I thought all pve events were now vaults

Options
LegendReborn
LegendReborn Posts: 301
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Pretty straight forward thread. I had thought they announced all pve events were going to have vaults rather than the regular token. However, Thick as Thieves isn't a vault. Was this a mistake or intentional?

Comments

• smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    All except new character releases.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40129
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, they don't want to translate the 0,2% draw rate for Quake into a vault... better to just say you have a chance to get her. Which you do.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    And the moneh

For a vault, presumably it'd consist of 80 rewards, one of which would be Quake. A 40x daily deal would cost 9800 HP; 19600 HP in total to clean out the vault over two days. And you'd be guaranteed at least one Quake cover and one LT

For non-vault, a 40x daily deal is 15800 HP. For 80 characters, that's 31600 HP. And even then you're not guaranteed a Quake cover; just two LTs

It's all about the money, money, money
    It would need to be a 500 item vault with a single Quake cover in there to get the 0,2% draw rate. And 7 Professor X, 28 Black Panther, and 63 OBW covers Before randomizing Everything else.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The 4* progression is way too fast. They need to slow us down. Can't risk having a vault where people could spend $200 for 3 covers.
  • LegendReborn
    Options
    I'm skeptical of regular packs truly encouraging more spending because it massively discourages smaller spending. Vaults have guaranteed upper limits to pulling a character. They could put a single daisy per vault and you'd get big whales spending a bit less on average but you'd also get a lot more smaller paying players spending so I don't think it's as clear cut as people say.

Regardless, thanks for answering my question everyone.
  • simonsez
    Options
    I'm skeptical of regular packs truly encouraging more spending because it massively discourages smaller spending. Vaults have guaranteed upper limits to pulling a character. They could put a single daisy per vault and you'd get big whales spending a bit less on average but you'd also get a lot more smaller paying players spending so I don't think it's as clear cut as people say.
    Well, here's the thing: we don't have to hypothesize what people are doing. We just need to look at what the devs decided to do (all vaults) to conclude that people spend more money on vaults.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Well, here's the thing: we don't have to hypothesize what people are doing. We just need to look at what the devs decided to do (all vaults) to conclude that people spend more money on vaults.
    ..except on new character releases, apparently.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    And the moneh

For a vault, presumably it'd consist of 80 rewards, one of which would be Quake. A 40x daily deal would cost 9800 HP; 19600 HP in total to clean out the vault over two days. And you'd be guaranteed at least one Quake cover and one LT

For non-vault, a 40x daily deal is 15800 HP. For 80 characters, that's 31600 HP. And even then you're not guaranteed a Quake cover; just two LTs

It's all about the money, money, money

Actually, once you've purchased a 40-cover from a vault, that option disappears, so you cannot clear out a 80-item vault with two 40's. It would be a 40 + four 10's.
  • LegendReborn
    Options
    That's circular logic to argue that the Devs would always choose the best option for making money and since it isn't chosen it can't be the best option. No one can disprove the argument because there's no proof behind it. We know that bad decisions have been made and it's likely they will continue to be made, albeit at a lower rate because it's hard to top some of the stuff in the past (looking at you anniversary). I think pointing to the cost of buying iso in the game for money is a good example of a decision that undoubtedly leads to less money being spent. I'm not saying they should make it rain iso if you want to splurge but you'd have to be on something real good to believe that they couldn't get more money from iso sales with some easy tweaks that wouldn't sky rocket progression either.
  • simonsez
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    ..except on new character releases, apparently.
    See my prior post...
  • simonsez
    Options
    That's circular logic to argue that the Devs would always choose the best option for making money and since it isn't chosen it can't be the best option. No one can disprove the argument because there's no proof behind it. We know that bad decisions have been made and it's likely they will continue to be made, albeit at a lower rate because it's hard to top some of the stuff in the past (looking at you anniversary).
    Of course they make bad decisions regarding gameplay. Those are subjective decisions. But when they run seasons worth of A/B testing on vaults vs. non-vaults, even they have the capability of measuring one dollar figure versus the other and concluding which is larger. That's not circular logic; it's assuming they have 1st grade math skills.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    That's not circular logic; it's assuming they have 1st grade math skills.

Ahh... let's not be hasty. Remember when Magneto gave you infinite turns?
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The difference being your odds reset with each token, in a vault they go up. Even if they didn't offer a quake cover the vault would still be preferable.