Is it worth farming 2*s for champion progression rewards?

RemoDestroyer
RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Is it worth farming 2* characters for champion progression rewards? I don't mean is it worth maxing to level 144 a 2* that you plan on keeping on your roster. I mean is it worth leveling a 2* to 144, selling and then repeating.

The cost to get to 144 considering you would otherwise sell the 2* covers is 90,280 iso.

3250 from the first 13 covers
69530 to level from 15 to 94
5000 to champion
1250 from the next 50 covers

The iso return from selling the character is 35000 (17.5k x 2 from selling the character and progression rewards).

That means the cost of the remaining rewards is 55,280 iso. For that you get

325 hero points (200 from progression/125 from the sale)
5 heroic tokens
5 command points
3 character specific 3* covers

I was thinking about farming Marvel Now Thor and Modern Hawkeye because they eventually contribute to earning Red Hulk and Hulkbuster covers through Modern Thor and IM40.

Assuming there are other characters on your roster that are not max leveled would the iso be better spent max leveling those characters instead?

Comments

• lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    I considered this, but decided against it. ISO can go other places for me. Still got 19 3*, that'll cost me 69k to max/champ. Majority of 4* are at 200. What it boiled down to me, is return on investment. And I came to the conclusion it wasn't worth it. I am considering rostering/champ'ing Bagman, since that rewards an LT, but that's solely for the LT grab, essentially buying an LT with ISO.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wasn't this discussed earlier this week? Not that I can find that thread.

The consensus was that it's not worth the ISO for the CP / HP / Tokens / 3 3* covers that you get.

Though I admit I am tempted. The trouble is, I probably wouldn't want to sell my 144 champion until I already had the replacement ready to champion, so it's an upfront cost. Right now I'd rather spend 90k ISO on getting Hulkbuster from 250 to 270.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Burning Down the Roster in Order to Build It ...

This was the title on the last post. If your goal is to ultimately upgrade your 4*s through the chain of 2*s and then 3*s then it is good for the small amount of cards you would eventually get for those said 4*s. However, that is a really long process... Sure the 2* Champion progression is relatively brief if you play alot, but unless you spend a bunch of money the 3* Champion progression is a lot slower. And then there is that whole other in-game currency called, oh what was it... Oh yeah, Iso 8. It would be a net loss of a lot of Iso to rinse and repeat the 2* Champion process. Much better to use that Iso on leveling your 4*s when you get the cards for them.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    No. That iso would be better spent maxing 3* covers to champion THEM instead, or investing in 4*'s to win the Deadpool dailys. Opportunity cost is everything.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    personally I'd happily pay a package of

325 hero points
    5 heroic tokens
    5 command points

for the 55K iso. especially that considering MPQ thinks 78K iso is worth $100 (which it isn't), but using those terms, is the package worth giving up to get $70 worth of iso, I say yes. heroics have no value and come in droves, especially on LR days. 5 cp is a quarter of what is likely 1K iso. 3 covers is not very significant. and the 325 hp is something, but I'd happily buy a stark just to start this conversion.

if I'm so eager to jump at the deal this direction, I'm pretty sure the other direction isn't worth it.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll do it when I need a break from champing my 4*s. I have around 5-10 fully covered, non-champed 4*s, so I'm sadly throwing away their extra covers left and right. I'll get to them all eventually, even though it will take months.

If there's some dead period where I'm not leveling up a 4*, I'll level and champ a 2*. It's a fun little side project. It's fun because you keep receiving 2* covers all the time, so it happens very quickly (the leveling, not the gathering of iso).
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Championing is only worth it for 2*s if the character is already level 94.

I was tempted to bring them all up to 94 so 2* rewards would almost always be useful. But then I saw 80k ISO wouldn't max out my level 221 Xpool so suddenly ISO felt way more scarce than ever before. Pouring 80k into a 2* felt utterly wasteful.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    After I got 2* Storm to 144 I bought another slot and started a second. Once I had 13 covers and enough iso to get her to 94, I sold the original and champed the new one. I'm working on covering my second 2* Wolves now. I don't play enough to get CP or 3* covers from much else. So it's long game strategy for me to get 4* covers and LTs. I do have all 3*s and 4* wolves, Thor and Fury champed now, but not very close to maxed yet. I'm saving CP until I'm in a better position to level up other 4*s.
  • RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    Adding 47,500 iso to the 2* sell price changes the cost of the non iso champion rewards from 55,280 iso to 7,780 iso.

Is it worth it to max champ, sell, repeat now?

7,780 iso now gets you
    5 heroic tokens
    5 command points
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Adding 47,500 iso to the 2* sell price changes the cost of the non iso champion rewards from 55,280 iso to 7,780 iso.

7,780 iso now gets you
    5 heroic tokens
    5 command points

If we assume that the 5 heroics pull 2* characters, that's 1250 iso value there. Factor in 1500 iso for the 3 3* characters, for a total of 2750 iso, so the net cost is 5030 iso for 325 HP, and 5 CP.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    lukewin wrote:
    I considered this, but decided against it. ISO can go other places for me. Still got 19 3*, that'll cost me 69k to max/champ. Majority of 4* are at 200. What it boiled down to me, is return on investment. And I came to the conclusion it wasn't worth it. I am considering rostering/champ'ing Bagman, since that rewards an LT, but that's solely for the LT grab, essentially buying an LT with ISO.

My answer when the buyback price was 17.5k is above, no. At 65k, I'm selling my 2*, except for Hawkeye, Storm, Magneto, who I use for DDQ. Gonna sell Ares, OBW, Cap Marvel, and Wolverine. Thor, as well once the Simulator is over. The roster slots will stay, and I will keep building up 2* Champs, and selling them off. The excess ISO you have to put in to max and champ them again is trivial compared to the rewards you get. I wouldn't do it at the old buyback price because the ISO required and champ them again was too much for the rewards you'd gain. This time, I don't need to rebuild the exact ones I'm selling off. I can just rebuild the ones who provide the 3* covers I will want.

When I sell off the 5 2*, I will have a great amount of ISO to use. While rebuilding the 2* to champ them, I'll be accumulating ISO that I can just put in over time. I like having a big windfall to play with, and the rebuilt 2* will allow me to feel like I'm make continual progress.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    morph3us wrote:

7,780 iso now gets you
    5 heroic tokens
    5 command points

If we assume that the 5 heroics pull 2* characters, that's 1250 iso value there. Factor in 1500 iso for the 3 3* characters, for a total of 2750 iso, so the net cost is 5030 iso for 325 HP, and 5 CP.

I guess that's not too bad. It's about the equivalent of ISO from a fully completed DDQ each day. Would I trade a day's worth of DDQ ISO for the HP/CP? Yeah, probably. Not regularly, but if I needed just a bit more for my next roster slot or LT, sure.

Still, I think the best approach is to cycle selected 2*'s which feed the 3*'s that will give favourable 4* covers. Probably the best 2* to cycle is Hawkeye since he grants IM40 covers. Now that IM40 has a valuable contribution to almost any team he's much more likely to be champed. The additional benefit, of course, is that IM40 gives out Hulkbuster covers. Since you generally want to have IM40 and Hulkbuster rostered and champed, it makes sense to cycle Hawkeye in order to get those covers faster.

I think the other characters worth considering would be:
    - Thor > Thor > Rhulk; 3* Thor isn't quite a team staple like IM40 is currently, but he's not terrible and champed+boosted can still see a lot of play. Rhulk is Rhulk. You do want Rhulk covers, right?

- Wolverine > Wolverine > Wolverine; Mostly because I assume that XFW is one of the most covered 4*'s and thus most likely to be champed.

- Daken > Daken > X23; She's not top tier like Rhulk or HB, but still definite mid tier and Daken's no slouch. My X23 has 10 or 11 covers, and is at rank 5 green already, which is the first cover from 3* Daken. So I wouldn't be cycling 2* Daken just yet myself, but if/when I champ X23 then this would be worth cycling a few times.

- Mags > Mags > PX; Now we're getting into slightly more "personal preference" territory. Still, both Mags are quite good in their tier, and worth having/champing. It's just a matter of whether or not you want PX covers.

- Danvers > Danvers > Thing & Human Torch > Human Torch > Thing; Two paths here, so you can pick whichever best suits you, or if both 3*'s are champed then you can cycle both 2*'s.

- Storm > Storm > Thor; I think 3* Storm is the weak link here. If you have her champed, then it's probably not a bad idea to cycle 2* Storm a bit, but Thor's probably not quite worth the investment if you don't.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just like the thought of chasing a 266 Magneto see how brutal he is
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    I want to do this. Sadly had to occupy most roster slots after the spoils of (civil) war were too bountyful. Right now I'm only championing two 2stars, and one of them will stay there permanently for DDQ purposes. Can't wait to roster all I won this may so I can save any extra HP I get to get slots to build several 2star champions again.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now that the selling price is so much higher, I'm doing it!! I love champing 2*s and getting continual prizes! It feels great. Previously it was cost-prohibitive, but now it's possible. Sure, I may lose 5000 to 1000 in opportunity costs when selling a max-champ and re-champing a new one. But that's chump change! I can get that in less than a day, so let's do it!!!

2*s now have meaning again! Yeah!!!!
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler

7,780 iso now gets you
    5 heroic tokens
    5 command points

Taking the full process into account, I've got something like this (feel free to check my math):

Fully championing costs 69529 ISO (to 94) + 5000 ISO (champion cost) + the "loss" of 12500 ISO from not selling 50 2* covers: 87029 ISO
    Selling the champion gains 65000 ISO, + 17500 ISO earned by champion levels, leaving a net difference of
    -4529 ISO
    5 Heroic tokens (minimally 1250 ISO, if they all pull 2* covers which are then sold, potentially more)
    3 three star covers (minimally 1500 ISO, potentially much more if those covers go towards championed 3*s)
    375 HP
    5 CP

If the generated covers are all sold for minimum values, then net ISO change reduces to -1779, plus 375 HP and 5 CP. My 3*s aren't fully championed yet, so in my use case, it is very likely that the heroic tokens and 3* covers will actually net much more than the 2750 ISO gained from selling them. It appears to me that at the worst, re-champing 2*s generates a very slight profit (1779 ISO for 375 HP and 5 CP is probably a good, but not amazing, deal) with the potential for a modest profit in ISO, HP, CP and 3* power (from adding champion levels).

Edit to add: Hmm. I'm not accounting for the ISO lost from not selling the 13 2* covers it'll take to max the 2* character. That adds an additional loss of 3250 ISO for a total of -5029 ISO. Still probably a net profit (especially if the Heroics net a 4*, or the 3* covers result in 4* covers or lots of ISO), but a slimmer one.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Edit to add: Hmm. I'm not accounting for the ISO lost from not selling the 13 2* covers it'll take to max the 2* character. That adds an additional loss of 3250 ISO for a total of -5029 ISO. Still probably a net profit (especially if the Heroics net a 4*, or the 3* covers result in 4* covers or lots of ISO), but a slimmer one.

Theres a bunch of threads out there now, I think you got the basic idea, if you add it up again you'll see its closer to 7779 ISO difference, but that's splitting hairs...

I like the trade and will be championing and selling (eventually) mainly because the value I place on 3* and above covers are definitely greater than their ISO sale price.

In contrast before this update I valued 2* covers pretty close to their iso sale price... higher now that they have this use.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    With the current change, locking this older one, please use the current on for more up to date info (linked below)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45212
This discussion has been closed.