2* worth Rostering to Champion?

Options
RBwilliams07
RBwilliams07 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
edited March 2016 in Roster and Level Help
I'm in the 3* to 4* transition. Full 3* roster with half championed. I don't have enough covers to start utilizing my 4*s yet.

My question is, since 2*s are so easy to champion and max out at 144, is it worth rostering the ones I don't have to help get 3* covers which in turn help get 4* covers?

Sorry if this question has been asked before I searched but couldn't find anything.

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm going to keep champing and selling my 2*s. It's a fun diversion! And yeah I'll be champing my 4*s as well... I have sooooo many at 13 covers now, it will literally take over 2 million ISO to get them all done! So that's going to require months and months of work, all for more 4* covers (I've stopped receiving 5*s from my LTs.. the last 60+ have been 4*s only..).

I'm about to champ Bag Man. I have 4 of his covers waiting in queue already! Then I have lots of other 2*s at 13 covers that I'll champ every now and then, when I need a break from champing my 4*s.

It's nice to be getting constant champ covers for the 2*s. You only get the champ 4*s once in a blue moon, although I suppose that the more I champ, the more champ'able covers I'll start receiving.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If all you're after is the extra champion covers, then no, it's not worth it. At the moment, ISO is the resource that's in shortest supply and championing a 2* from scratch is a big iso investment.

While 2* covers are fairly frequent, they aren't so abundant that you can just get a specific character fully championed all that quickly. 3* covers come along at a decent rate already.

Bottom line, unless you intend to use the 2* champion for battles, not worth starting one from scratch.
  • jordanix
    jordanix Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm probably going to max champ 2* wolverine and thor, then dump them to start over. It is a hard iso price to pay, but I would really like to chain my way up to their 4* covers rewards, primarily their 3* lvl 183 covers.

I have a max covered 2* hawkeye sitting at lvl 15 that I really want to champ as well, but there always seems to be other places to dump iso into. I want to champ one more 3*, plus I have 2 4* that I want to pump up for their upcoming DDQ.

Beyond all that I actually want to take my x-force to 270 and start champing him. Still need more covers for him though, which goes back to my first sentence.

All of which requires more iso8.png than I will have in a reasonable amount of time.
    I can really relate to the OP though in that champing 2* heroes is progression you can actually watch happen, as opposed to the slow slug to the 4* transition.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    What Tryke said - championing a 2* character from scratch is a net ISO loss. It does, however, get you a few CPs, covers, and a few tokens (that in theory *could* be 4* covers you need - don't hold your breath).

If your ISO is scarce and you really need it, I wouldn't bother. For the cost of champing two 2*s, you could pretty much champ a 3* (if I recall correctly).
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I, also, wouldn't bother working on a star.pngstar.png character if you're already far enough into the game that you're building up star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png characters. Personally, I have four star.pngstar.png Champions but they were already maxed out when the Champion program started. It's great that any cover I receive for them is at least the amount of ISO I'd receive for selling the cover but it's just not worth it to start from scratch for a character you didn't already have up there.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Initially, adding a new 2* to champion them seemed like a good idea. I would accumulate a few dozen covers of the same character and work to champ them and acquire all their rewards. Now that I've started fully covering 4*s, I can't see having the ISO to spare to do this for a long time. I would much rather add a bunch of levels to a character that can help me reach my score targets than mess around with heroes that will only see the light of day in DDQ.
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    if you don't have 2* at max lvl or close to it don't bother wasting iso on them. If you're looking for a good investment if your 4* are not in a usualbe state yet then go for lvling and championing 3* that will award you top5 4* - that's imho best thing you can do and that's what I've done myself icon_e_smile.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cost of leveling a 2* to 94---69,530

Cost of championing 5000

Total ISO reclaimed from 94 to 144--17,500.

Sale of my 132 2* right now is 16,300. So lets say it's an even 17,500 as well.

35K profit. 74.5K loss

Net loss of 39.5K if you keep building and selling. This is a bad, bad idea
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    what phaser is saying is would you spend 39,500 iso on a package of:

3 covers of the 3* character
    5 cp
    250 hp
    5 heroic tokens

most of us would say no, but some might be interested. iso is by far the most precious resource for those at the top, and even if you think that package isn't that bad of a deal for 40K iso, the vast majority of us would gladly give that package to get 40K iso.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Champing 2* is worth it the first time in my opinion because I still used 2* in DDQ and in certain events (beyond essentials) rarely. I don't think champing and selling is useful due the limitations of iso. I only championed those 2* that I already had maxed at level 94 and do not plan on championing those I did not ( icon_bullseye_old.pngicon_hawkeye.pngicon_moonstone.pngicon_humantorch.png ) at this time due to the iso costs. I would rather use that iso to champ 3* or save for my eventual needs when I get functional 4* characters.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Championing is definitely worth it, as you can see for 2* 17.5K iso plus tokens, cp etc. all for the low cost of 5K ISO, it's like a bank loan and you are the bank, you get your investment back slowly, but it is vastly worth it, but to sell a 144 2* to start all over is not IMO. 40K iso is not a good investment for the prizes aforementioned. In fact I would never bother building a second as again it's a ISO loss and that's what I need more than anything.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I only championed the 2*s that I already had maxed or close. That 2 was 8. I still have 6 others that are lvl 15 and will stay there until I reach end-game status. There is no point putting 420K iso into those 2*s when I could be using it to max out 2 4*s.

My real issue is with 3*s. I already championed all the ones that were maxed or close (like 140 or so). Now I have a few that are lvl 120ish and a few that are less (and Psylcoke who I refuse to put iso into). These are 3*s that I almost never use unless they are required. Furthermore, if I'm moving into 4* transition, do I even bother with the 10 or so other 3*s that I don't have champed (between 90-120K each to max and champ) or do I just put that iso into 4*s? I have at least 6 4*s that have 12 covers. None fully covered yet (damn RNG keeps giving me the same colors!).
  • RBwilliams07
    RBwilliams07 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thanks everyone and I really appreciate the feedback. Never thought this thread would create so much discussion.

I think I am going to stick with the 2*s I have now and champion them and not add anymore at the moment. I have some more 3*s I need to use ISO on and would probably be better served on using my HP for Daily deals and such.
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanks everyone and I really appreciate the feedback. Never thought this thread would create so much discussion.

I think I am going to stick with the 2*s I have now and champion them and not add anymore at the moment. I have some more 3*s I need to use ISO on and would probably be better served on using my HP for Daily deals and such.

That sounds like a good plan. Stick with it. icon_e_smile.gif
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Sale of my 132 2* right now is 16,300. So lets say it's an even 17,500 as well.
    Just wanted to confirm a maxed out 2* champ sells for 17,500 iso and 125 HP.
  • Pessi
    Pessi Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I rostered torch, bullseye and moonstone (the two stars I was missing) and now have 13 covers for all. It's going to help in pve which I mostly play. I'm restricting the iso I spend on them to only iso I earn from selling their covers. Once maxed, it's money for nothing.

Probably not the fastest method, but for me the HP from champing two stars is great along with the three star covers and CP.
  • kyo28
    kyo28 Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think it all depends on where you are in the development of your roster. For example, in my case I currently have a huge lack of spideycoin.png to buy extra slots, even after spending 19.99 Euro on 6.900 spideycoin.png .

iso8.png on the other hand I seem to be getting much faster than spideycoin.png . Leveling a championed star.pngstar.png nets you extra covers and spideycoin.png which at this point is worth more to me than getting a bigger stock of iso8.png .... however, that will probably change once I get enough covers for me star.pngstar.pngstar.png characters and higher.

So for now it would seem like a good idea to start over championing as long as I need a lot of covers and spideycoin.png . Once that flips around to needing more iso8.png it will be a different story.