PVE: All nodes essentials

SnowcaTT
SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
In PVE, what if all nodes required a specific character?

-Players would want to keep all 2*/3* characters on their roster, and keep them leveled (a win for D3)
-Scaling could be completely removed, since one of the characters is "set" (a win for the players)
-It would promote diversity, trying different teams with needed character (a win for everyone)

Other effects:
Nodes would likely have to be disconnected (not linear), so if you are missing an essential the node could be skipped.
Perhaps a loaner base level 1/1/1 essential could be given out - so even the beginning 1* rosters could attempt these.
The (universally?) hated Heroic events could become open to all characters (not heroic).
Combos [like winfinite] would obviously take the biggest hit.

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    So... they would be like most PVP nodes, except the required character might vary per node rather than per event?

I already use pretty diverse PVE teams as it is (the characters I personally like but can't justify using in PVP) and I think you're basically proposing something with no upside to the individual player, and some pretty annoying downsides (imagine the required/provided character for the CP node at the end one day is Moonstone. Now you have to do the hardest node with a minimum-level 1/1/1 Moonstone. Oh boy.)
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    So... they would be like most PVP nodes, except the required character might vary per node rather than per event?

I already use pretty diverse PVE teams as it is (the characters I personally like but can't justify using in PVP) and I think you're basically proposing something with no upside to the individual player, and some pretty annoying downsides (imagine the required/provided character for the CP node at the end one day is Moonstone. Now you have to do the hardest node with a minimum-level 1/1/1 Moonstone. Oh boy.)

There is already required moonstone occasionally - whenever the 2* essential rolls up her number.

The upside to the player would be scaling! Each of the nodes would be "curated" (as D3 likes to call it), so you can use your level 15 Moonstone or 94 moonstone or 144 moonstone and you should be able to beat whichever node they put you against - you won't be seeing level 300's to try to put that level 94 moonstone against, and if you have the level 144 moonstone it should be that much easier for you.