Possible end-game progression solution?

Clyve
Clyve Posts: 91
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I thought more about the end-game progression model that many are complaining about and realized that championing is D3's solution (or one of them) for folks that put in a lot of effort but have poor luck acquiring 5*s. If players are earning a lot of LTs but keep drawing 4*s, they champion them to gain access to additional LTs in the 4* champion reward structure, thus giving them more chances at 5*s. Of course, a lot of people's argument is that this doesn't do enough to mitigate bad luck. So then I was thinking, why not add 5*s to the 4* champion upgrade rewards, similar to what 3*s have with 4*s? Only problem there (which 3*s kind of experience), is that as new 5*s come out, they can't retroactively be added to the champion rewards of older 4*s, so acquiring newer 5*s would still be difficult. So I think this is the solution:

Create a new type of token that awards you a random 5* and replace a bunch of the LTs in the 4* champion reward structure with these new tokens. You could possibly sell the new tokens for somewhere between 200 and 400 CP also. Anyway, this way, players that put in a lot of effort and are in the higher tiers of play will have a path to guaranteed 5*s. I think this solution is the most feasible since it's most in line with other reward structures that D3 has created. It also solves the issue that I think a lot of high-level players are complaining about, which is that lower-tier players that just happen to have good luck can acquire enough 5*s to skip a tier or two and immediately compete with the highest tier players. While this is still possible, those lower-level players are unlikely to have championed 4*s, so higher-tier players should be acquiring 5*s at a generally faster rate and should be able to outpace them.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's not a bad idea...since the flow of 4* covers is still slow.

The main barrier to progression now is still ISO. I mean, I can earn a bunch of 4* covers but with my current roster I'd sell them for ISO to continue levelling up. I don't have a max level 4* yet and I'm far away from it. I'm levelling up gradually, picking a single 4* from the week's boosted line up and pouring ISO into them, but my best character is level 221.

End game goals are all well and good, but getting to the end game...that's the longest road.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    The 5* token is a great solution as it garuntees a 5* character. By giving it for championing 4* it would work with the transition. You could also make add it to late levels of 3* as if you are taking a 3* to 266 chances are you have a full roster of 4* as well.
    200 CP sounds reasonable since you can get a random 4* for 20 with a 10% chance at a 5*. The question is how many 5* need to be in the game to make this work. With such a small number of 5* in the game would this make the 5* progression too fast? With PVP and PVE you could possible get a 5* every 2 weeks with $0.00.
    I actually think boosting 4 4* per week is the short term solution as of right now. With 4Thor and IM40 I was cruising through 5* well over level 400 in PVP. If you are stuck as a 4* player wig maxed 4* when they are buffed you can take down 5*.
    This is a very good idea, first I would like to see the ISO flow increase so we can actually champion our 4* so we could then have 5* tokens in them
  • Clyve
    wymtime wrote:
    The 5* token is a great solution as it garuntees a 5* character. By giving it for championing 4* it would work with the transition. You could also make add it to late levels of 3* as if you are taking a 3* to 266 chances are you have a full roster of 4* as well.
    200 CP sounds reasonable since you can get a random 4* for 20 with a 10% chance at a 5*. The question is how many 5* need to be in the game to make this work. With such a small number of 5* in the game would this make the 5* progression too fast? With PVP and PVE you could possible get a 5* every 2 weeks with $0.00.
    I actually think boosting 4 4* per week is the short term solution as of right now. With 4Thor and IM40 I was cruising through 5* well over level 400 in PVP. If you are stuck as a 4* player wig maxed 4* when they are buffed you can take down 5*.
    This is a very good idea, first I would like to see the ISO flow increase so we can actually champion our 4* so we could then have 5* tokens in them

Good point about being able to max many 5*s with the current limited 5* roster. If they did implement my solution, maybe they shouldn't make it available for purchase at the start. Once the stable of 5*s has reached a reasonable size, then they could start selling them for CP.
  • mmrosek
    mmrosek Posts: 40
    I really like the idea, but this new 5* token should NEVER be able to be purchased, only earned through championing/progression. We are where we're out now partly because they made LTs buy-able. If we ever do get a 5* token, it's almost guaranteed they'll make it buy-able though.
  • Electrovirus
    Electrovirus Posts: 64 Match Maker
    This will never happen. 5* progression is slow for a reason. If they speed up the process they would have to introduce a 6* tier sooner rather than later.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Some people have already max-champed 4*s though. Do we just leave them out?
  • Clyve
    Some people have already max-champed 4*s though. Do we just leave them out?

True that it would suck for those players, though presumably they have a solid number of 5*s (how would you accumulate 100 extra 4* covers and not?). I guess one other thing they could add is you could feed additional 4* covers to maxed out champed 4*s for some amount of CP?
  • Clyve
    This will never happen. 5* progression is slow for a reason. If they speed up the process they would have to introduce a 6* tier sooner rather than later.

Even if they only put like 5 of these tokens in the 4* champ rewards? I don't think that accelerates it to greatly (granted, selling the tokens for CP might fast-forward things too much, but like I mentioned in another post, that could be postponed until there are more 5*s). Also, as more and more 5*s are added, the progression slows further.