Stop letting people merge accounts

babinro
babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
For those who aren't aware there are conditions where D3 will allow people to merge two accounts together using one of the following two options in the spoiler below:

Option 1) We transfer all, to-date, in-game currency purchases of Iso-8 and Hero Points from one account to the one chosen for play.

or...

Option 2) We transfer all current Roster Character Comic Covers, the Iso-8 used to level them, Hero Points used to purchase Roster Slots, as well as any unused Iso-8 and Hero Points from one account to the one chosen for play.

From what I've seen Option 2 is being abused by veteran players to slingshot their progression into the 5* endgame.

People are using this to go from having a couple of 5* covers to having championed 5*'s in using a tiny fraction of the money needed to make this happen from legitimate play. In addition to the covers they get the lifetime amount of ISO and HP to instantly champion pretty much all of their remaining 4*s and 3*'s.

Does earning 20 five star covers, 4 million ISO and 100,000 HP cost them $15,000.00? Of course not. Accounts go for maybe $500.00. Mind you the bargain isn't really what's important here. It's the fact that this is even allowed to happen.

EVERYONE but the mergers are hurt by this.

- People who have supported D3 with thousands of dollars instantly have a weaker roster than the merged player who got there by supporting a complete stranger.
- The merged player who has likely supported D3 quite a bit in the last 1 or 2 years now has almost no reason to ever make another legit in game purchase because of their gains in ISO, HP and covers putting them in the top 1% of the game in terms of roster strength.
- Awareness of this policy has clearly driven others to merge leading to even less support for the developers.

This practice actively costs D3 revenue while greatly devaluing the purchases made by supporters.

I've spent $500.00 on MPQ in the last 2 years essentially buying 5 starks. I'm not only jealous of the vets who have successfully merged but I feel ripped off for choosing to give money to the developers of this game. Instead of 10,000 HP I could have all my 5*'s championed several levels and have a completely championed 4* roster nearing the level 290 range now. But no. I was stupid and gave my hard earned money to the devs. Guess I'll just have to take easy hits from those merged accounts and lose pvp placement to them for my decision.

You have daily buy clubs being formed to benefit from alliance CP rewards. Some of these clubs have minimum requirements several stark purchases and yet regulars in these buy clubs are WAY WAY behind the progress of a single merged account. I have a hard time believing they'd be cool with this practice.

I realize this is more of a butt-hurt rant than anything truly constructive and I'm sorry.

I also recognize that there are less exploitative reasons to merge accounts. Some people play this game on a mobile device while also playing on PC. After doing this for a few months they might request to merge the accounts. While this situation is certainly a lot more genuine it still serves to slingshot progression because of a deliberate decision the player chose to make. Just being able to do 2x ddq's a day should quickly show how it impacts the progression of ISO and cover gains.

I feel as though the reason people aren't more upset or outspoken about this is because it's been kept relatively quiet. I really hope to see people speak up on this issue even if they are in favour if keeping merged accounts.