What is the benefit to PVP vs PVE?

Options
I see a lot of guides and posts for PVP and I'm not sure what the actual benefit is to doing that instead of PVE. Is it faster pulls or more chances for 3s/4s/5s?

I've pretty much always been a PVE player in this game, finally have a fairly high level 3* team but want to keep filling out my roster. Lately I've pretty much only been doing DDQs anyway.

Thanks!

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You don't need to do clears every 8 hours to do well in PvP...
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    I think with scaling changes on the horizon, any discussion now could be rendered moot later this month. Just saying. icon_lol.gif
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options
    puppychow wrote:
    I think with scaling changes on the horizon, any discussion now could be rendered moot later this month. Just saying. icon_lol.gif

That's likely true, but up to this point, there have been two benefits. An easier path to 4* covers, and potential for more ISO (once you can get good placement, which takes a very strong roster and some luck) and legendaries (they run three events per week, rather than 1-2). The 4* covers were what drew me in.
  • Oh man - I've been shorting myself this whole time. I don't clear every 8 hours in PVE anyway, in fact that's why I don't do heavy PVE involvement anymore because I couldn't keep up even when I tried.

Good to know about PVP!
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Don't forget season progression rewards.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    the difference is return on investment. but, there is a minimum roster level requirement to be able to make the most of the pvp rewards. if you have at least a decent 4* pair, you could end up with 78 cp, 3 4* covers, and at least 9 3* covers every week (t50 and 1300+), along with 9 tokens. all for much, MUCH, less time than a week of competitive pve will provide. however, this usually takes some shields, so for many, pvp isn't very hp positive, and is an hp drain for some. per match, there is more iso in pvp matches as well, although to play high levels, you'll be spending some iso on skips and boosts. so pvp isn't an iso/hp mine if you're playing at high levels. you make some iso, but it all depends on how much skipping you have to do to find points/matches.

pve week (t50) will result in 9 tokens, either 39 or 64 cp (depending on 1 or 2 events), 425 hp (350 for sub placements plus event progression), and lots of iso (as long as you minimize boosts). the total iso is considerably more in pve because of the volume of matches you must complete each day (~50-70 matches per day), even if per match, it is less.

the most effective way to not kill yourself is pick the one you can do well. if your roster is a decent level, focus on pvp and just do what you can in pve. if you can't at least get to 1K in pvp, focus on pve and just do what you can in pvp. top players do both consistently, which if you can handle it, will blaze you through progressing. other than iso - that lacks more than any single aspect once you're working on 4*s (and can hit 1300).

note: xidragon brings up a good point. pvp also has season progression and placement that adds rewards along the way - covers, a 10-pack at 4K points, an LT if you make it to 10K. and pvp also has shield simulator, which adds even more stuff.

I probably overlooked some aspects, but that gives you a general feel.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you get to 300 points you get a decent cover token, a 2* cover, a 1* token and 3 +1 all boosts.

That's in addition to the 1*, 2* covers and ISO you get for winning individual fights.

Oh and whatever placement rewards you get, which at that level will probably be 1* tokens and ISO or maybe a 2* cover plus ISO.

Most people should be able to make the 300 mark, even newbies should be able to beat newbies based on the loaner character.

After that if your roster is strong enough you can get better rewards, but that influx of 2 stars with the odd 3 or 4 star should improve any PvE roster, even if just through championing and ISO.

You also get season progression and placement rewards on top of everything listed above. It's good rewards at any level of play for low time investment.

At the high end you can add CP, HP, and guaranteed 3 and 4 star covers to the mix, but that actually becomes effort and requires a meaningful roster.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,240 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simple point to PVE VS PVP...

PVP.. you dont have to play every 8 hours. you almost never have to buy slots since your not getting the new 4 stars .

if they do fall to 1 4 star and 1 5 star per month now you should be able to make enough HP just doing PVP

I easy hit 100 per pvp (more like 200) taht is 300 to 600 per week or 1200 to 2400 per month in free HP
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    These days: iso.

And it's not an either/or situation. I do both as I'm able to get all I can.
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:

Better than spending HP on shields?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    20three wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:

Better than spending HP on shields?
    You don't really need to shield until the end of the event unless you are going for a truly crazy score. You can buy a Three hour shield event and still stay HP positive.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It all depends on where you are at, but it is an important question to ask because it will determine which kind of alliance you join. The way I see it PVE is where you go to develop your roster so you can compete in PVP. If you don't have a seasoned roster yet it's kind of a waste of time to sink all of your resources into PVP. You should compete just enough to collect your 10 pack. In PVE you can collect up to 4 covers for your 3* character per event if you place in the top 50, provided your alliance does as well. Not to mention the vault rewards are better (in a 7 day event you can collect up to 16 vault tokens, and you have a greater chance of pulling useful covers than from a PVP token).

3 day PVE's are also hard to beat, it's an easy way to collect 25cp.
  • bbf2
    bbf2 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm still at a point where all of my HP goes into new roster slots, so PVP just isn't very fun for me.

Clearing every 8 hours is totally fine if you pick a time slot that works.

The "you can lose points you've earned because of defense" is totally unappealing and frustrating. In PVE I can control my own destiny and I can't semi-arbitrarily lose what I've earned.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Don't forget that if you want to place well, there's a 1-2 hour grind at the end of each pve sub as well.

Overall, PvE vs PvP, to me, is grind versus stress. Which one I prefer depends on my mood and my bracket. I generally only spend 225 HP on shields per PvP, so HP expenses are not an issue for me, even as a mostly F2p player (especially since HP no longer buys covers). Of course it helps that I have some weird knack for pulling those 1000 HP taco tokens.

The biggest upside about PvE is that hard work can actually get you good placement, whereas in PvP it's mostly dependent on how much you're willing to spend on shields. Fortunately, and ironically, in PvP prog rewards are the ones that truly matter, and placement is much less relevant.
  • So apparently I've forgotten more than I realize and/or didn't know as much as I'd like about these changes.

I did a PVP event last night - decided I wanted to get 1st place and ended up doing so - I timed my shields wrongly and spent more HP than I wanted to but ended up getting X-23 and 3x Hulk covers (sadly I already had a green so I decided to keep it for championing).
    That's the other point - I had no idea what championing is, I don't think it shows up in PVE so I kept selling my covers - I could have had a much higher level 2* Mag/Storm/BW by now (My preferred team to run since I don't have a great group of 3*s yet)

But now I know better - I had more fun in PVP anyway - though I don't know how its even possible to hit 1000 points - I played my butt off and still only ended at like 680. Maybe with a higher * team or something.