Is there a reason you're using invalid certificates?

Mawtful
Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Getting an SSL certificate mismatch on your update page.

The page address is https://api.demiurgeserver1.net/... but you're using a certificate for *.demiurgeserver0.net

I can post pictures if you need.

It really should be a quick fix.

Comments

• CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    On a side note, and just out of curiosity, is there a technical reason why you can't link directly to the App Store (on iOS) and have to pass through a webpage?
  • They do the same thing on Android, even though they should be able to Intent out to the Play Store.. (source: I'm an android developer: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1175 ... pplication)

But I noticed the invalid certs as well today.
  • Hulkster
    Hulkster Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    They do link to the App Store (and Google Play Store on Android) directly.

The thing is that on both iOS and Android the "Check for updates" process is not that frequent. The system determines this based on few factors which I won't bore you with but in some cases it can even be once a week!

The single principle remains:
    The development team would like everyone to update to the latest version as soon as it is published. That's why the application after it is started uses it's own mechanism to check whether there is a new version. If it is it will basicaly open a webpage which redirects to the App Store (or Play Store) page which is then intercepted by the operating system and opened in the Store app.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Certificate is probably just out of date or something.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I saw that too on my Android.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    I see the same invalide certificate on Android.

I guess it's safe to process to the update, but an official confirmation would be nice, thanks.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Doesn't matter if it's android or iOS, the website is the same for both and the certificate is faulty, so any browser should give a warning message.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hulkster wrote:

The thing is that on both iOS and Android the "Check for updates" process is not that frequent. The system determines this based on few factors which I won't bore you with but in some cases it can even be once a week!

The development team would like everyone to update to the latest version as soon as it is published. That's why the application after it is started uses it's own mechanism to check whether there is a new version. If it is it will basicaly open a webpage which redirects to the App Store (or Play Store) page which is then intercepted by the operating system and opened in the Store app.

But, we're saying the opening of this webpage with invalid certificates is completely unnecessary when you can open the app store directly. The fact that this page exists clearly means the link is not direct. The webpage is an unnecessary intermediate step.
  • LakeStone
    LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
    Hi Everyone -

Thank you for letting us know and we fixed it this morning. Please let us know if you still see it pop-up today.

Thanks!
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    firethorne wrote:
    Hulkster wrote:

But, we're saying the opening of this webpage with invalid certificates is completely unnecessary when you can open the app store directly. The fact that this page exists clearly means the link is not direct. The webpage is an unnecessary intermediate step.

Opening the app store directly introduces a branch in the code that they'd probably rather not have (if on Android, fire this intent, if on iOS, do whatever they do to launch the app store). Going to the webpage simplifies the code in that it can be the same on both Android and iOS (if there's an update, launch this website). It's a conscious choice, and not necessarily a bad one.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Opening the app store directly introduces a branch in the code that they'd probably rather not have (if on Android, fire this intent, if on iOS, do whatever they do to launch the app store). Going to the webpage simplifies the code in that it can be the same on both Android and iOS (if there's an update, launch this website). It's a conscious choice, and not necessarily a bad one.

Android uses completely different system APIs from iOS and where Android apps are written in (a dialect of) Java, iOS apps are written in Objective-C...