Why don't we get more playable villains?

I'm really curious to hear if there's an actual reason beyond them not fitting a storyline. It's not like all of the current good guys fit.

Even if they aren't released as playable immediately, I'd be happy. Honestly, I've occasionally skipped or deliberately done poorly in events just because I'm tired of facing the same groups over and over again.

I like how most characters have a versus event, I'd love to see something similar in pve. Call them side quests or something and run them alongside events that have that character locked out (heroics). Like the ant man thing, just not so long.

Oops, wandered a bit. Anyway, back to villains. Seems to me that usually the good guys were outnumbered and that's not really the case here. Admittedly I've only ever been a very casual and intermittent comics reader do I could be wrong there. I do see a lot of heroes here and not the people they are known to go up against the most though.

I see a lot of opportunities here for villains or even heroes that have occasionally taken dark turns for a while. Significant names from the spiderverse and xmen come to mind right off the bat: sandman, rhino, lizard, sabertooth, toad, blob, at least a half a dozen others I can visualize but not remember names for...

Where are Blade's opponents?

I know I'm forgetting a lot, which tells me they've apparently been forgotten here, too.

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's 2 reasons.
    1) Everyone loves a hero!
    2) Marvel's not known for the best villains outside of Spidey's bunch.

A lot of villains in the Marvel universe are kinda weird. Or racist. Or dumb. Or simply too obscure for the general public to identify.

DC's the place to go for generally for the really good memorable villains, and even then most of them are Batman's bunch.
    Marvel has this habbit of making heroes fight each other a lot.

I don't disagree, btw. I'd love to see more villains. Vulture would be nifty, we need more fliers. I'd love to see The Enchantress, she showed up on Agents of Shield so people might be more familiar with her. I still hold out hope for God Doom, too. He needs a Galactus ability. "Doom proves to all why he is God. 30AP in every colour plus 30 TU. You win."
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    If Enchantress put out a countdown where you then got to play your opponent's moves while it was out... just saying... that'd be a lot of fun.

"Yeah, you need more TU AP. Here you go."
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    My guess is that, generally, newer characters tie into whatever is going on at Marvel at the time and since Marvel tends to have books/shows/movies that star heroes, so we get more heroes. We got an influx of characters from Marvel's All-New, All Different promotion and now it's looking like the next character is going be from a show.

Sometimes it feels like Demi does "one for them and one for us" and that's how we get classic Venom and Green Goblin in between nu-Nova and Spider-Gwen.
    I don't disagree, btw. I'd love to see more villains. Vulture would be nifty, we need more fliers. I'd love to see The Enchantress, she showed up on Agents of Shield so people might be more familiar with her. I still hold out hope for God Doom, too. He needs a Galactus ability. "Doom proves to all why he is God. 30AP in every colour plus 30 TU. You win."

That was Lorelei, who is The Enchantress' sister, but not The Enchantress. Marvel doesn't really give AoS any decent villains from their catalogue.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    It would be nice to bring out some villains in batches, with a themed PvE event. Like Hellfire Club, Brotherhood of Mutants, Sinister Six. But it'll never happen, because they aren't gonna bring out any more characters lower than a 4*, and we aren't gonna see a 4* Avalanche or Lizard.

I hope they DO bring out more 1, 2, and 3* in the future, but if they do, it almost certainly will not be before they add a ton more 4* and several more 5*. And even then, the ONLY way people would be interested in seeing them is if D3 finally increased the trickle of ISO we get to something more befitting a 4*-5* endgame.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    It would be nice to bring out some villains in batches, with a themed PvE event. Like Hellfire Club, Brotherhood of Mutants, Sinister Six. But it'll never happen, because they aren't gonna bring out any more characters lower than a 4*, and we aren't gonna see a 4* Avalanche or Lizard.

I hope they DO bring out more 1, 2, and 3* in the future, but if they do, it almost certainly will not be before they add a ton more 4* and several more 5*. And even then, the ONLY way people would be interested in seeing them is if D3 finally increased the trickle of ISO we get to something more befitting a 4*-5* endgame.

For something like Sinister Six, maybe the villains not already in the game can be put in as minions or cpu exclusive. Maybe do an event where it starts with hammer goons, then builds up to the villain goons, then to the in game characters like doc ock and 4* venom and end with green goblin as a boss. I don't think every character needs to be playable to do an event like that. If anything it can be a test for the lesser villains eventually being released as a lower rarity if they decide to add more and if they are popular.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    For something like Sinister Six, maybe the villains not already in the game can be put in as minions or cpu exclusive. Maybe do an event where it starts with hammer goons, then builds up to the villain goons, then to the in game characters like doc ock and 4* venom and end with green goblin as a boss. I don't think every character needs to be playable to do an event like that. If anything it can be a test for the lesser villains eventually being released as a lower rarity if they decide to add more and if they are popular.

True. We've already got big baddies like Ultron and Galactus, not to mention Gorgon, and some in game art for Azazel. I just like collecting.
  • The "Only 4* and 5* releases for now" may make more villains a minor problem.

I mean, they serve as appropriate PVE enemies, and 4*s are supposed to be stronger then 3 and 2*s of the same level.

So you end up with Venom Bomb with 4* Carnage and Venom both making things a pain for players by being tougher then your average Dark Avenger.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    colwag wrote:
    The "Only 4* and 5* releases for now" may make more villains a minor problem.

I mean, they serve as appropriate PVE enemies, and 4*s are supposed to be stronger then 3 and 2*s of the same level.

So you end up with Venom Bomb with 4* Carnage and Venom both making things a pain for players by being tougher then your average Dark Avenger.

That's a good point, but I just see that as a reason why they need to revamp PvE. I mean, they thought DDQ was getting stale, so why not ALL of PvE?
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's 2 reasons.
    1) Everyone loves a hero!

Basically this. There's a bit of psychology behind making your players use heroes rather than villains most of the time. It also helps that, as other have pointed out, the source material is often follows the heroes. Although in this regard, the OP raises an interesting point;
    Aethrwolf wrote:
    Even if they aren't released as playable immediately, I'd be happy. Honestly, I've occasionally skipped or deliberately done poorly in events just because I'm tired of facing the same groups over and over again.

It would definitely be interesting to see some villains introduced to the game as opponents first. Ultron, Galactus, and even Gorgon are uniquely positioned in that they're at a power level above (or outside of) their listed star-tier rating. However there's no reason that Demiurge couldn't introduce balanced villains (I mean, I hope there isn't).

Anyway, it could be very interesting if we had to play against a new character over the course of a few events - let's call it a PvE "season" to match the existing terminology. Something like:

"Vulture arrives on the scene, and he's causing trouble for Spider-Man & his friends! Look out for Vulture across limited-time PvE events!"
    A different Spider-hero would be a part of the boosted character list each week, and Vulture would turn up throughout each PvE event that runs during the first 3 weeks. Then in the final week of the "season" there'd be a "recruit Vulture" event.
  • I mentioned the issues with 4* and 5* villians and being potential PVE enemies but

I am totally hyped for the idea of a PVE event where you fight against the Green Goblin.

Norman's been the source of most of the misery in this game, having him as the most powerful villian you fight feels like it makes sense in terms of gameplay hype. (Less so canonical universe powers obv.)

Like, an event that leads to a hard Final Node of going 3vs1 against the Green Goblin as a warmup, followed by another sub's hardest node of like, Vs Green Goblin, Muscle, Muscle or something like that.

Just imagining the GG fortifying Goon Countdown tiles. That is a challenge/screw you move worthy of Goshdarn Norman Osborune.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm still waiting on Sabertooth. So many Logans, but no Victor. And I think Annihilus with his hordes of bugs would make a great survival node. Wave after wave of bugs until we hit the final wave that has Annihilus by himself.

JJ
  • Ruibarian
    Ruibarian Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Not really sure.

I largely disagree with the sentiments that the villains in DC are better or that the villains in Marvel are less memorable.

Baron Zemo, Red Skull, Sabretooth, Lady Deathstrike, Kang, Apocalypse, Thanos, Dark Phoenix, and Mysterio are all great heroes that the game could use that, except for Kang and Mysterio, have appeared in Marvel movies.

My guess? Galactus and Ultron would be 5* characters, but they were made into the Alliance-wide PvE bosses instead. Also, who would EVER team up with them? The flavor of working with someone/thing like Annihilus is sort of incomprehensible.

Hopefully we see more anyway...
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd quite like to fight some Sentinels as NPC/goon characters in events... [blade runner] X... men... [/blade runner] events.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Give us new villains, don't give us new villains....I Don't Care. Just retire the damned dark avengers and give us something better and new to do.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    by Ruibarian » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:51 pm

Baron Zemo, Red Skull, Sabretooth, Lady Deathstrike, Kang, Apocalypse, Thanos, Dark Phoenix, and Mysterio are all great heroes that the game could use that, except for Kang and Mysterio, have appeared in Marvel movies.

Yes, MPQ seems to be very linked to Marvel media releases.
    Also Electro, the Mandarin (more or less...), Klaw, the Collector, plus already mentioned Hellfire club members, Sandman and Lizard.
    Guess we can consider Winter soldier a villain too?
    I don't know anything about incoming Dr.Strange movie, but would be a scam if it doesnt feature Dormammu, and he fits nicely for a 4 or 5*.
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Well something that hasn't been mentioned to in this post is both from ChoHulk and HoD events is Mephesito is present and in Cho's story event is alluded that more is to come for the heroes. I think they have some Limbo/Hel PvE events planned for the future. Plus right now all the X-men comics are going to start their Apocalypse story Arcs in the coming weeks. I think they're def planning stuff for villains planned. As far as playable characters unless Marvel is allowing them rights to villians, but prompting them to use certain heroes their hands can be somewhat tied. As to Villains that need introduced I'm in agreement for Sabertooth, but tech after recent events in the comics he has turned a new leaf and fighting alongside the X-men in the current Uncanny X-Men comics, Sinister Six Characters, Fin Fang Foom, Mr. Sinister, or they should do a Brood story event for the X-Men lovers.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    "Marvel isn't known for their villains, DC is, that's why we don't have many in this game."

Easily the most nonsensical thing I've read, all week.

Anyways, they ARE NOT going to to make an abundance of specific NPC's, knowing they cannot make money off of them.

Also, they probably have little to NO say in what characters are added, in the first place. lol