Have we seen the last 3*?

Calnexin
Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Is the game now a solid core of 1-3*, with the only new content being 4* transitioning to 5* (and up?)

The last round of 3*s released was the Avengers tie-in - Witch, Quicksilver, Vision. That was almost a year ago. Since then they added 1* Spiderman, which is neat for new players, but not exactly core play.

Those additions completed the Deadpool Daily cycle of 5, and the legendary battles in that are also tied to the 5-day cycle. That event is now streamlined - adding 1 or 2 x 3*s to the mix would disrupt the chain. The only way to expand that without disrupting the pattern would be 5 new 3* characters.

2* has been static since I started. 1* had that Spiderman addition, but otherwise nothing. 3* looks like it's at its terminus, with no new characters in a year. Does anyone know, or have a rumor, if the 3* tier is locked down at this point? Is there a 3* wave to look forward to? Is development solely focused on 4* plus from here on?

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    40 3* is enough, the dev's said they have nothing planned as far as releasing another 3*, but maybe way in the future there may be one (probably a joke character, since we have 2* bagman 4* dino, a 3* joke char would be the only place for it).

So you can be safe rostering the current 3*s and maxing them , without worrying about another one popping up and having to start it from scratch any time soon.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I kept hoping for more...now that we have champions at least we can keep looking forward to heroic tokens occasional 3* draw now.

They'll never release another one. My question is do they want the tiers each to be so much higher - if 2* is fifteen (I don't remember how many) and 3* is forty do they want there to be 80 4*'s?
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    In reality we are nearing 40 as the number of 4*. Wondering what will happen then.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Um, we have 26 4*s in the game at the moment. Honestly, given the distribution, they shouldn't add too many more unless they do something funky to the PVP rewards. We'll see, I suppose.

The official word from David was that they intend to add characters at every tier in the future, however 3*s are less likely to be added as they are the largest tier at the moment.

I suspect we'll see 4*s and 5*s until we hit a certain point, then they'll probably do some more 2*s and eventually 3*s.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bring it on, I say! Now with champing, I have loads of HP, so I'll be able to pay all roster slots.

I've champed almost all my 3*s. Just have Vision and Bullseye left. Once I finish those two, I'll have to start champing my 4*s, such as jg, hb and rhulk. Although every now and then, I might champ some 2*s as well, just for the fun prizes (5 CP, I'm looking at you!!!).
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    I'm fine with 4*, but I would like to see the resurgence of some 3* eventually. I think true comic fans are not enjoying seeing characters in the 4 and 5* range who would be considered a 3 or 2* based on power levels in comics. It'll be like if they add Jubliee which has been rumored since last year that she would be a 2, but if they add her as a 4* to me it would just depend on what variation of her they would use. I couldn't justify them using her as 4 if they used classic Jubilee, but after House of M when she has her Vampirism/ Wondra powers then I would say yes she is 4*.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Um, we have 26 4*s in the game at the moment. Honestly, given the distribution, they shouldn't add too many more unless they do something funky to the PVP rewards. We'll see, I suppose.

The official word from David was that they intend to add characters at every tier in the future, however 3*s are less likely to be added as they are the largest tier at the moment.

I suspect we'll see 4*s and 5*s until we hit a certain point, then they'll probably do some more 2*s and eventually 3*s.

26 4*
    40 3*
    5 5*

They need to slow their roll on new characters and work on the scaling issues and on delivering us new content in which to use these toons. Eventually the whales will realize that all these shiny new Characters are doing in giving them new ways to fight the same Tired Geriatric Dark Avengers and slightly different PvP combos until a new team meta shakes out. Then what? all of the events we play are stale. We need new stuff! The 500th running of a Heroic PvE is not fun.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Philly484 wrote:
    I'm fine with 4*, but I would like to see the resurgence of some 3* eventually. I think true comic fans are not enjoying seeing characters in the 4 and 5* range who would be considered a 3 or 2* based on power levels in comics.

I concur. That's part of my concern - that the game is departing from the fiction. Fan-wise, it's a little ridiculous to think that 5* Green Goblin was repeatedly defeated by 3* Spiderman. When you've got god-like forces like Phoenix and Surfer at that tier, a maniac on a glider shouldn't really be in contention for the slot.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd much rather be given a reason to express more interest in the 3*s I have, but have no interest in leveling. they did that with im40 but fell short with QS and vision. QS was a definite improvement, but not enough reason for me to put iso into him over my 4*s. im40 jumped to the head of the line for me.

now, if they could take a swing at spidey, rags, psylocke, punisher, tweak sentry, squirrel - that's what I'd prefer over a 41st or 42nd character.

and in the meantime, addressing cho and MFer would be great! and maybe SS too.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I think if they do ever decide to release more 3*s, they need to find a way to narrow the power gap between 4*s and 3*s. There are a lot of people with all the 3*s (although I'm still missing Cyke, sigh) who can't really justify using them because scaling/MMR prevents them from being viable. When maxed and buffed (but not required) they should all be at parity with the strongest characters on a player's roster, and that currently isn't even close to true. When required, they should be buffed (and the level/field of other buffed chars should be designed) to the point where the whole fight is about them.
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Calnexin wrote:
    Philly484 wrote:
    I'm fine with 4*, but I would like to see the resurgence of some 3* eventually. I think true comic fans are not enjoying seeing characters in the 4 and 5* range who would be considered a 3 or 2* based on power levels in comics.

I concur. That's part of my concern - that the game is departing from the fiction. Fan-wise, it's a little ridiculous to think that 5* Green Goblin was repeatedly defeated by 3* Spiderman. When you've got god-like forces like Phoenix and Surfer at that tier, a maniac on a glider shouldn't really be in contention for the slot.

Yeah to me It's like I get them adding characters we want to see, but the game is slowly becoming the higher tier MMR, or it's already there. I think they need to add something to the game that makes using 3* just as viable as their 4* counterpart. I mean once we have all are champs championed which for some will be a while what then?
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Philly484 wrote:
    I'm fine with 4*, but I would like to see the resurgence of some 3* eventually. I think true comic fans are not enjoying seeing characters in the 4 and 5* range who would be considered a 3 or 2* based on power levels in comics. It'll be like if they add Jubliee which has been rumored since last year that she would be a 2, but if they add her as a 4* to me it would just depend on what variation of her they would use. I couldn't justify them using her as 4 if they used classic Jubilee, but after House of M when she has her Vampirism/ Wondra powers then I would say yes she is 4*.

Star level has absolutely nothing to do with the characters power level in the comics. You don't need to be a 'true comic fan' to be unable to grasp this simple principle I hope.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Hopefully. I feel like we have an adequate amount of 3* characters, going back to level one up now that I am firmly planted in the 4* transition would feel like a step backwards. It would be like saying, 'You know what I really need to do to help myself progress? Take a break from working on my 4* roster so I can level up a character to help me work on my 4* roster'. There's just something self defeating about that.

It's no different than when I was making my 3* transition. All of a sudden the 2* characters became a lot less appealing. I think a lot of people are intimidated by making the 4* transition and rightfully so. They aren't exactly making it easy on us. Iso costs, the likelihood of pulling a completely useless cover (or even worse a useless character), and the effect of on scaling when you finally have a few good characters to level up. Eventually you have to take the plunge, and while it might be hard going at first you will only be better off for it in the long run.
  • Magic wrote:
    In reality we are nearing 40 as the number of 4*. Wondering what will happen then.

I get the feeling that's why we're starting to see them alternate between 4*s and 5*s.

Eventually, 4*s will get as plentiful as 3*s, and then what happens?

Sure, we can add more 1*, 2*, and 3*s, but when a huge part of the userbase is already past that level, would you even care?

It took "Become one of the best AP batteries in the game" to get people to care about IM40. And any new 3* that's based on damage is still going to look wimpy next to a 4*. People get bummed when a new 4* isn't good enough to shake up the Hulkbuster/Jean/Iceman/Rulk meta. What hope does a 3* have?