breakeven point for LTs now that oml is out?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
OML is such a beast that I think it was worth risking useless 4* pulls for a shot at him. So I will keep buying classic tokens as soon as I have the cp, risks be damned. But oml is out of LTs now, so the calculus has changed for them.

I wonder what the tipping point is. How many potential 4* pulls have to be present before it's better to stockpile LTs? Or is it ever worth stockpiling since the 5* pool is just likely to get more dilute?

Personally, I have 5 Phoenix covers, so any more would have a high marginal value. But I have no gg or bss covers. So pulling either of them would be mostly useless (in the short and mid term).

Additionally, of the 30-odd 4*s, only 7 or so have a high marginal value for me: 3 are championed, and I also need jg, iceman, rulk, and 4* cyc covers badly (since they are top tier and all between 4 and 7 covers). Other than those seven, the other 4* options are effectively useless to me. Either they are truly useless (a 14th cover for someone I will never have the iso to champ), or of minimal value (the 11th cover for a weak 4* who can already beat their ddq node), or only of value to my October 2016 self (the 3rd cover for a new 4* that probably won't be usable until the third anniversary event).

I am sure that there are many vets in my general position. What strategies have you adopted? Are you opening regular LTs, or saving them until you have more 4* champs?

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Edit: nevermind, I just figured out the answer to my own question. I haz the dumb.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

Yep.

Hmmm, was hoping to spark a bit more conversation that 'yep'!

For me, standard LTs offer 7 truly useful 4*s out of 28 (with spider-gwen) and 1/3 5*s. They are feeling more than a little frustrating (just bashing my head against and rng wall). I know from reading this forum that others are frustrated with rng-based progress. Did they start feeling the frustration around the same value of return (~25% probability if a good outcome from any given LT)? Earlier? Later?

Aeth has declared in sig that he (or she) hasn't opened any LTs since Dec. 2015. Aren't you around where I am aeth? I think you have more 3* champs than me, and perhaps a slightly better 4* bench.
  • I've started opening all LTs. Since OML is clearly the most dominant 5*, all CP should be spent on classic LTs before his draw rate is diluted. Since they changed the reward structure to offer CP instead of Latest LTs the Latest LT earn rate is incredibly low - so low that trying to save up the literally hundreds of LTs that it would take to max out some new OP 5* that is only in Latest tokens is just not feasible (would take years). I have 7 champed 4*s (all what I would consider top-tier or high mid-tier), and so my Latest tokens are most useful being opened for champ levels/rewards. I think once you are satisfied with your 4* champs (my recommendation would be a minimum of IMHB, Iceman, Rulk, JG, and Cyc) - you start opening your LTs as soon as you get them. Are you really going to be that disappointed if you have to sell off a 14th cover for Flaptain or Fury?
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Short answer: I am hoarding my CP and LT until I champ more 4*.

Long answer: I only started hoarding in mid last season. As you mentioned, I considered the expected utility of the pulls. Before I started hoarding I had 8 champ 4* (JG, thora, KP, Xfw, fury, thing, xdp and imhb).

Another thing I considered is the impact a lucky 5* pull will make to my roster. Before I got my first yellow for OML, my oml was lackluster. But after getting it to 1/1/5, a whole new world opened up for me in pvp. ( I said for those who are missing one final color for oml, they should just continue to open up the classic tokens)

Currently my oml is at 375 with 2/1/5 covers. Very useful in both pvp and pve. Would additional covers help? Sure, but the impact is not as big.

Similarly for my other 5*, they are between 1-6 covers. They are not going to replace my oml, so pulling them is not helping me a lot.

My plan: I am planning to champ rulk, 4* cyc and carnage before I opened up my LT and CP. I just managed to champ rulk 3 days ago. Which in the mean time, I lost 1 4* cyc and 1 rulk cover became they weren't maxed.

Expected time to start opening up my tokens... Probably in 1.5- 2.5 months time. Currently I have 7 LT and about 235 CP.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    I started hoarding legendary tokens once my 4* crept closer to max covers. No point wasting them on dupes that would simply be sold for iso. However, Black Suit Spider was released and I could not resist. Opened my stash of 18 and didn't get him, I did get a phoenix and OML (still no yellow). I then back back to hoarding. When Green Goblin was announced and I found out OML was beening pahsed out, I opened my stash again. Another 18 tokens and I got 1 OML red. Still no yellow and I'm back to hoarding. Saved up 5 now but these aren't that useful without OML. At least I've been hoarding command points too. Up to 700 now and when I do pull these, I'm hoping to get at least 1 yellow. But you just never know.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I started hoarding CP this past season and after this PVE I will be at 400 and will probably pull the classic to try for the 5*. I have 16 4* cover maxed. I have enough ISO to be able to max 14* atvthe stRt of the season which will be RHulk, but if I get lucky with 2-3 OML that is who will get the bulk of my 300k ISO. Because I need a bunch of iceman, cyclops, Nova, Venom,Miles, and spider Gwen I might get lucky and get some covers I need. The reality is if you are not pulling the LT's you can't get the covers for 5* unless you are grinding for top placement in PVE or scoring 2000+ points to win PVP. The 1000 point cover in PVP is nice but if I am not pulling LT from my 1300 progression how am I suppose to progress?