.

By the way, kind of a bummer that TestAlliance got all the good members but I got stuck with you guys in DjangoUnbuffed. Hard to explain how they could get one more member than anybody else, but still can't find room for HipDude Glasses. Guess he's not as hip as he thought.
  • Unity wrote:

Sorry Unity, but i dont read every post by every user every day icon_e_smile.gif

Lmfao, I do. I find the forums more intresting than the game . . . <.< . . >.> . . . icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options

In the game do you go by Bacon P4nts or something like that with a nbr 4 in your name cause i come across that name every pvp i enter lol

My name on here is my name in the game. No numbers replacing letters.
  • Unity wrote:
    Unity wrote:

Lmfao, I do. I find the forums more intresting than the game . . . <.< . . >.> . . . icon_e_biggrin.gif
    yeah i suppose that can be true when certain events last for 10 bloody days, nice to come here and stalk the forums icon_e_smile.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Ladder wrote:

With the new bracketing system, I don't think I can use my old trick. Now I join events randomly.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Holy necro batman!

The sharding/death brackets have also evened the late join bonus out, as you can get placed into a bracket that is aging yet still open, which totally kills you if the top is already at 1k.