Ex-Player testing the waters again...

ToryTory
ToryTory Posts: 77 Match Maker
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Greetings all! I was a long and avid player of yonder days and I've been forum lurking for the past month. I decided to come back after a long debate ( not really I love marvel and all its creations ), but am a bit hesitant to commit. The game has always had issues, but things seem to be a bit better off than when I last quit.

My guild ( ChaosRising ) has lost all of its core members. My original account is also on Steam, which severely limits my play time, along with about 500$ spent. CS will not transfer my account, and I'm forced to start over from scratch on my iPad since im mostly on the road these days.

So tl;dr what's everyone's opinion of the game so far? I'm dragging my feet through mud in the prologue but it's not too bad yet. First node of pvp takes 15 mins a match so I stopped that. Can't play PVE since I'm somehow getting owned on the opening node too.

Play? Or move along?

Comments

• dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Starting from scratch is very easy if you know your way around the game. Go step by step - build up your 1*s in the prologue, then once you have a few covers, try out everything else.

Here's how I did it for my alt account.
    viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=31838&hilit=+N00b
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Spend a few bucks on the new account too, then ask CS to merge them again...seems to be possible according to the gossip around town.
  • ToryTory
    ToryTory Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Starting from scratch is very easy if you know your way around the game. Go step by step - build up your 1*s in the prologue, then once you have a few covers, try out everything else.

Here's how I did it for my alt account.
    viewtopic.php?style=1&f=7&t=31838&hilit=+N00b

I know my way around starting over. I'm just debating if I want to re-invest the time and the effort. icon_razz.gif I've sold basically all my 1* covers except IM30 and Juggy. Once Juggy gets maxed, I should be on my way to OBW/Thor/Dakken, and just save Jug for DDQ.
    You can play the Steam account on the road. Doesn't take much of a PC to run Steam and MPQ. Add a cell phone you can use as a modem and you're off to the races.

I played a good chunk of the first Galactus event this way, in a hotel room in Atlanta.

The thing is I have an iPad and iPhone already. Not really looking to replace them anytime soon.
    Ludaa wrote:
    Spend a few bucks on the new account too, then ask CS to merge them again...seems to be possible according to the gossip around town.

That's shady if it is true. You'd figure $500 on my first account would be enough to get some form of one time transfer. It just upsets me how they used to do it in the beta, but dropped it completely.

Thanks for the inputs so far. I'll lurk around some more.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    i wouldnt want to get sucked in again.
    move on, find something less frustrating.

when being forced to start from scratch, i wouldnt think twice.
  • starting a new account is insanity.
    unless you have no problems spending over 100$ right from the start for slots because 1 token can give almost a 100 different characters, so you never get what you want and have to sell 80% immediately due to lack of slots.
  • There are far too many characters now to start playing from scratch. As posted above roster slot costs alone will eat you alive. I still struggle to afford them and I've been playing a year.

This is a game that you can only do well at if you've been playing it since the start. It isn't physically possible for someone joining now to have a real chance at playing competitively, no matter how much money they drop on the game.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Don't come back. The game can be fun if you abandon the perception that you're supposed to be competitive, and just treat it like Farmville for Iso, but honestly I think everyone realizes this isn't the most fun thing they could be doing with their time. If you aren't invested, there's no reason to voluntarily subject yourself to that.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    This thread makes me sad for several reasons ...

1) that the answer is basically "My god ... run away as fast as you can!" reflects incredibly poorly on the reality of the gameplay

2) that CS won't merge his account

3) that we all still play this game (see #1)
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    chamber44 wrote:
    1) that the answer is basically "My god ... run away as fast as you can!" reflects incredibly poorly on the reality of the gameplay
    as a forum regular, why does that surprise you?
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey! Don't let the Debbie Downers here get to you. MPQ had come a long way in two years, though, I totally agree that you need to manage your expectations, especially if you're not going to be playing mega competitive.

First thing's first, if you opened a ticket recently, I'd drop David [Hi-Fi] Moore a message and see if he, as community manager, can pull some strings to get a transfer. Last I heard, they do them, but just rarely because it's time intensive since they send you every cover one by one to the new account. Doesn't hurt to try, right?

As for if you have to start from scratch, if you need an Alliance drop me a message, I can make you a spot somewhere for thay extra ISO, bit transitioning into and out of 3*s is easy than it's ever been. People are just grumpy.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me here or on LINE.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    ammenell wrote:
    chamber44 wrote:
    as a forum regular, why does that surprise you?
    it doesn't (and i didn't say that it did)
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you're on the road a lot with steady wi-fi access, I say start it up again. But this time, maybe not the $500 investment.

This game has held my attention more than any other FTP game I've tried. I spend more time than I should on it. If you're on the road, you could plug it in between work duties to kill on PvE events. And without home amenities, it's a great way to pass the time, provided you've got enough to do between health pack restoration (it's 10 now - could've been 5 when you quit).

The end-game grind toward 4 and 5* is pretty brutal. You can't do it without cash. But you don't need to go that far to enjoy it. It's a nice little game with a good sense of progression and a lot to work towards. Perfect for road work.
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2016
    I say, "Welcome back." icon_e_biggrin.gif

The game is better than ever. As someone who has been playing for a long time, I don't like that d3 doesn't add new star.pngstar.pngstar.png characters but that actually works to a new or returning player's advantage. Going clear back to the beginning, it's true that star.png Iron Man and Juggernaut are the characters you'll want at least one of to keep but try the new star.png Spider-Man out. He's (ahem) advantageous.* The newer game mechanics, Command Points commandpoints.png , Legendary Tokens token_legendary.png , and Champions are great. The Command Points give me something else to strive for--and a big "Thank you" to members of my Alliance (PDX Geeks) who spend enough real money to provide the entire group with CP. I love the thrill of opening a Legendary Token for a star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png or star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png character, even if the result is sometimes a little disappointing. Last but not least is the Champion program. I love that those extra star.pngstar.png and star.pngstar.pngstar.png covers aren't all just ready to be sold for ISO but can still help many of my characters. If you've been gone long enough, you may have missed the start of Deadpool's Daily Quest. It's a PVE event that changes every day and is a terrific way to earn some rewards.

My entire family enjoys this game. All three adults in my house play plus our thirteen year old has his own account. Our six year old loves to play, too, when we let her use one of our iPhones. We also bought the Xbox One version of the game and all five of us are enjoying that, too.

Are there problems? Yeah. ISO starvation is real! ("ISO! ISO! My kingdom for some ISO!") Overall, though, I love this game.

*If you understand that reference then you're probably old like me. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    If you have an established steam account but need to play on your mobile, try chrome remote desktop. In some ways it's a better mobile localization than the iOS version. (I haven't tried android.)
  • TheDrStrange
    TheDrStrange Posts: 89 Match Maker
    I've been playing for about a year, and I'm still totally hooked. Daily Deadpool, Command Points/Legendary Tokens, and Champions have all been great additions to the game. My basic suggestions are:
    Only spend HP on roster slots.
    Save your ISO, and try not to spend it on anything but leveling/championing your guys.
    Keep only one 1 Star hero. Iron Man or Juggs is best.
    Enjoy!