What to do when all PVP opponents are worth 2 - 10 points?

jobob
jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So this has happened to me a few times recently, and it is very frustrating. I would really like some advice on how to break this annoying cycle...

Sometimes I can keep finding opponents for 40 - 70 points easily even at ~1400 points. And sometimes I will get in that 1100 - 1200 range and for HOURS on end, I can only find opponents worth single-digit points. Yesterday in the WoP, I tried looking 8 hours, 5 hours, 3 hours, and 1.5 hours before the end of the event and it was the same thing... I spent a TON of ISO skipping, and never saw anyone worth more than 14 points, and most opponents were less than 10.

And it's not like I'm in 1st place by 1,000 points here... no, I'm hanging around the 15 - 20 ballpark, and I can even see there are people in my bracket who aren't shielded, but no matter how many times I skip I can't seem to find them. In fact, sometimes I will get into cycles where it's the same 3 or 4 worthless (from a point perspective) over and over and over.

I can field a good team and have no problem hitting 1300 when I can find opponents... but when the best you can do is 8 or 9 points per fight... and then someone hits you for -65 or -70... well, it's pretty tough to climb at all.

Comments

• westnyy2
    westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Two options really.

1. Shield and scroll around the major hour marks (3hr and 8 hr) looking for better queues. Otherwise you are just wasting precious iso. If you see people ahead of you un# you should be able to queue them unless you are below 1k and out of global MMR.

2. Join a shield check room to know when larger targets are breaking and when they shield. You may be able to ride a CC train as well if you are lucky.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Sometimes it helps to force close the app and let the computer find you new targets. A lot of times, its because of the mmr, you can only find people with similar rosters. Its very annoying, its one of the reasons why you keep seeing "this game punishes you for advancing" topics every so often.
  • jobob
    grunth13 wrote:
    Sometimes it helps to force close the app and let the computer find you new targets. A lot of times, its because of the mmr, you can only find people with similar rosters. Its very annoying, its one of the reasons why you keep seeing "this game punishes you for advancing" topics every so often.
    Okay, I will try the force close... hopefully that works.

When the game looks for "similar" rosters... does it look at your whole roster, or your current defensive team for the event?
  • jobob
    westnyy2 wrote:
    Two options really.

1. Shield and scroll around the major hour marks (3hr and 8 hr) looking for better queues. Otherwise you are just wasting precious iso. If you see people ahead of you un# you should be able to queue them unless you are below 1k and out of global MMR.

2. Join a shield check room to know when larger targets are breaking and when they shield. You may be able to ride a CC train as well if you are lucky.
    Thanks for the response...

1. I checked at multiple intervals, including the 8 hr and 3 hr mark... no luck. And still couldn't get the guy ahead of me when he was unshielded.

2. I don't know how to join a Shield Check room... is this a LINE thing? I have never used the app, so, if it is... how do I find the Shield Check room? Do I search within the app or is it a room that's always open? Sorry, total n00b on this particular (and ridiculously outside of the game itself and should be totally unnecessary) part of the game.
  • Check rosters of people that are unshielded. If they have high level 5* characters and you don't, you still probably won't be able to queue them.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    just keep checking. was very hard last night to find targets because there was much less volume of players playing to higher points. I eventually saw my bracket leader unshielded and I cycled and finally found him. that one was huge because it was a 70 pt-er. that 25cp from last night cost a lot of iso. a good line bc would make things slightly easier in-season, but my guess is a ton easier offseason.

offseason is always hard because you don't have all the big boys doing their 2K plus stuff. so points don't trickle down near as much.