Effort and prize disconnect

Spiritclaw
Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
I noticed something somewhat irritating in last seasons rewards.

I played in most or all pvp tournaments last season. My daughter didn't bother with pvp almost all season, but played in the last tournament. Her overall season score was less than 10% of my own. However, her placement in her bracket was much higher. While I received 2 heroic tokens, she received 2 heroic ten packs.

I'm not upset that she got the better prize -- I noticed the same unfairness when I've lucked out in a similar way -- but it's not good for the game to give better prizes for not playing. It's counter-intuitive, encourages cherry-picking, and discourages play until near the end of the event in question.

There are several ways that you could fix this:

1) When a bracket is full, split the existing bracket into evens and odds rather than creating a new empty bracket. Or,
2) Award prizes based on percentile rank rather than shear numbers. (I.E. top 10% of participants get prize A, so if you have a bracket of 500 the top 50 get it, if you have a bracket of 20 then only the top 2.) If you did this, you might also want to increase (or eliminate) maximum bracket size. Or,
3) Move more of the worthwhile prizes into progression rewards instead of rank rewards.

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    That bothers me as well. People with worse rosters than mine get much higher placement.

Even I myself once made top 25 in pvp (almost actually top 10), but now that my roster is much better, I can only hit top 100. It's very frustrating. Almost makes me want to take some time off so that I'll be placed back in n00b brackets and win better prizes when I return.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I came second in my very first balance of power (just over a year ago) after about a month of playing. I clutched those 3 *** Steve covers so hard...
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm all for 2 and/or 3. I'd love a global leaderboard and hand out some reduced placement rewards based on percentiles with more of those rewards being added to progression. the death bracket and lazy bracket goes away. only thing there is if you find yourself falling short, there isn't any other option to better your position other than just playing more or more optimally. what I like to do is catch a fresh slice on day 1 6-12 hours after the event starts. that seems to be a solid way to still get a high score. soar past progression. but not have to kill yourself to make t10/20/50. that would kinda squash that plan, but I'd still be interested.