5* Quest Events: Old Man Logan

Options
fight4thedream
fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,938 Chairperson of the Boards
To be honest, I have found the current 5* release method to be rather lackluster. Currently, we are provided with an in-game message that a new 5* character is available in Latest Legends tokens and that's it. I believe that having 5* non-competitive events that allow players a chance to test run a 5* character will encourage players to either play the game more and/or pay for a chance to get the 5* character. Every one of the current 5* characters has a rich enough comic background that developing an event to celebrate their place in the game should not be so difficult as to be impractical; in fact, in terms of game design it may offer a great opportunity to provide new kinds of game modes and allow for a more direct shift toward tiered non-competitive play.

Take Old Man Logan, for example: His original storyline is linear and should be easy to adopt for the game.

If I were to design the event, it would look something like this:

5* Quest Event: Old Man Logan
Length of event: 10 days
Type: Non-competitive, Quest
Number of subs: 3, that go up in difficulty. Each sub is unlocked after completion of previous sub.

Objective: The player is given a loaner 0/1/0 OML and must complete various fights and objectives to build the loaner. Upon full completion the loaner will be 3/5/5 and the player will win 1 OML cover. The player will also earn special tokens to a vault that contains three OML covers, a LT and other rewards (number of items and price of packs TBD).

New NPC characters:

Goon Types
Hulk Gang-
Miss Banner (Commander type provides heals and/or strike tiles + pistol)
Otis (Attack type + knife attack)
Charlie (Attack type + punch/kick attack)
Beau
Luke
Woody
Rufus
Elrod

OML Kingpin goons (reskins of Maggia)

Moloids (similar to symbiotes)
Dinosaurs (a la Devil Dino)
Venom T-Rex

Ghost Rider Thugs (reskins of Ninja)
Tobias and Red Skull goons

Boss Types
Kingpin (reskin of In-game Kingpin)
Ashley Barton (Re-skin of Spider-Gwen)
Dwight (reskin of Ant-man)
Red Skull (possible re-skin of Gorgon)
Ultron Eight
Bruce Banner/Hulk

Powered up characters for event

Essential characters
4* Invisible Woman
3* Storm
Hawkeye (both 1* and 2* usable, special OML version reskin for event)

Other powered up characters
4* Carnage
3* Iron Fist
2* Human Torch
1* Spider-Man

Sub 1: The Pacifist
Difficulty: Normal (should be able to be completed with a 2* roster)
Covers available: 2 yellow, 2 red
Setting: Logan is a pacifist so he does not have black covers. The sub is divided into three parts: Hulk Gang, Ghost Riders, and the Kingpin. Introduction of a new game mode called "survive the battle". Basically, the players team must survive a certain set of rounds to clear the mission. Note: Clearing essential nodes not necessary for unlocking next sub.

1st node: Where's the rent?
Enemy: The Hulk Gang
Team: 1 member (OML)
Battle type: Survive the Battle. OML must survive 8 rounds of attacks from the Hulk Gang. (A gimme battle, Logan will not be able to down the Hulk Gang but he will survive due his heal ability. Think tutorial)
Reward: Yellow OML cover

2nd node: Logan's Fantasy
Team: 3 members (must include OML)
Battle type: Normal. Logan fantasizes about killing Hulk Gang. The player uses own characters to help Logan wipe the floor with the Hulk Gang's blood.
Reward: Red OML cover

3rd node: Are you ready to take your beating?
Team: 3 members*
Battle type: Survive the Battle (10 rounds). Player uses other characters to help keep Logan alive. The key to this node is to pick characters like OBW or Colossus to help mitigate damage dealt by Hulk Gang. Simply picking attack types like Human Torch or Iron Fist will result in a loss.
Reward: 1000 Iso

4th node: An Old Friend Pays a Visit
Enemy: The Ghost Riders
Team: 2 members (Hawkeye and OML)
Battle Type: Normal. With OML, use Hawkeye to take down the Ghost Riders.

5th node: Fight Back
Team: 3 members (must include Hawkeye and OML)
Battle Type: Survival waves. 4 waves.

6th node: The Kingpin
Enemy: The Kingpin with goons
Battle Type: Normal. Defeat the Kingpin
Reward: Special Event Token/CP

Essentials

7th node: The Ride of Your Life
Enemy: Moloids
Battle Type: Puzzle objective. Player must create 6 strike tiles on the board by triggering OML Red power Reluctant Hero.
Reward: Special Event Token/CP chance

8th node: The Ghost Riders
Team: 3 members (must include 3* Storm and OML)
Battle Type: Survival Wave. 5 waves.
Reward: 25HP/CP Chance

9th node: Dinosaurs!
Enemy: 3 Dinosaurs
Team 3 members (must include IW and OML)
Battle type: Normal. Defeat the three dinosaurs
Reward: 5000 Iso/CP chance.

Sub 2: Heading For New Babylon
Difficulty: Hard (Should be completed with a good 3* roster)
Covers available: 1 Black, 2 Yellow, 1 Red.
Setting: By this point, players loaner should be 0/3/2. In this sub, we shift gears to introduce more puzzle battles as Hawkeye and OML make their way to New Babylon to fight the Red Skull

Node 1: Ashley Barton
Enemy: Ashley Barton and Goons
Battle Type: AP race. The first side to collect 20 yellow AP wins. The goons with Ashley Barton generate pink for her to stun your team and red for her to attack, but do not generate yellow. Gather enough yellow to escape from her clutches!

Node 2: Moloids
Enemy: Moloids
Battle Type: Survive the Battle. 12 rounds. While the initial first few rounds are easy, the Moloids attack tiles progressively get stronger. Will either need a character that provides good defense (Falcon, Luke Cage) or can clear attack tiles. Should not be able to survive the last three rounds without some sort of protection or nullification of attack tiles.

Node 3: That Night
Enemy: 5* Green Goblin (not maxed), 3* Doctor Octopus and 3* Bullseye
Battle Type: Normal. Logan recalls that fateful night.
Reward: 5000 Iso

Node 4: Dwight's Toll
Enemy: Dwight
Battle Type: AP collection. The player must collect 30 TUs to pay Dwight while Dwight attacks them using Ant-Man's skill set. Dwight cannot be downed.
Reward: Special Event Token

Node 5: T-Rex Venom
Enemy: T-Rex Venom (Devil Dinosaur reskin that attacks using black, pink and green).
Battle type: Survival AP collection battle. Player must collect 15 Red, 15 Yellow, 15 blue before being eaten by the T-Rex. T-Rex cannot be downed.

Node 6: The Red Skull
Enemy: The Red Skull
Battle Type: Special condition. Player must use three Steve Roger TUs against the Red Skull. The Red Skull will have a similar power set to Gorgon. Can stun, has a nuke move that drains TUs, and can produce attack tiles.
Reward: Black OML cover

Essentials

Node 7: Do Your Worst
Enemy: Tobias and Goons (Re-skin Don and Muscle)
Team: 3 members ((must include Hawkeye)
Battle Type: Normal. The end of Hawkeye icon_e_sad.gif

Node 8: Someone didn't pay the toll
Enemy: Dwight
Team: 3 members (must include 3* Storm). 3* locked. Can only use 3* star characters.
Battle: Normal. The player must face buffed 4* version of Dwight (Ant-Man power set)
Reward: 150HP/CP

Node 9: Hide and Seek
Enemy: T-Rex Venom
Team: 3 members (must include IW)
Battle Type: Special condition. Player must cast Invisibility three times to clear the mission.
Reward: 10,000 ISO/CP

Sub 3: SNIKT!
Difficulty: Deadly (Should be completed with a good 4* roster)
Covers available: 2 Black,2 Red.
Setting: By this point, players loaner should be 1/5/3. In this sub, we unleash the beast inside Wolverine as he tears his way through the Hulk clan.

Node 1: The Hulk Gang's Water Hole
Enemy: Rufus and Charlie
Battle Type: Normal. Give players a first run with the black cover.
Reward: Black OML Cover

Node 2: Sonny Stark's Bar
Enemies: Luke, Elrod, Woody
Battle Type: Normal.
Reward: Red OML Cover

Node 3: Heff's Mansion
Enemies: Hulk Gang
Battle Type: Hulk Gang Survival Wave (4 Waves)
Reward: 10,000 Iso

Node 4: Banner's Lair
Enemies: Hulk Gang
Battle Type: Hulk Gang Survival Wave (10 waves)
Reward: Red OML Cover

Node 5: Pappy Banner
Enemies: Pappy Banner
Battle Type: Boss Battle. Pappy Banner, comes with two sets of skills, similar to Logan. In Pappy Banner form, he uses a cow slam to automatically reduce your HP 50%, he also releases two enemy attack tiles for every power your team fires, and an AP power drain moved called "Shhh, you will wake the baby". After you down him the first time, he comes back like the Phoenix, but with more HP than before and now a self healing passive ability, his cow move becomes a nuke with board shake with a possibility of removing your strike tiles, his "Shh" move becomes an AOE attack that stuns two random team members and his attack tile move becomes active and generates a massive strike tile a la Sentry Sacrifice.
Reward: OML Black Cover

Node 6: Escape Pappy's Belly
Enemies: None (Pappy's Stomach?)
Battle Type: Special condition. The player must fill the board with 12 strike tiles. Similar to the Ultron Boss battle, special stomach acid tiles drop clearing the bottom of the board and dealing AoE damage to team.
Reward: Latest Legend Token

Essentials

Node 7: The nightmare the morning after
Enemies: Red Skull, Ashely Barton, Kingpin
Team: 3 members (must include Storm)
Battle Type: Normal
Reward: 300HP/CP

Node 8: For Luck, Sir
Enemy: Ultron Eight
Team: 3 members (must include IW)
Battle Type: Ultron Boss Battle
Reward: 20,000 Iso/CP

Node 9: On the Road Again
Enemies: Moloids
Team: 3 members (must include a Wolverine)* Hawkeye is dead so Wolverine essential
Battle Type: Survive the Battle. (4 waves)

Completion of every node: Earn one OML cover

Designer notes:
1. How to level up the loaner OML? Either two methods come to mind: a.) Provide loaner specific Iso-8 after each node or b.) make level ups automatic with each cover addition. I recommend option b to avoid confusion and having people be angry that they lost Iso-8 leveling up the loaner

2. Players already owning an OML will not be able to use it for the event. However, upon completion of each node, the player may use the loaner to go back and do other missions again.

3. Depending on time/resources, NPC characters may either simply be reskins of existing characters or new enemy characters or mix of both. I put suggestions for re-skins in parentheses.

4. No scaling. This event is meant to be set in difficulty.

5. Also include a progression reward system.

6. This idea was first conceptualized in this thread: (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38142)

That's about it. I think Black Suit Spider-Man's Back in Black storyline could even be more easily treated in a similar manner. I think Phoenix and Green Goblin should have a different sort of event but have to think more on what would be interesting and appropriate.

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow, a lot of thought went into this post!

I agree that it would be nice to get to play with some of these 5* characters. It's hard to get too excited about someone like bss or gg, when most of us won't be able to use a fully-covered one ourselves for at least 2-3 years, probably more. It would be nice to see how they work now, instead of waiting that long.
  • johnnyzero
    johnnyzero Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Options
    F4TD, you've done it again! I love everything about this. It takes everything that was great about Growth Industries / Amadeus' Inferno and jacks it up times 10+!

To be completely honest, I'd play this even if there was no guaranteed OML cover at the end. In fact, I'd go so far as to say if this was offered as a sort of story DLC that you had to pay like, 5 bucks for, I'd open my wallet for that.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I applaud the amount of effort that went into this. Well considered. One thing that has always bothered me about these 'free character' events tho.. its always the same color cover being given out.

I would love this idea more of they could create character specific token/currency options for 1-off shops that only contain the 1 character being offered. My personal favorite would be if they could do something like 'Command Points' so that you could have options. Best case the store has 4 buttons:

25 'shards' for a red OML cover
    25 'shards' for a yellow OML cover
    25 'shards' for a black OML cover
    20 'shards' for a cover of a random cover.

This allows the event to allow opportunities for 'partial credit' in the form of shards that could carry over toward the next run of the event. You could put individual shards in as awards individual nodes and also for sub completion.

Hypothetically:
    sub 1: 3 nodes with 1 shard 3
    sub 2: 3 nodes with 1 shard + 5 shards for completing the sub
    sub 3: 4 nodes with 1 shard (or 2 with 1 and 1 with) + 10 shards for completing the sub or +5 for a certain progression score and +5 for finishing.

This way finishing the entire event would allow you to earn just enough shards to buy a cover of your choice of color, but failing some portion of the event might allow you to optionally take a random cover. Or let the shards roll over for the next run of the event.

I would like it if the Hulk PVE and the one that awards Sentry also could do this.

The introduction of cover 'shards' would also allow them to marginally increase the flow of 5* covers (either by including 5* shards as 4* equivalent prizes, or adding them at low odds to some token vaults.)

(I probably should have made this shard idea a separate post instead of burying it in a response to another idea...)
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You forgot one of the best characters to ever face Wolverine. Punisher.
    http://www.againwiththecomics.com/2010/01/in-which-punisher-flattens-wolverine.html
  • AlexxKats
    AlexxKats Posts: 99 Match Maker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I had to dig this up from buried under a ton of suggestions.
    This is golden.
    We need pve to be like this, and not the current grindfest that we have to repeat multiple times the s(h)ame node. And a 5* reward maybe

[deit: i had to go through 65 pages of search related items. search doesn't work as intended. When someone uses 3 keywords, results should be based on all 3 keywords, not per]